Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Looking like we might get the lowest daily volume record today...

Max Pee updated, marginally more calls than puts at $845, if that was frozen now, then the MM's target would be $842.50 +/- $2.49

Although the delta between puts and calls is pretty marginal, even at $850, so not over until the fat short squeals...

upload_2021-2-5_15-2-50.png

Looking like we might get the lowest daily volume record today...

Max Pee updated, marginally more calls than puts at $845, if that was frozen now, then the MM's target would be $842.50 +/- $2.49

Although the delta between puts and calls is pretty marginal, even at $850, so not over until the fat short squeals...

View attachment 634159

Thanks @Lycanthrope. Are you essentially suggesting we have already started a 3 day weekend (TSLA trading flat today) with a Gap Up on Monday? That’s my read of the tea leaves. Lots of good news at the end of this week, but not so much that MM’s can’t coil up the TSLA spring towards 840 for just one more day. But I am guessing they let go of it sometime Monday morning. There will simply be too much excitement and FOMO around a $2T stimulus plan - which might have contributed to BlackRock’s decision to take a 5.3% stake in TSLA

In my first two years of owning a Model S I drove quite a lot. I charged about 85% of the miles at home over night and about 15% at SCs. I did an estimate of time spent/lost charging (5-10 seconds per plug in and out at home + all the time spent at superchargers) and then I estimated the number of times I would have had to go to a gas station to get diesel and how long that would take on average each time, doing all my filling on my way to or from somewhere. It came out to 30-50% less time spent refueling with the Model S, even though I had spent quite a few hours at superchargers.
And we can then add in all the time spent dealing with routine ICE maintenance (either doing it yourself or taking it in) plus the money spent on fuel (money = time after all).

People who are too lazy to think will always discount the actions they see as "normal" and freak out about those that are new.

Thanks @Lycanthrope. Are you essentially suggesting we have already started a 3 day weekend (TSLA trading flat today) with a Gap Up on Monday? That’s my read of the tea leaves. Lots of good news at the end of this week, but not so much that MM’s can’t coil up the TSLA spring towards 840 for just one more day. But I am guessing they let go of it sometime Monday morning. There will simply be too much excitement and FOMO around a $2T stimulus plan - which might have contributed to BlackRock’s decision to take a 5.3% stake in TSLA

1% down today methinks, then hopefully the usual Monday bump. All down to volume, really, none right now, so the MM's do what they will.

When will that change? No idea. I see nothing but good news for Tesla right now, but since when did that make any difference?

Bracing for the next Big Boing

(TSLA equivalent of the Big Bang, creating wealth from first principles... only it happens slightly more frequently)

An interesting video focusing on all the warts, many of which have been acknowledged in this forum already. Granted, some of what the host goes on about is taken out of context, though a lot of it is accurate enough. It doesn't come across as a hit piece, but a little sour grapes flavor can be detected.

Anyway, worth a watch, if for no other reason than to keep a balanced data set entering the cranium.

Quite amazing. Alex, E for Electric, simply reiterates the main street media bashing points (competition is coming, it's easy for others to build an EV, there is no battery advantage, there is no FSD advantage, FSD need Lidar, the dreaded panel gaps, other EVs have better range and are outselling Tesla), briming with heresay, mistruths and at worst lies. From 0:00 to 18:42 is inconvenient unsubstantiated dribble. I would suggest you skip to the 18:43 of this 19:02 podcast whereby Alex states the unmitigated truth:

"If it wasn't for Tesla, we would not see all these amazing electric cars come to the market. Hell, I would not have this job that I love."

So Alex, you credit Tesla for single handedly bringing the EV evolution to fruition for all auto manufacturers, and credit Tesla for your very livelihood, yet you won't buy another Tesla because of panel gaps which have since been corrected.
No more E for Electric for me, one year!

I don't think the Amazon Van development has much bearing on the timelines of the R1 program (for most part, independent dev teams). The van in question is not nearly as far along as the R1 protos out in the wild.
several months back I read a small BELIEVABLE article that forecast the Rivian Pick-up and SUV would not be the focus of Rivian because the major investment by an Auto Manufacturer (Ford? I can't remember) was dramatically reduced or withdrawn, and AMAZON was the PRIME BACKER of Rivian. And Amazon ain't interested in no stinking gentleman's Pick-up.
So Rivian was going to become a Panel van producer for years before it got to make the Pick-ups in any quantities at all.

Seems like Blackrock's stake has increased (there was some speculation earlier)

tweet3.JPG

several months back I read a small BELIEVABLE article that forecast the Rivian Pick-up and SUV would not be the focus of Rivian because the major investment by an Auto Manufacturer (Ford? I can't remember) was dramatically reduced or withdrawn, and AMAZON was the PRIME BACKER of Rivian. And Amazon ain't interested in no stinking gentleman's Pick-up.
So Rivian was going to become a Panel van producer for years before it got to make the Pick-ups in any quantities at all.
Yeah it was ford. They cancelled their joint plans. That bolded bit was my thesis as well.

Last edited:
Over the decades quite a few people I have known have been in this situation and I have been myself. No person I have met who had enough money to avoid other gainful employment lacked motivation to work. People who don't have any money sometimes think that money is the sole motivation to work. That is not true. Work is its own reward. In many cases, money is an accepted medium of exchange.

I have known a number of very, very wealthy people, every one of them worked alongside less wealthy people and tended to avoid obvious ostentation. Many of us on this board could change our lives due to TSLA, among other things. The vast majority of us do not seem to change much. Line workers of Tesla from the early days often continue in their jobs without change. (I personally know a few of them, but they are not very visible).

As investors in this magnificent company we might well be pleased that there are many workers and investors who value the mission above material gain. FWIW, recently I was involved in a discussion with a member of this board discussing the prospect of making TSLA a beneficiary of our wills. After all, what company is doing more to advance the cause of human survival as a species? Is not that a worthy cause?

Finally, what you describe as "...degree of tolerance..." is quite often the result of differing perspectives, not inherent stupidity or malice. In these days of serious conflict it is easy to ascribe malicious intent or deficient mental ability to people who have different opinions than have we. That is very sad.
I agree that sometimes it it a different perspective however when the administrative team of an hospital goes against the recommendation of 15 other hospitals in the province where surgeries are still being done for patients waiting over 2 years in a waiting list, when you meet the administration, offer 3 alternatives, and they do not make any change, I would not qualify this a different opinion on the subject, just blatant incompetence. Might be a a different perspective that doesn’t make things done for the sake of maintaining statu quo. People are dying suffering at home on narcotics and administration refuses to spend ressources to build temporary facilities to accommodate the extra hospitalization beds required for Covid19 and hospitalized patients is of course a different perspective: cost saving or indirect murder?

That’s what I like about Tesla, being one of the most efficient, most versatile and fastest changing company in the world, the complete opposite of 2 of the 3 public hospitals I work at. The private medical Center I work at is operating much like Tesla, they function on the exact opposite perspective of the former 2.

Back from a week ban, hooray! Personally I'm fine with this new dynamic of millennials keeping TSLA as their "cash" and us having to take a hit once in a while when they want to move into Reddit stocks. Being a new universal currency has it's ups and downs!

Guess I am quite basic. TSLA is my savings account of which I occasionally make withdraws or borrow from for exactly that.

OT
{ SO many are coming back from forced vacations reminds me of my old coaching days.
We were playing for the state title is Soccer. I am in Florida it is a bit of a Soccer State. Well near halftime the ref stops the match and goes over to talk to the opposing coach. Then I see him get his book out so I trot over and ask him what he was doing. The ref actually was booking their Head Coach for Unsportsmanlike Conduct. I lose it.
I start screaming at the Ref, "If you are giving him a Yellow Card you MUST GIVE ME ONE. I have been just as critical of your refereeing as he has been!"
The Ref smiles and walks away. I continue, "My Players will lose respect for me if you do not give me a Yellow card RIGHT NOW." He doesn't look back.
It didn't work. We lost 4-1 if I remember right. If it had not been raining we'd have lost by 10.

Oh, and welcome back Francis.

I agree that sometimes it it a different perspective however when the administrative team of an hospital goes against the recommendation of 15 other hospitals in the province where surgeries are still being done for patients waiting over 2 years in a waiting list, when you meet the administration, offer 3 alternatives, and they do not make any change, I would not qualify this a different opinion on the subject, just blatant incompetence. Might be a a different perspective that doesn’t make things done for the sake of maintaining statu quo. People are dying suffering at home on narcotics and administration refuses to spend ressources to build temporary facilities to accommodate the extra hospitalization beds required for Covid19 and hospitalized patients is of course a different perspective: cost saving or indirect murder?

That’s what I like about Tesla, being one of the most efficient, most versatile and fastest changing company in the world, the complete opposite of 2 of the 3 public hospitals I work at. The private medical Center I work at is operating much like Tesla, they function on the exact opposite perspective of the former 2.
This is a very important distinction, in my opinion. The political issue that destroy rational thinking are invariably soul-destroying. Forgive me fi that sounds hyperbolic. Large pubic corporations behave similarly with similar negative results, sometimes life-threatening too.

One basic investment rule I follow is that I will invest only in something that I believe is devoted to integrity. Superficiality is impossible with integrity. Mistakes are not. That is why I think I share your perspective.