Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
a local Hungarian Youtuber who is a major Tesla fan and had the chance to try out an LFP variant. Even around ~0C he saw 30 kW "super"charging when cold, that could go up to ~60-70 sustained after hours and hours of driving and preconditioning. Range also went down way more significantly than with the NCAs, to 230km @120km/h, despite the heatpump.
Oh yeah, how did the NCA SR+ preform along side under identical conditions? Oh, he didn't do that? So 'anecdotes', not evidence.

Here is the charging curve of the NCA vs LFP variants. Blue line is SR+ with Nevada cells, red is LFP charging on Ionity (350 kW), yellow is LFP on V2 Supercharger. Pack has been pre-heated in all cases and the tester is legit.
2021-02-04-tesla-sr-lfp-problema-01-2048x1152.png.webp
Lol, where's the charging curve with the LFP battery in standard conditions? ie: 20C temp. This is not a scientific test where there is an independant variable (temp) and a dependant variable (charging speed).

NO information is provided on the effect of temperature on charging speed. Does it charge at 75KW at 20C? He doesn't say. It looks more like the BMS is limiting charging to 75KW, which is more than sufficient for me (and almost exactly the same charging speed I have experienced in a new Aug 2019 Fremont-build SR+ in 20C temps).

Strangely, I am NOT taking the doubtlessly sincere efforts of hungarian bloggers, or reports on 'Torque News', as the definative word on LFP charging. My use case is city driving, and the car will be plugged in and kept warm when not it use. It's fit for purpose, and soundly more economical overall than the SR+ and that's a winner for owners who fit the use case.

Tesla will have no problem finding buyers for ever single LFP Model 3 they can build.

Cheers!

The major advantage of LFP is that you can plug it in, charge it to 100%, and leave it there while the cars waits in the garage for the next time you venture out.
LFP still degrades faster at high SOC than lower SOC, especially at higher temperatures. Since it's generally a higher cycle life chemistry it may not be significant.

CATL makes the entire pack (cells+case+wiring) for the MiC Model 3 LFP. If Tesla were to import that pack for vehicles built in Fremont, the packs would NOT pass through Sparks, NV. So I'm not sure how Bill could have any inside knowledge of such an arrangement.

If a significant # of Fremont cars were no longer going to need GFN SR 3/Y packs because they were getting direct-shipped CATL ones, it seems likely someone would've mentioned that to the GFN people so they didn't keep building more 3/Y packs than were actually needed.

CATL makes the entire pack (cells+case+wiring) for the MiC Model 3 LFP. If Tesla were to import that pack for vehicles built in Fremont, the packs would NOT pass through Sparks, NV. So I'm not sure how Bill could have any inside knowledge of such an arrangement.

Prolly a good thing too, since he'd be walking a thin line with revealing inside information. Remember the gal who would tweet about weekly volume at the paintshop in Fremont? Yeah, she got let go for violating here NDA with those tweets. Her twitter feed is now restricted for public viewing.
Good point. According to that Twitter account from a worker at giga sparks, cell constrained to the point where they ran production machines without preventive maintenance in the 4th quarter. In other words, order book is full. He also claims that 1.1 million is the internal target for Tesla this year.

Great post - fully agree. Hidden just below the ‘feel good’ surface appears to be another layer of protectionism for the not-so-big 3 auto makers that made a conscious decision to not transition when it mattered most - with EVs and with EV charging infrastructure. A part of us should be upset that we are once again bailing out Detroit and that our kids and grandkids will be paying for their failed EV transition and their EV charging infrastructure after Elon showed the world over the last decade that this wasn’t necessary. And it literally feels as if language in this bill, and all the public discussions surrounding it might also be designed to hurt Tesla’s 2021 delivery numbers by creating a situation where buyers may delay their Q1 purchases, followed by an unnecessary cap per manufacturer which only Tesla could be hurt by in 2021 as well. And ‘conveniently’ if they delay signing the bill they may prolong Q1 and maybe Q2 angst for Tesla shoppers, and if they quickly pass the bill they accelerate Tesla sales hitting the vehicles cap. Ugggh.

I do wonder if it was Tesla’s greater understanding of how this language may effect them that was the catalyst for lowering prices.......and if so, a brilliantly played move IMO. Fight back by pounding through the sales cap ASAP and then putting significant pressure on lawmakers to prioritize fighting Climate Change over fighting a paradigm shift away from Detroit and Wall Street, and then use the power of Social Media and millions of loyal Tesla fans to help raise awareness to the need to extend/eliminate the vehicles cap and help turn up that heat after Tesla blows through that cap in mind blowing fashion.

From the 50,000 foot level this isn’t the time to get lost in cognitive dissonance down in the weeds over what side of the aisle is doing a better job trying to move the needle. This is the time to make sure both sides of the aisle are doing everything they can to move the needle forward as fast as they can to save our Planet.

Regardless of how this plays out, everyone here already knows that Tesla won’t have more than a few vehicles left in inventory anywhere on the planet at the end of 2021, regardless of what kind of screwing they may get from DC in the final language of this bill. And what those people looking to shackle Tesla until others can catch up haven’t yet come to grips with is that Tesla will also be down to its last few Powerwalls, and Powerpacks, and Megapacks, and solar panels, and solar roofs, and everything else in the Tesla Store at the end of 2021 as well. And that this will be the case for every product that Tesla makes at the end of every year for the rest of this decade. And every person buying every one of those Tesla products is equally as important as anyone that decides to buy a Chevy Bolt or a Mustang E instead. Thus the language in that bill needs to put consumers before manufacturers if anyone wants to pretend this is a free market economy.
Yes, this, you nailed it, thank you. I wish I could as eloquently express in words as well as you did the feelings I have towards the EV credits.

100% this "layer of protectionism" is what really irks me. It's so evident it hurts; the narrative from Washington is that these credits help citizens transition to lower emission vehicles, but the reality is it's more of a lifeline to Big Auto and China than anything else.

If Washington was truly focused on solving climate change, they would not place such a low cap on manufacturers; and if they truly cared about American jobs, they certainly wouldn't put a cap on American EV manufacturers.

I'm going to email senators a synopsis of what you wrote in an attempt to expand the credits to few years or a percentage of EVs sold. Earth and all of its inhabitants depend on it.

Strangely, I am NOT taking the doubtlessly sincere efforts of hungarian bloggers, or reports on 'Torque News', as the definative word on LFP charging. My use case is city driving, and the car will be plugged in and kept warm when not it use. It's fit for purpose, and soundly more economical overall than the SR+ and that's a winner for owners who fit the use case.

Tesla will have no problem finding buyers for ever single LFP Model 3 they can build.
I have to agree with mrdoubleb here. On the Dutch TMC forums there are a lots of complaints about range and charging issues with the MIC SR+. It seems the LFP pack has a much flatter voltage curve when discharging making it much harder for the BMS to correctly estimate the remaining state of charge. This results in much lower range estimates and sometimes sudden empty batteries during driving.
The advise to charge to 100% is (also) apparently necessary to help the BMS with its estimate.

Nextmove (German EV rental company; relatively objective towards Tesla) has released a detailed video
warning buyers. This news hasn't reached mainstream media yet, but it will at some point.

Fortunately (for Tesla and the SR+ owners) the weather is getting better, so the problems should go away until the next winter. It seems mostly a BMS (so software) issue that should be fixable by OTA. Tesla has promised to fix the issue, but up to now (afaik) nothing.

Quite sloppy imho and has the potential to become a PR nightmare.

Prolly a good thing too, since he'd be walking a thin line with revealing inside information. Remember the gal who would tweet about weekly volume at the paintshop in Fremont? Yeah, she got let go for violating here NDA with those tweets. Her twitter feed is now restricted for public viewing.

I was following her before she got into trouble and still see her Tweets. After initially being a bit upset about things she's again very supportive of Tesla and The Mission, more power to her!

Woo hoo, 800 here we come! Maybe not today or even tomorrow, but on our way to 1K...

Will be interesting to see how the disastrous debacle in Texas will affect Tesla... I expect one could sleep well in the closed bed of a Cybertruck! But before that, I hope the people of Texas get the help they need to recover and the changes they need to make sure this doesn't happen again. Going to be pretty wild there for a while I would bet.

• Funny
Reactions: Nocturnal and Hrtme
Woo hoo, 800 here we come! Maybe not today or even tomorrow, but on our way to 1K...

Will be interesting to see how the disastrous debacle in Texas will affect Tesla... I expect one could sleep well in the closed bed of a Cybertruck! But before that, I hope the people of Texas get the help they need to recover and the changes they need to make sure this doesn't happen again. Going to be pretty wild there for a while I would bet.
OT:

I hope so too...I donated to Home Page - East Texas Food Bank today.