Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I work for a publicity traded company and I can tell you that morale is affected if/when the stock is down 20%. Now imagine -40% in a few months. But please lecture me some more....
So, the publicly traded company is Tesla, right? Because if it’s not, you’re still talking out your ear. Because the employees at your company are not Tesla employees. Because the culture is different. Because Tesla employees wanted a lower SP so they could more easily purchase shares in their company. Because those Tesla employees never got the chance to purchase shares at the intended stock split price, like ever and still can’t. Because the SP actually appreciated beyond my math skills since the split that was supposed to be to help those employees BUY stock.

Let me make an equally ridiculous leap of logic. All Habs fans are rude because you were. Interestingly enough, I know for a fact they are not since I actually know quite a few.

FYI, the person on the other end of the conversation might also have worked for a publicly trade company at some point and therefore might just also have some firsthand experience.

All the speculation about Tesla being a supplier to any US pickup builder is doing so without very much logical basis, in my opinion:
1. GM (Chevrolet,GMC, Hummer)- GM has a long standing practice of buying many components from Tier One suppliers, largely ignoring the sub providers. They have had a long practice of avoiding any direct drivetrain supplier identification with two exceptions, Cummins and Detroit Diesel (formerly GM anyway). Those are mostly gone anyway. Tesla as a supplier? Ain't likely! Just think of GM bureaucracy.
2. Ford- They are powerfully convinced of their perpetual dominance with the F-150 despite recent inroads from Ram. Would they buy a Tesla identified powertrain? Not impossible but unlikely.
3. Ram (Chrysler now Stellantis); They've been on a roll recently with highly competitive ultra-NA centric packaging. "A North American luxury car with a bed in the back". This is a new game since C. Tavaras is inclined to make surprises. Still he's a trifle proud too. He's allegedly not too thrilled about the Tesla pool he inherited. Would he allow Tesla inside the house more deeply? That is possible but much more likely would be EU cooperation fo some type. OTOH they're doing well with the 205 and 2008 electrics plus the light utility trucks.
4. Toyota is doing well and detests BEV's. They'll never do anything other than lots fo hybrids until absolutely forced to do so. They'd die before dealing with Tesla again.
5. That leaves Nissan. They will not go to the pickup electrification until the make car transitions. Anyway, their pickup is NA only anyway.

Tony logic it seems a pipe dream to imagine anything going.

Anyway Tesla is devoting all efforts to expanding structural batteries and huge casting. Those related developments make outside sales quite remote. besides, "everyone knows there's no competitive advantage in motors and all that gear. It's generic anyway" Batteries are different but Tesla has no way to supply them.

Maybe I'm wrong but I see close to zero chance of such deals. NOT zero, because this is very fast moving territory.

Once Cybertruck is in production and being delivered we'll find out what it really means. Until that happens nobody knows. Why would Elon help any established ICE-agers directly?

I’ll just leave this here 😉

1621454174162.png

A work colleague told he got a 2-3 mpg improvement in his 150/350 just by covering the bed with a $200 plastic hardcover.

Sheesh! You can get that much just by putting magnets around your fuel line to align the hydrocarbon molecules for a more efficient burn! ;)

Seriously though, you're not going to get that much from a hardcover. It helps a little, closer to 1 mpg or a little less on the highway. You still have the low pressure areas behind the cab and tailgate. The Cybertruck solves the area behind the cab and minimizes the low pressure behind the tailgate by putting it on a slope.

Testing has shown the old trick of running your open bed with your tailgate open doesn't help - it makes it a little worse. I don't understand what Ford is thinking releasing a battery-electric pickup without even attempting to solve the pickup aero problem. Maybe Ford will offer an optional sloped canopy to improve highway range?

I work for a publicity traded company and I can tell you that morale is affected if/when the stock is down 20%. Now imagine -40% in a few months. But please lecture me some more....
And yet, what publicly traded company with a parabolic stock rise has not suffered from exactly these kind of drops that you describe?

As recently as late 2018 APPL suffered a 30% plus drop in the space of a few months. This while it was printing money. AAPL just kept executing. SP wasn't about the business.

TSLA needs to keep executing. What is happening right now with the SP isn't about the business, various unwelcome distractions aside.

So an after hours rumour thread about a small new Tesla facility in the UK:

Click on link/tweet to read the whole thread.

Text of first tweet:
Sooooooo. I can kinda leak some info. But not too much. That here in England there is a confirmed go ahead project I'm dealing with to start this year for a 75,000m2 building unit called "project tesla". Watch this space. Share away :) positive vibes! $TSLA

Last edited:
And yet, what publicly traded company with a parabolic stock rise has not suffered from exactly these kind of drops that you describe?

As recently as late 2018 APPL suffered a 30% plus drop in the space of a few months. This while it was printing money. AAPL just kept executing. SP wasn't about the business.

TSLA needs to keep executing. What is happening right now with the SP isn't about the business, various unwelcome distractions aside.
No one said it was....

Today's TSLA SP action is unusual. Up/down/up/down... zig zagging but going nowhere really. What a fight!
Sure as sunset, (and assuming no merger announced), I bet the stock drops on the 150 reveal because we know the FUD is all planned out - ready to print.
But TSLA then recovers on Fri after stories are hosed off. Hopefully back higher on up.

Pretty nice closing there...

No one said it was....
I am not discounting what you write. Nor am I saying that you implied the business was suffering.

I neglected to add that this is out of the control of the companies. Stocks over shoot as they go up, they over shoot as they go down, people become discouraged going from FOMO to fear (I know his past week has sucked for me with my crypto / TSLA combinations).

All the company can do is execute the business plan and wait for the market to swing.

I hope that Tesla employees are suitably enthusiastic soon. I will definitely join them.