Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
A lot of TSLA investors had ungodly tax bills after last year's wild runs. I know I have nothing left in terms of freely investable cash after giving the IRS their undeserved share. I still can't get over the fact that the last President paid no taxes for over 20 years and I'm paying out the nose, the entire system is built to keep poor people poor and make rich people richer.

Why did you sell?

I had a wild run last year but I didn't sell, so no wild taxes.

The SP is weak because an inorganic amount of buying pressure occurred last fall / winter. Sort of like the post - 2018 Q4 tax cliff, there is a temporary lull in buying pressure.

Short Interest is up substantially, as is the FUD campaign. We have no visibility into the number of counterfeit shares in circulation. Finally, last fall/winter's buying interest was ORGANIC. The money to purchase those shares came from real accounts, as opposed to the fake shares sold by counterfeiting MMs and hedgies. If anything, the realization of the scale of manipulation is a cooling factor on SP, when MMs are free to poof unlimited shares into existance and as long as they are able to cover within 14 days there are zero consequences (no FTD report required to expose their manipulations).

IMO paying an actual small dividend would also work very well, shorts need to come up with the money

You misunderstand the mechanism of the share dividend on naked shorts.

Money is fungible. Shortzes have money to pay a cash dividend. What they CAN NOT do is create genuine shares (only counterfeit shares which lead to hidden FTDs).

That is why the share price went up in Aug 2020, and again in Jan 2021: no where to hide.

To cover naked shorts, real shares had to trade hands (not counterfeit shares, like the MMs and hedge funds prefer).

Last edited:
Why did you sell?

I had a wild run last year but I didn't sell, so no wild taxes.

Options exercise
Gains off selling puts to stupid bears
Buying on margin, selling the pops (unwise to hold positions in margin, long term)

are all taxable events.

There could potentially be gain elsewhere that others want to sell Tesla to pay that bill.

Anyone buying today?

Some FUDsters with a few loose screws were going on about a few Teslas with a few loose bolts and the SP dropped below $600, so yeah, I couldn't help myself:

unnamed.jpg

Pretty happy to catch it so near the day's low. I'm usually quite poor at judging that, not that a few dollars difference today is going to make much of a difference in 5-10 years, but it felt . . . very gratifying. :cool:

Options exercise
Gains off selling puts to stupid bears
Buying on margin, selling the pops (unwise to hold positions in margin, long term)

are all taxable events.

There could potentially be gain elsewhere that others want to sell Tesla to pay that bill.

So you think "giving the IRS their undeserved share" applies to those reasons? or are you just listing random taxable events?

I didn't ask the question in my prior post because I don't understand taxable events, I asked it to highlight that phrase about undeserved taxes.

Last edited:
Short Interest is up substantially, as is the FUD campaign. We have no visibility into the number of counterfeit shares in circulation. Finally, last fall/winter's buying interest was ORGANIC. The money to purchase those shares came from real accounts, as opposed to the fake shares sold by counterfeiting MMs and hedgies. If anything, the realization of the scale of manipulation is a cooling factor on SP, when MMs are free to poof unlimited shares into existance and as long as they are able to cover within 14 days there are zero consequences (no FTD report required to expose their manipulations).

I believe those play a part.

But funds had to buy TSLA after inclusion regardless of share price or valuation. And certainly others front ran the inclusion, buying up shares regardless of valuation because they knew they would go up even further in the subsequent few months.

And many of those speculators might have sold months later.

Whether you call that organic or not, it's varied short term buying selling pressure thats not about the long term valuation of the company.

In top of that, you have many de-risking after > 10x gains, which happens in every asset that rapidly appreciates. Baille Gifford, Baron, etc...

None of this matters in the long term, but helps explain why we are in a lull.

Reactions: JustMe
He said: "Here in the US" Mach-E is taking share from Model S.

I seriously doubt anyone deciding between a Model S and a Mach-E would go with a Ford. If so, they have not done their homework.
Not sure how Ford could be taking market-share from Tesla, when Tesla sell every car produced...

I realise it's just a false negative narrative they peddle to appease their sponsors (=advertising revenue), but the reality is that the majority of Mach-E buyers are likely existing Ford aficionados, the only market-share being eaten will be Ford's ICEv

These cretins don't appear to understand, or choose to ignore, that there isn't an "EV market", there's the car market and EV's, of all brands, are eating into this

Who watches broadcast tv anymore?
CNBC is not broadcast TV. It is a cable only Similar to CNN being cable only.

This graphic somewhat misses the point IMO. These cable programs are starving for content. They desperately want guests that can make comments and eat up a few minutes Air time.

They desperately want Elon to come on the air. This would build their ratings and every advertiser (not just autos) would pay more for their better ratings.

Thus they are motivated to do something (often outrageous) to force him to come on and defend Tesla. They would LOVE to get a comment from Tesla but they only get silence. It drives them nuts.

They bring the likes of GJ on to try to force something but it never works.

Becky Quick’s ability to get time with Warren Buffet has made her career IMO.

There is no great answer to this. EM is never going to appear IMO. So we get analysts of various stripes making their case and talking their book. This frequently dampens down the stock and Twitter has grown increasingly useless as it inevitably becomes a cesspool of loud mouths, scams and ignorance that is the brand of the internet these days.

IMO the singular bright light is the frequent SpaceX launches which reflect order and competence so spectacularly.

These cretins don't appear to understand, or choose to ignore, that there isn't an "EV market", there's the car market and EV's, of all brands, are eating into this

These cretins don't appear to care what the auto market says or does: they make their own luck:

TL0.chart.2021-06-03.10-10.CET.png

Yup, trading just started in NYC. Aided by their wholly-pwned subsiduary, the SEC.

This whole SEC stirring the pot nonsense is pure manipulation by the media to crush TSLA stock. If SEC would be doing its job, it would investigate the media’s role in manipulating stock... not some Elon tweets. Sigh... we’ve seen it all before so many times but just frustrating to realize this practice actually does achieve the goal of bringing Tesla stock down, look at after hours... this is all well coordinated, well timed, and they know they can get away with it

EVs are a market segment. Markets can be sliced and diced as you please but EVs seem a clear segment.

The larger market is clearly moving toward the growing EV segment. Buyers have a choice of EV brands. Some buyers are coming to the EV segment as a first time buyer and some (far fewer) are moving among the EV brands.

There used to be a time when Tesla got almost all new EV buyers but thankfully the number of EV buyers is becoming so large that more brands have entered.

The way I see it is that the acceleration of EV acceptance now exceeds the growth rate of Tesla. This is the tipping point other brands have awaited. Now they are ALL entering the segment aggressively.

Yesterday Toyota entered bringing Lexus with them. Good news but momentarily confusing for a certain investment community. Seat belts are advised.🙂