Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Speed/throughput would be the reason folks would come up with that math I imagine.

1 gas pump can fuel from empty to full 10 or more cars per hour-- Whereas most L3 chargers (esp. non tesla ones) can do...1 car in an hour from near empty to near full.

Now- we know most will charge at home (though some % of the population can't)- and we know it's dumb to charge from empty to full in one go- but those are non-obvious things to those less familiar with EVs.
Got me thinking, marathon run SF to NY, charge in flight. Tricky but also over the top unbeatable! No driver, no cups needed, lol.

Forward Observing

@Artful Dodger and or other Tesla historians and fact checkers.

Q ~ didn’t Tesla buy the robotic engineering and production German company a couple of years back?

The production is light years ahead of my Fremont factory tour as the M3 was ramping up back in October 2017. Based on recent videos.

Cheers
They bought several automation companies.

From 2015 to 2020, Tesla went on an acquisition spree, buying a handful of little-known companies: Riviera Tool, Grohmann Engineering, Perbix, Compass Automation, Hibar Systems, and German ATW Automation to advance Tesla's expertise in automation, along with Maxwell Technologies and SilLion to add to Tesla's abilities in battery technology.[71][72]

(Sorry for fred spam, but he was one of the few to actually report on it that it was easy to find back before when he was still popular here)

Help request: Sandy Munro recent video mentioned Electric Viking video going over the altman Z score. I can't find that video and that dude has too many...can anyone provide a link and maybe even timestamp? Thank you.
Re your query.. I had the same question, but I can't find where Electric Viking specifically mentions the Altman Z score, but he does go into lots of discussion points on many topics over his channel.. I suspect Sandy was just pointing to the channel, as a general resource..

The specific video Sandy was referring to is this one:
This has no mention of Altman Z.

Cheers!

That story about the game designer really quacked me up. 😏

Duckrivative

Dilbert-the-Duck.png

Cheers!

Next week should bring more fireworks. We have a combination of:

Closing at HOD multiple days in a row, especially on OpEx day
Call IVs are up nicely
We sliced right through the 20 DMA - no resistance whatsoever
Elon might have sold his last tranche today - I share this theory
P&D FOMO rally starts next week

You might have a different price feed than I do. The party started on 12/21. :)

I’m waiting for a new Model X in May. Canada has proposed a new Luxury Tax g starting in 2022 on vehicles that cost over $100K, our X codts $154K. The tax is the lesser of 10% off the value in excess of $100K or 10% off the total cost. I was surveyed about the tax and suggested the threshold should be raised for green vehicles but to date I haven’t heard anything like that being proposed.

So today I got an interesting call from Tesla. They wanted to inform me of the Luxury Tax. They then told me that they imported a number of Model S Plaids to Canada and invited me to switch my order to take delivery prior to the year end and avoid the Luxury Tax. While I would love an S Plaid, I’m specifically looking for the towing capacity of the X (well, until the Cybertruck arrives to take over towing duties). I thought it was an interesting proposal. Nice of Tesla to do this to help a few fellow Canucks avoid some Tax and get their vehicles early. I hope it’s not a reflection of waning demand for the S Plaid. For those curious, the call was from Vancouver, not Calgary or Edmonton (I’m closest to Edmonton).

I also received a text message to the same effect, attached:

Attachments

• 77749C18-459D-49BE-98E6-33150DE458DD.jpeg
    77749C18-459D-49BE-98E6-33150DE458DD.jpeg
    359.7 KB · Views: 54
I’m waiting for a new Model X in May. Canada has proposed a new Luxury Tax g starting in 2022 on vehicles that cost over $100K, our X codts $154K. The tax is the lesser of 10% off the value in excess of $100K or 10% off the total cost. I was surveyed about the tax and suggested the threshold should be raised for green vehicles but to date I haven’t heard anything like that being proposed.

So today I got an interesting call from Tesla. They wanted to inform me of the Luxury Tax. They then told me that they imported a number of Model S Plaids to Canada and invited me to switch my order to take delivery prior to the year end and avoid the Luxury Tax. While I would love an S Plaid, I’m specifically looking for the towing capacity of the X (well, until the Cybertruck arrives to take over towing duties). I thought it was an interesting proposal. Nice of Tesla to do this to help a few fellow Canucks avoid some Tax and get their vehicles early. I hope it’s not a reflection of waning demand for the S Plaid. For those curious, the call was from Vancouver, not Calgary or Edmonton (I’m closest to Edmonton).

I also received a text message to the same effect, attached:

Most certainly a reflection of Tesla arbitraging the changing tax rules of Canada. The opposite of a subsidy is a tax.

Since a negative subsidy pushes demand curve to the left, it makes sense to sell all Plaids if possible to Canadians before that happens.

I'm sure the S and X's sell well but not even an issue if they are not. Batteries are limited. Excess batteries (HAH) can go into 3/Y/Powerwall/Megapack/Semis.

I don't know what you plan to tow with the X but having owned and towed with more than one X, it is not very easy to do. It CAN do it but Cybertruck will be a far more optimal setup for that.

Reactions: bpjod and SOULPEDL
having owned and towed with more than one X, it is not very easy to do.
Now I'm not towing boats or cars, but towing with my X has been like riding with a passenger on my BMW K1600GT motorcycle: I keep forgetting someone/something is behind me. It kills range, but I get all giddy when winning stoplight races while towing.

Even for Musk it was a stupid idea to begin with. They knew all the people that are out to get Tesla. Why give them something to make a literal federal case out of?

In case it's not obvious, it's always a good idea to give federal agencies something to do. It doesn't take much, but they need something to work with. Without some low-hanging fruit they will be tempted to try to regulate the actual product. Musk knows this, he just didn't think it would take them so long to find out the games worked while the car is in gear. The beach racing game that uses the actual steering wheel is another example. They will discover that in the next couple of years. So, their plate is still pretty full. ;)

Don't get me wrong, many for profit companies need this kind of oversight. I'm not sure Tesla does because safety is one of their primary goals and they understand the true meaning of 'safety' better than any federal agency.