Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Not sure if this was posted/noted today, but Bloomberg is now saying Tesla China "told some employees on Friday to enter a so-called “closed-loop” production system on April 17, whereby workers live on-site and are tested regularly".

That's great news if true, then we don't have to worry so much about a fresh lockdown. Likely employees would just stay at the factory and do what they could. It'll be interesting to see what can get done with all the external materials/parts disruptions. I still think Shanghai will be able to make up a lot of the lost time since chips are the main bottleneck and they should be on-site.

Think there's anything the TMC community can do for these folks temporarily stuck living in a factory? I'd send them some cheesesteaks, but they don't travel well.
The problem with omnicron is that so many are asymptomatic. And I know the Chinese close down an entire community/building if there's one positive case. So just because it's a close loop doesn't mean we are safe. One asymptomatic person could ruin the entire thing

Excellent explanation of what the issue is with Twitter (and all social networks) and what Elon's going to have to deal with

I read that long thread. It basically says censorship is necessary on social networks because "All You [expletives censored by TMC]" won't stop posting "Dangerous Ideas." Rules can't be designed to avoid censorship, and the writer knows this because he used to run Reddit.

It reminds me of all the experts who said reusable rockets can't be done, because the experts couldn't do it. Well maybe so, sir, but you are not Elon Musk.

IMHO, TMC is more valuable than Twitter.
One could argue that if you calculate the value based on the sum of information content value, then Twitter would be negative.
Even if you count based on users, it is questionable if positive contributor values (like Elon) could counter all the negatives accumulated by idiot masses (like TSLAQ) who outnumber the positives by orders of magnitude.

but that is just my opinion, YMMV

Free speech is not as important as informed intelligent speech from knowledgeable person. Well, at least in my area of job.

The only reason I created a Twitter account was to follow Elon tweets and understand the -5-10% SP action in the good old Funding Secured days.

The only reason I created a second Twitter account was to follow Elon tweets after losing the logging credentials to my first account and losing access to the email I used to create it.

There is probably around 95% useless tweets on Twitter. Here, I would say useless posts are only around 50% on the good days. Going down to maybe 25% after the mods bulk delete streaks of posts.

Sorry for adding a useless post today

I think this Yishan is a wise man speaking from experience. I hope Elon will hear his advice.
The root cause is HUMAN with all of their evil. In this 21st century, we still have Putin attacking Ukrain!
I agree this contains many of the things that I have been thinking. I really want Elon to take his advice and step back from any ideas about buying Twitter or starting a new Social Network.

I read that long thread. It basically says censorship is necessary on social networks because "All You [expletives censored by TMC]" won't stop posting "Dangerous Ideas." Rules can't be designed to avoid censorship, and the writer knows this because he used to run Reddit.

It reminds me of all the experts who said reusable rockets can't be done, because the experts couldn't do it. Well maybe so, sir, but you are not Elon Musk.
That's an apples and oranges comparison.
One statement is on the reliable perversity of human nature, the other is denial of hard-headed (and excellent) engineering.

Elon has a great scientific/engineering mind, but he’s not the wisest mind that we can see through many of his previous actions/tweets.
To expect him to come up with fixes to a problem inherent in human nature is illusional (imho)!

In many things he is. However he still thinks of "operators" while not really understanding modern factory technology. He seems to have the idea, for example, that AGV are a new development, when they were in use in a factory I worked in as a college student. The primitive ones still were a marvelous innovation.

Frankly that is why I cancelled my subscription.

So, you don’t think there are any efficiencies waiting to be discovered in mining and that Tesla couldn’t find them? Like Tesla never figured out a way to decrease car parts by hundreds of components via single cast front and rear - just one of dozens, perhaps hundreds of ways Tesla has improved car manufacturing; a hundred year old industry?

Um…ok.
I agree-while mining companies are large corporations with a good number of employees, most companies designing and engineering mining equipment are relatively small and don't have a great deal of resources, at least relative to a major manufacturer like Tesla. Tesla is one of the world's leaders in AI and automation. If they could put a small portion of their resources into revising the mining and refining process, they could revolutionize the industry. Personally, I'd like to see Elon get involved with deep sea mining of metallic nodules. One company I've been following (The Metals Company) is working on it, as are some others. Same situation-they could use an infusion of capital and engineering resources.

That's an apples and oranges comparison.
One statement is on the reliable perversity of human nature, the other is denial of hard-headed (and excellent) engineering.
We can all agree that human nature has limitations. But I'm willing to consider the possibility that smart rules and engineering can handle those limitations better than Twitter currently does.

Traffic lights prevent a lot of accidents from selfish humans trying to drive home fast.

Elon has a great scientific/engineering mind, but he’s not the wisest mind that we can see through many of his previous actions/tweets.
To expect him to come up with fixes to a problem inherent in human nature is illusional (imho)!
Elon already mentioned in his TED talk several fixes to make Twitter more trusted and effective:
1) an Edit button that deletes all Likes and Retweets of the edited tweet
2) open-sourcing the algorithm, such as posting it on GitHub

But I don't "expect him to come up with fixes" all by himself. Elon recruits the finest minds in the world to work for him.

Last edited:
I personally think that Elon can do this. All he needs to do is to apply first principles thinking to the human condition.

First step in Master Plan Part V: Minimize fear and greed.

Maybe I'll start a thread.

Exactly. We have only to look at Tesla as a company when it comes to things that are human problems rather than engineering or physics. It is nowhere near as much of a success.

Elon's main superpower is first principles thinking. There are no first principles when it comes to keeping people happy and civil. If Elon gets sucked into trying to solve the problem of human interactions not always leading to good outcomes he will fail, possibly spectacularly. And because he's stubborn and determined and likes to win, it will become a horrendous time sink. There are pretty much an unlimited number of things to try, and not one will be optimal.

He has already turned what he has many times said is relaxation and distraction for him, a way to amuse himself, into work. Making more work for himself and eliminating relaxation and amusement is truly not a good idea. Even winning would be losing.

One thing in Yishan's long twitter thread that I absolutely agree with: "I think if Elon takes over Twitter, he is in for a world of pain. He has no idea." Free speech is a much harder problem than FSD, if only because it requires a much deeper understanding of human beings and their quirks and foibles.

There was another odd article on CT about using Trucks to truck water down a mountain, use regen to charge their batteries and use that charge to do other things.

I like the concept, but we could even improvise on that on having a chain of large buckets of water sliding down a mountain on rails, and generating electricity through regen and sending it to grid. It is a closed loop, where the buckets are roped up the mountain using a fraction of electricity it generates while coming down. The question is will this be more efficient than a standard damn and turbines?.
Nope. Much more mechanism, much more frictional losses, much more maintenance, much higher cost. Both approaches can produce power-but seem like they would be very costly and inefficient. If elevation change and volume of flow is sufficient, just run a pipe and put a micro-turbine at the bottom of the pipe (penstock I think is the proper term). There is no need for a dam unless you need it to backstop a large reservoir of water and provide an elevation change. If you're talking a water supply down a mountain, it's superfluous.

I personally think that Elon can do this. All he needs to do is to apply first principles thinking to the human condition.

First step in Master Plan Part V: Minimize fear and greed.

Maybe I'll start a thread.
I dare you to apply first principle thinking while arguing with your wife. I'm sure she'll love to hear you breaking down her human condition.

I dare you to apply first principle thinking while arguing with your wife. I'm sure she'll love to hear you breaking down her human condition.

Applying first principles requires knowing what they are. Many folks who don't know the science of human behavior assume it doesn't exist, but this is incorrect. For example, when "arguing with your wife" you might find this helpful:

Exactly. We have only to look at Tesla as a company when it comes to things that are human problems rather than engineering or physics. It is nowhere near as much of a success.

Elon's main superpower is first principles thinking. There are no first principles when it comes to keeping people happy and civil. If Elon gets sucked into trying to solve the problem of human interactions not always leading to good outcomes he will fail, possibly spectacularly. And because he's stubborn and determined and likes to win, it will become a horrendous time sink. There are pretty much an unlimited number of things to try, and not one will be optimal.

He has already turned what he has many times said is relaxation and distraction for him, a way to amuse himself, into work. Making more work for himself and eliminating relaxation and amusement is truly not a good idea. Even winning would be losing.

One thing in Yishan's long twitter thread that I absolutely agree with: "I think if Elon takes over Twitter, he is in for a world of pain. He has no idea." Free speech is a much harder problem than FSD, if only because it requires a much deeper understanding of human beings and their quirks and foibles.
I disagree. Musk is an outstanding engineer, no doubt. But he's still one guy. His real skill is the ability to put a team together, to identify the right people and skills for that team, and to lead and inspire them to do things that are beyond any reasonable expectation. Nothing he's attempted is truly...unique. Other companies built electric cars-but none successfully built one that has people converting in droves from ICE. None achieved the engineering and product efficiency, none, including companies with a century of experience has touched Tesla's manufacturing efficiencies. None has done nearly as good a job managing supply chains throughout a global pandemic. NASA has spent billions since the shuttle was developed, dabbled with programs for 40 years, never built a reusable rocket (other than portions of the STS)-and has us hitching rides into orbit on Russian space craft. Until Elon and SpaceX, space travel required the resources and finances of a nation-state, not a small, private company. Musk didn't do those things by himself-he built and led the teams that did those things, and had the courage to risk his life's savings many times over on new ventures. There is a reason that Tesla and SpaceX are the dream companies for young engineers to work for-and that reason is Elon Musk.

I think the Twitter issue is way overstated. He may simply want to revise Twitter such that all points of view are allowed and respected, one where "group think" and conformity isn't demanded, where alternatives to prevailing thought may be presented and discussed. And lets face it, Twitter's interface and user tools are pretty terrible, it wouldn't take much to make them better. Reforming Twitter and putting together a much better, more capable and more efficient team to run it, really doesn't seem like it would take a lot of effort or a great deal of Elon's time. At least in comparison to developing the EV industry or revolutionizing manned space flight or creating a global internet service. I'd strongly suspect he already knows who he would want in leadership positions and where he wants to go. Lets face it, it's just software. He did more complicated things with PayPal when he was just a kid (well, at my age anyone under 45 is a kid) and when the technology was new and far less understood.

Last edited:
Elon seemed pretty clear there are no negotiations and his offer is take it or leave it.

And if they planned to take it why would they bother with the poison pill?

He can- but if he buys more than 15% then every shareholder except him gets to buy a ton of "new" shares at a significant discount. Meaning the ones he just bought magically become a much smaller % of the total shares.

It can make his buying up to 51% massively more expensive for him-- potentially impossible depending on the details I haven't seen (but will be in an 8K shortly).

That's without the board then going to another option-- issuing themselves preferred shares with outsized voting rights--- such that even if Elon went ahead and overspent to get 51% of common stock he'd still have only a minority of the total votes.

Essentially if the board wishes to stop him- they pretty much can.

They might open themselves up to shareholder lawsuits depending how they do it--- but when Elon said yesterday he might not be able to buy Twitter- he literally meant it might not be possible.
That also means the value of the shares is drastically diluted. This is not a good thing for the shareholders-and my understanding is that the board does have a fiduciary responsibility to the shareholders, not just their own egos.

A much better solution is to use a tower with hoists attached to it that can raise and lower weights as needed for energy storage. Believe it or not, I think this could have a very high round trip efficiency, certainly much higher than pumped water storage.

Something like this - Gravity Energy Storage Will Show Its Potential in 2021
The basic engineering is dirt simple, basic conversion of potential energy to kinetic, and vice versa. The question is how practical this approach is on a large scale. I think the cost of the structure to support the amount of weight and the height required would be massive and extremely prohibitively expensive. A much less expensive approach would be an inclined railway design up a mountainside. The mountain is your structure, all you need is rails to guide/support the weights. A little less efficient due to friction of whatever kind of wheels support the weights, but far, far cheaper. Still-I suspect far more expensive than pumped storage. Either approach would have far more maintenance of the mechanical systems involved rather than just a pump and a turbine (which, depending on design and efficiency, can be one unit). Keep in mind, the same fundamental principle applies, converting potential energy (mass x height x gravity) to kinetic energy, which is then used to drive a generator. What is simpler and less expensive, a concrete wall, a pipe and a pump/turbine (well, assuming a mountain is available) or a massive structure, lots of heavy weights and motor-generators/cables to lift them?

Last edited:

Social sciences do not have absolutes. With first principles, you can deduct that reusable rockets are feasible.

I can’t see how Elon can be sure he can accomplish what he wants with Twitter. Where is the first principles logic that this will work?