Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Should he [Elon] return the stocks he earned as part of his compensation plan? I'm just asking as a shareholder who thought we paid for his success. He can give them to Teslay's employees if he prefers, of course.

Elon is way too modest when he tweeted that Tesla's successes were only earned by others. Actually, he was demonstrating good leadership by making that tweet. But just a short list of decisions/actions he alone made that made Tesla successful.

Pouring all remaining net worth into Tesla in 2008 when no one else would invest in an EV company.

Making sure the Roadster was a worthy car, even to the point of shredding the initial idea of bolting on components into a Lotus Elise body (he forced Tesla to make extensive changes so that there were few compromises).

Going completely against his nature and being an obnoxious showman so that he could continue raising $$ for a struggling startup.

Pushing the company to design a ridiculously over the top falcon wing door SUV before the first Model S was even made so that Tesla would remain in the spotlight and garner more much needed funding.

Deciding to spend $0 in advertising, something that he must have been under huge pressure not to do.

The infamous three part plan (Roadster, Model S, Model 3) that in hindsight was obvious even as no other car company in the world replicated.

I could go on, but you get the idea. Sure, Elon has participated in making mistakes, but geez, the big decisions have had enormous positive impact on the company.

I gotta say, I was shocked and disappointed by something Elon said during the earnings call...
US residential power is primarily 120V or 240V AC, not 110/220.
I was shocked as well.

On edit: Seriously, even though "110" is such an ingrained number in the US culture, that Mr Musk would slip on it is a head-scratcher. I sure hope I never hear him slip on significant digits.....
And anyone who tries to counter with "But 208V" both gets sent to the principal's office and has to clean the erasers.

I feel the robotaxi would ramp up quickly to become a large portion of that 20 million autos produced by 2030. I don't think Tesla will sell any robotaxis but rather keep them for Tesla and run the robotaxi fleet themselves. So in 2030 we might see something like this:

8.0 million Robotaxi's (which Tesla might not sell but keeps for Tesla)
3.5 million MY's
3.0 million M3's
2.0 million CT's
1.0 Vans
1.0 Semi's
0.5 Roadsters
0.5 MS
0.5 MX

Or something equivalent to that.
By the time 20 million arrives they'll have a much broader lineup anyway. At that volume level there could easily be specific models for niches that will be built on common platforms. Remember they'll need urban delivery vehicles, specialized vans/busses from city, school, intercity and so on, not to mention cars of multiple varieties to serve different national market needs. Probably smaller vehicle types for private and taxi (robo and non-robot) as well as an array of other variants at S and X levels. At 20 million the existing model composition may not even end out being the highest volumes. In the short run Model Y will be the largest volume. In five or six years time we should be prepared to be amazed.

This chart is nearly meaningless.

You need a baseline number of chargers just to cover the highway network. If you have a few cars most of those will be largely idle. Doubling the number of cars might saturate those locations, but not necessarily. This number is going to inflate as Tesla’s fleet grows even if there is no contention.

The important metric is probably the average number of Superchargers which are at max capacity on a busy weekend. If a Supercharger is at max capacity, that means there is likely waiting.

Adding 20 stalls in a high traffic area is going to impact wait times a lot more than adding 6 stalls in backwater Kansas. This chart doesn’t remotely reflect that.

EDIT: We need those baseline stations and more chargers at high volume locations. The above comment was just pointing out the limitations of a bad chart.
Yes and no.

Yes, because I fully agree. I'd love to have the data to delve further.

No, because this is global. And sitting where I am right now the Tesla map gives me a "does not compute" journey result. There is a lot of the car-buying planet still to build out. Plus the data to do a more meaningful analysis is not disclosed to us mere shareholders. So this is the best proxy we have.

• Informative
Reactions: hobbes
Sold shares and converted about 1/4 of the cash to:

May20 $1200c @ $13.31
Nov18 $1200c @ $121.55
Mar2023 $1400c @ $120.30

I needed to raise cash this spring and wanted to maintain exposure. This seemed better than selling near the money CCs until they executed and trying to buy a LEAP after they sold. Will convert all back to shares if/when we cross 200 PE again.

I gotta say, I was shocked and disappointed by something Elon said during the earnings call...
I blame Michael Keaton
Since 110, 115 and 120 are all stallion common use and there are odd non-US ones that use 117, then there are 208/220/230/240 all in common use still, and Mr. Musk has lived in areas that use several of them he used one fo the most traditional descriptors 110/220, which were indeed once typical US standards.

It's hard for me to get very hung up on generalizations like that because the truth is it quite depends on where one happens to be. As the earliest observers noted, the choices were arbitrary. Anybody who's driven an EV in Australia understands one needs to be a fairly advanced electrician o figure out the correct choice for any given location.

Of course one presumes we will all joke about it...unless we guess incorrectly!
FWIW my primary residence is 117 three phase or 240 three phase. A suburban residence I frequent has 115 two phase and 220 three phase. Perhaps the lack of any recognizable standard is an antipodean affliction./s:eek:

I was shocked as well.

On edit: Seriously, even though "110" is such an ingrained number in the US culture, that Mr Musk would slip on it is a head-scratcher. I sure hope I never hear him slip on significant digits.....
And anyone who tries to counter with "But 208V" both gets sent to the principal's office and has to clean the erasers.
OMG, where are the erasers? Are they electric? I hope not, although my US Tesla is charging at 208v right now.

Lol, MMs: "We fill the gap by Noon, or your next earnings beat is free" :p

sc.TSLA.10-DayChart.2022-04-21.12-45.png

Cheers to the Longs!

This is truth:
Back when we did have a grid (more a nanogrid than a microgrid) in Paxson, the dingledongs who operated it charged us $4.15/kWh (yes) for providing us electrons at some random number between 170V and about 265V (thus: 85V-135V). And at a frequency between 50 and 68 or so Hz. I should have opened an electronics retail outlet - I'd have been its biggest and most frequent customer.....

This is why we can't have nice things...
Well I think the downwards drift has definitely slowed :)

Speaking of the huge ZEV credits number... it is a sort of confirmation of the difficulties the other manufacturers have had producing BEVs. They have been relying on their own tiny BEV production efforts to counter their gas-guzzler production. Take GM for example - had to stop producing the Bolt EV & EUV for like two entire quarters. That means that in order to continue shipping Escalades, they had to buy ZEV credits. BMW discontinued the i3. Plus all the Jaguars, Audis, Mercedes, Nissan, Mazda of the world who are selling less BEVs than they might have if the cars were better - just increases the demand for the credits. So Tesla, by its very product superiority, is able to generate ZEV credit revenue because car buyers are steered away from the weaker products / legacy manufacturers keep screwing up w/ chip shortages & other recalls/stoppages/delays.

When will they learn..Craig says 'Tesla will face major competition....50 new EV's coming...but i have to say Tesla is a magnificent company....just grossly overvalued"

Seems like a closet bull but his hand is being forced to say things he does not believe by alleged extraneous sources.

"Any company can bring what Tesla brings to the market" 🤣 🤣 🤣 🤣 🤣

Lol

The same people who call it overvalued now were saying it was overvalued at $40b in 2019… under 3 years later earning $3b per quarter with 0 debt.

I blame Michael Keaton
I had to LOVE this because I myself got reprimanded when I made this same shocking, disappointing voltage misstatement on TMC discussing self-wiring a charging outlet in my garage. You know what THAT MEANS???

I THINK LIKE ELON!!!

OK, perhaps ...maybe... just not QUITE as good...

That doesn't seem practical to me. Lots of money to solve something that isn't a problem. How would they prevent someone from stealing them?

Autonomous cars with no people in them.

Probably cheaper than giving every charger an autonomous snake.

Could also check your tires and wash your car if you wanted.

Hangs out in a telephone booth sized container until people arrive.

• Funny
Reactions: wipster and Ogre