Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It's this part that scares off any investor. If Twitter can't give simple answers to simple questions, then they are probably spouting BS. Similar to this entertaining Carl Icahn story:
I think one thing I've observed about Elon is that he places a very high value in trust. You have to be able to trust what the other person is saying, you have to be able to trust the other person will do what they say. "Your word is your bond" is a classic description of this.

Twitter has now broken any trust Elon might have had, that anything they claim is honest, that any numbers they produce are true. There is no trust there. They can't even come up with an estimate for how many real users they have. You can't trust them at their word. This is something I don't think Elon can accept, and I really do think he's going to walk away because if you don't have trust, you have nothing with Elon.

I think one thing I've observed about Elon is that he places a very high value in trust. You have to be able to trust what the other person is saying, you have to be able to trust the other person will do what they say. "Your word is your bond" is a classic description of this.

Twitter has now broken any trust Elon might have had, that anything they claim is honest, that any numbers they produce are true. There is no trust there. They can't even come up with an estimate for how many real users they have. You can't trust them at their word. This is something I don't think Elon can accept, and I really do think he's going to walk away because if you don't have trust, you have nothing with Elon.
You’re probably right. It was Elon that walked away first with the Saudis in the taking private debacle as they had made statements that eroded Elons trust in them.

If you haven't had enough heartburn lately, here's a well-known (albeit anonymous) legal analyst (likely attorney) speculating that -- should he choose to walk from the TWTR deal -- Elon Musk could end up in court in Delaware with a forced $44B Twitter acquisition on the line, based on Delaware legal precedent.

There is no legal mechanism that could force Elon to buy Twitter against his will for $44B.

Where do people come up with this nonsense and how could there be investors with so little understanding to believe such fluff??

There is no legal mechanism that could force Elon to buy Twitter against his will for $44B.

Where do people come up with this nonsense and how could there be investors with so little understanding to believe such fluff??
If his hope is to get a discount, if he backs out he loses 1 billion which is already 2.5% off. If he gets sued and loses he could be up for another 5-10% of the offer price. At that point he may as well just pay what he offered rather than pay it in fines and have nothing to show for it.

View attachment 805161

Mhhh .... not sure I like those kind of replies in public
Yes: it’s this sort of high quality discussion that makes Twitter the paragon of free speech and informed discourse so badly needed in the world today. And why it’s worth….tens of billions of dollars?

That snapshot is, in fact, Exhibit A as to why your Moderator has been saying for years

I
Hate
Twitter.

Also: I’m back, more or less. And that means -
Get back on topic, everyone.

Yes, let’s discuss the expansion of Tesla production in Texas, in Berlin, the re-start of Shanghi and hopefully the over-performance of Fremont!

It is a pretty incredible time for Tesla as it is clear that legacy auto is far behind on hardware, software, production and desire to lead the transition to EVs.

Now if only if someone could get through to a certain CEO that posting poop emojis in response to another public CEOs posting on their company’s path forward could be construed as, well, a complete lack of focus to the task at hand.

Wish he had done his homework before jumping in.

I think that comment oversimplifies what's going on here. It's all about negotiation and the four other billionaires that hosted Elon seemed to understand the difficulty of closing such a deal.

I would rate that as one of Elon's better interviews and I think some of his hosts went away with a new respect for him.

Elon mentioned on podcast that he is expecting FSD beta to extend to 1M users by year end...so I guess he is also guiding 1M total FSD buyers by year end.
Just been listening to All-In too. Definitely didn't sound like a highly confident number to me. Just to capture the uncertainty and error bars in the statement a bit more:

100,000 people in the beta so it’s not tiny. We’ll be expanding that to, I don’t know, probably a million people, or a million, I don’t know a million, probably on that order by the end of the year
I'd take that to mean plus or minus a few hundred thousand. Still quite an increase from 100,000 over the next ~6 months though, either way.

@17:46 ✂️ FSD to 1 million

Well, I couldn't bring myself to watch Channel 4's Elon 'documentary' last night, but a colleague just filled me in on the, totally unsurprising, basics: disgruntled early SpaceX employee, racism, image of a crashed Tesla, FSD allegedly mis-sold, personal life, nasty billionaire etc etc.

Blech.

I see the documentary is "discussed" over in the UK & Ireland section - Elon Musk documentary/factual tonight. Actually I don't see much discussion of the documentary there, just seems to be full of Musk-haters who believe all the one-sided biased drivel they get fed from the MSM.

Reactions: M|S|W and 15Peter20
Twitter has now broken any trust Elon might have had, that anything they claim is honest, that any numbers they produce are true.
TWTR is Jack Dorsey mostly. Don’t like him personally and yet EM could not seem to see that side of him. Same with Rogan. EM has a good family and he stumbles a bit IMO when he strays too far away from them.

Dorsey has only one friend and that is Jack.

I see the documentary is "discussed" over in the UK & Ireland section - Elon Musk documentary/factual tonight. Actually I don't see much discussion of the documentary there, just seems to be full of Musk-haters who believe all the one-sided biased drivel they get fed from the MSM.
Hell's bells! I just looked and see what you mean.

Nasdaq 100 futures looking good. If the Q's gain back the 1% they lost yesterday, will TSLA get back the 5% it dropped? I think so.

Nasdaq 100 went down 140 points (1.2%) yesterday, and is up 290 points (2.7%) today as of now.

TSLA went down 45 points (5.9%) yesterday, and is up 27 points (3.8%) today as of now.

TSLA has regained about 60% of what it lost yesterday, comparing to the NASDAQ gaining all of what it lost yesterday more than twice over. 🤪🤪🤪

Edit: The day is not over (and actually hasn't even begun), so I hope you're right, but I find the chances of it happening to be extremely low unfortunately.

Nasdaq 100 went down 140 points (1.2%) yesterday, and is up 290 points (2.7%) today as of now.

TSLA went down 45 points (5.9%) yesterday, and is up 27 points (3.8%) today as of now.

TSLA has regained about 60% of what it lost yesterday, comparing to the NASDAQ gaining all of what it lost yesterday more than twice over. 🤪🤪🤪

Edit: The day is not over (and actually hasn't even begun), so I hope you're right, but I find the chances of it happening to be extremely low unfortunately.

I'll be happy with 4% if that's where we end up. :)

I think there may be a fair amount of buying today now that the Twitter saga looks to be kaput.

As long term investors, do we care that much if the market is temporarily over-worried about twitter, and musk, and what emojis he uses?
Right now we have some very exciting news regarding tesla semi orders, and the reopening of shanghai, and the ramp up of two new factories, on top of absolutely insane demand.

Frankly I'm quite happy (as I don't intend to sell a single share under $1,200, and even then, retain 75% of it for longer), that everyone is focusing on the ephemeral fluff around Elon, rather than the fact that Tesla is ramping up to be an absolute juggernaut with Texas/Berlin/Semi.

On balance I'd rather Elon did no buy twitter, but as long as we keep getting crazy automotive margins, progress on FSD and a steady ramp up on production each quarter, its a minor concern to me.

I do look forward to the day the press suddenly sees a bunch of Tesla semis on the roads. They really are not fully aware of how big a 'new' market this is for the company.