Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I agree, the distractions aren't helpful but I think the real drag on the share price is; Macro headwinds and the Tesla decision to not aggressively pursue building out automotive options in favor of putting everything on the line for Robotaxi. The later is a gamble and the market doesn't like uncertainty. I for one, hope Tesla is certain.
What Tesla is aggressively pursuing with respect to car models is explosive production volume growth because they can’t keep up with demand for the S3XY lineup even at outrageous prices that were unthinkable just two years ago. Elon explicitly said that 2022 is all about production growth and FSD development.

The people saying this are like the morons and purveyors of FUD saying in 2012 that Apple should’ve focused more on new product development instead of iPhone, iPad and MacBook improvements and production growth. And you know what? Those fools missed out on one of the biggest increases in market cap of any company in history. Or worse, some of them established short positions on AAPL. Yikes.

When you have a winning product portfolio with deep competitive advantages and no end to demand growth in sight, you double down on what’s already working to minimize risk and complexity, especially if you’re a manufacturer. Management has reiterated this every single time they’ve been asked about new products lately and still people aren’t absorbing the message.

Additionally, in the coming quarters Semi, Cybertruck and Roadster sales will launch. 4 vehicle models —> 7 models. Do they need even more new products than that to satisfy Wall Street? Even if they wanted to, they don’t even have the labor, chip and battery supply to cover mass production of new products beyond this in the near term.

If by 2024 FSD isn’t ready, at least for Loop usage, then robotaxi production can be postponed easily enough. Tesla is agile and flexible enough in their plans to accommodate that. Or they could just quietly build up the fleet and keep it in inventory in anticipation of the most profound single bit flip in the history of computers.

Last edited:
I would not recommend to go all-in on a single stock.
What - I'm already all in on single stock ;) Market and Beta really means even a diversified position is very risky ... placed my bets on Tesla because of that. Atleast for next 1-3 yrs while world transitions to EV's and Tesla is in a leadership position.

All in was for converting shares to Leaps( but that is only against shares I have scalped mostly by selling Covered Calls & using them to buy leaps on big drops - and converting back to shares ...)

If this Twitter thing is a strategy of some kind, I admit I miss the point. But maybe he‘s trying to tell us he‘s not useful anymore. Took out double my initial investment. The rest can go bust. Will be back in a month or two. There‘s no value in following the man and his mission anymore right now. Whatever this mission might be right now.
Elon explained precisely the purpose of the Twitter acquisition in several tweets, during the All-In podcast and during the Financial Times car summit interview.

He also said recently he’ll stay at Tesla as long as he is useful. He’s still at Tesla. Therefore he is still useful.

He is autistic and tends to say exactly what he means without subtle subtext and innuendo. Neurotypical people often get confused by misinterpreting the intentions of autistic people because they’re looking for hidden meaning that doesn’t actually exist. (Likewise, autistic people often misinterpret the intentions of neurotypical people due to failure to detect hidden meaning and subtlety.) This is one of the main reasons autism leads to social struggles for those affected.

Last edited:
On the macro front it's nice to see AAPL get smoked today down 5.2% with GOOG holding its own down only 3.2%.

I liked the logic of there being no capitulation til you see AAPL move down on days like this. Factoring in 2022 buybacks in the mail, their PE is like 16.

Target sold down to a PE of 11. The world is pricing in a 2000 level recession and there's almost no chance of that happening IMO.

As soon as we find a bottom and the "bad things" on the horizon begin not happening, we'll snap back like crazy. Like everything else these days, I think we're gonna make all these moves in 1/4 the normal time window. Crash! Recession! BUY!

I just hope the pop happens June/July rather than Sep so at least some of the Hamptons crowd misses out.

All we need is for oil to turn over.

Ramping up of Elon's unhinged twitter ranting.

Goodness, what a lot of fair-weather friends Elon has in this forum.

I see nothing unhinged about his Twitter "rants." He pointed out the hypocrisy of the ESG ratings and the mendacity of Twitter management, and predicted escalation of the ongoing disinformation campaign against him. If you think this is shrinking the enormous paper gains in your brokerage account, then look at the rest of the Nasdaq.

I’m serious.

Just on rationality, one wouldn't go to a Tesla investor forum to be serious for diversification away from Tesla (without some sort of agenda against the company). Rather, come here for Tesla and go elsewhere for other viewpoints. Its important to go to multiple forums and get their viewpoints to get a balanced perspective for oneself.

Personally, I was (basically) 100% Tesla until diversifying enough to not diversify for the foreseeable future outside of Tesla. This forum helps to validate my hypothesis regularly.

Barron's - 11:13 EDT: Tesla Got Kicked Out of the S&P 500 ESG Index. Why That's a Shock.

Excerpts:

...Tesla (ticker: TSLA), a company that CEO Elon Musk says he founded to put the world on a path to a sustainable-energy future, doesn't have a comprehensive low-carbon strategy, according to S&P Dow Jones Indices.

"A few of the factors contributing to its 2021 [ESG] Score were a decline in criteria level scores related to Tesla's (lack of) low carbon strategy and codes of business conduct," wrote Maggie Dorn, senior director and head of ESG Indices, North America, at S&P Dow Jones Indices, in a blog post...

...Tesla certainly would take exception to the safety assertion. The company produces quarterly reports that indicate Teslas compare favorably with other vehicles on some safety metrics.

"For any element of an ESG score, whether it's the E, S, or G, disclosure is hugely important," Ray McConville, an S&P spokesman, told Barron's via email. "If there isn't a lot of information available, whether its publicly available information or information provided in our Corporate Sustainability Assessment survey, then that would negatively impact a score. So in the case of Tesla and others, the issue is partly a lack of disclosure."

One thing that might help Tesla is public relations. Tesla doesn't have an active PR effort.

Tesla "needs to invest in PR to improve its safety brand equity which is becoming increasingly important in the minds' of EV customers," said Future Fund Active ETF (FFND) co-founder Gary Black. "Teslas are the safest cars in the world, but EV consumers don't know it."...

What a f@&$ing joke
🤡🤡🤡

Goodness, what a lot of fair-weather friends Elon has in this forum.

I see nothing unhinged about his Twitter "rants." He pointed out the hypocrisy of the ESG ratings and the mendacity of Twitter management, and predicted escalation of the ongoing disinformation campaign against him. If you think this is shrinking the enormous paper gains in your brokerage account, then look at the rest of the Nasdaq.
A good friend will tell you when you are being an idiot.

If this Twitter thing is a strategy of some kind, I admit I miss the point. But maybe he‘s trying to tell us he‘s not useful anymore. Took out double my initial investment. The rest can go bust. Will be back in a month or two. There‘s no value in following the man and his mission anymore. Whatever this mission might be right now.

Sadly, I agree with you.