Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This. And having a bunch of profit weak models that overlap is a legacy issue. Going that route is counter to Tesla's philosophy. It's also not conducive to Giga castings. It's exactly the problem that the Chinese have who are trying to copy Tesla with castings are running into. How can one invest billions in casting when you don't have a single model that can scale to meet the required run rate to make the cost worthwhile, etc...
Quite a few have platforms that can accommodate GigaCastings. That takes planning...

Are you trying to get @StarFoxisDown! fired up about the beta? The market owes us another +2.8%.

Maybe they'll hand it over tomorrow.
I fail to see why anyone would be happy or content with today's action. What crap-tacular day of trading. I'm just loving whatching TSLA be spoofed into obliviion as the macros do an end of close rally 🥴

Especially when it's crystal clear as to why TSLA is trading like it is today. And it's also why there's zero reason to be excited about days like yesterday. Stock is clearly still in the hands of MM's.

I fail to see why anyone would be happy or content with today's action. What crap-tacular day of trading. I'm just loving whatching TSLA be spoofed into obliviion as the macros do an end of close rally 🥴

Especially when it's crystal clear as to why TSLA is trading like it is today. And it's also why there's zero reason to be excited about days like yesterday. Stock is clearly still in the hands of MM's.

I tend to agree. Tesla should have performed much better today than it did given the rest of the market's rise. Doesn't matter long term with record quarters coming our way over the next few years, but it's still disheartening to see TSLA perform so meekly compared to the macros on good days.

5 million shares (~9%) traded in the final minute of the day. That does seem off to me.

• Informative
Reactions: ReddyLeaf
This is playing out on a much larger stage now with Tesla and every legacy OEM that they are crushing along with petroleum/energy (the deepest darkest pockets on the planet). It's nuts how much money is seemingly being paid for FUD with click-bait titles on a daily basis.

And people continue to fall for it as they have no idea how anything works that has a battery. Not a clue. They use it everyday and they might even be an analyst whose job depends on understanding the business, but at the end of the day have no sense at all how the thing works and thus mutter phrases that sound like they come from a confused dribbling toddler. But, here we are, a decade later and it is STILL HAPPENING...
Yet here on TMC, folks who quickly discount Tesla rumors have no trouble buying into and repeating very similar rumors around Apple's iPhone demand collapsing.

People find it easy to believe things which match their world view. Everyone should think really hard about what they re-broadcast. Who is talking? What are their motivations? Who is funding them? Without knowing, who is making a comment, it is very easy to be led down a rabbit hole.

I had to give up on a few Tesla YouTubers and Podcasters because they don't seem to have good filters for what they broadcast. It's not that they are themselves trying to dis-inform, or are trying to be biased, they just don't bother trying to check their pre-conceived notions.

I tend to agree. Tesla should have performed much better today than it did given the rest of the market's rise. Doesn't matter long term with record quarters coming our way over the next few years, but it's still disheartening to see TSLA perform so meekly compared to the macros on good days.
Eh I'm annoyed as hell about how TSLA gets pushed around simply due to the options markets, but it's just the way it is until we get actual data that fundamentally makes TSLA cheaper on a valuation model which then forces the stock higher..............and then we get to enjoy the stock being pushed around by options at that new/higher valuation level 🥴 .

Unless P/D numbers come in as a significant beat (I'd say higher than 370k), the stock might still be under the control of MM's leading into earnings. However that's when I expect a step up in "base" valuation for Tesla and opens up a new/higher range where MM's will play with it. I still think the lows TSLA hit back in June (the TTM P/E & Forward P/E lows) are the "baseline" in terms of how institutional investors view TSLA to be "cheap" or "attractive".

I think this is an important thing to point out because TSLA actually bottomed before the macro's bottomed and then refused to go any lower even when the macro's went lower. So TSLA's TTM P/E hit a low of 81 back in June. If Tesla does something like 1.35 GAAP EPS for Q3, at 300/share, guess where TSLA TTM P/E would be at?........................81 😅

Could Wall St try to keep TSLA pinned to that TTM PE of 81 metric for all of Q3? Sure, they could. But if I use conservative GAAP EPS for Q4, at 300/share, TSLA's TTM P/E drops to 50-55. If TSLA prints the earnings and deliveries I think they will, then TTM PE drops into the 40's. I think MM's won't put themselves in that situation because that makes options trading entirely one sided and the volume on Puts would disappear because everyone and their mom knows the direction of the stock quarter after quarter if the stock is already at it's(or well below its) baseline valuation metrics.

Last edited:
What's your take if Tesla will have delivered ~1,000 Semi Trucks by Friday?

Would WS care?
That to me would be a bombshell. But it's not going to happen. Haven't seen nearly enough anecdotal evidence of Semi's being made in those numbers. From what I've seen, I'd guess there's not even 100 Semi's out there yet.

But even if Tesla just announced that they will deliver 1,000 Semi's in Q4, it would still be a bombshell announcement.

Legacy auto does major model changes to force buyers to upgrade (nobody wants a dated car) and to allow them to batch all of their changes all at once, minimal as they are. Always funny to see people claim that say the Model S is "dated" and needs a refresh as it tells me they know jack about Tesla. There isn't much that a 2022 S shares with a 2015. Software, sheet metal, frame, motors etc. etc.

I'd love to upgrade my Model 3 but then I'd lose FSD Beta. If they offered some sort of FSD transfer or even a discount I'd do it tomorrow.
I was actually just talking to my head of school this morning in carpool. He was going on and on about the battery replacement, cost, yada yada yada...So I actually flipped it on his head and said the great thing about the car is that the drivetrain last a million miles and IF I ever needed to get a new battery, then that's a pretty cheap "new" car. The power the engineering of the car holds IS the new metric....which leads to less product being thrown away, etc...