Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I love this theme here, that it is always the Next quarter that is going to be fantastic and will burn the shorts, the current one (despite being a record P/D) is being received negatively by Mr. Market, but its OK, because "next Q the market will go crazy and the shortz get burned".

People, when are we going to learn ?!?

The answer to that question is not difficult. The way the market works is to fool as many people as possible, as often as possible. So, when will we learn?

Most of the market will "learn" right before the market goes on a tear! When it's the least expected. Be wary of thinking you know which way the market will go at any given moment in time. Look at what we do know - that the best companies go up over time. That is why we accumulate and hold. It's not complicated.

Gotta wonder if the clutch is on the Cybertruck? First thought is that it's complex, heavy and expensive. Second thought is that it might be a lot cheaper and lighter than the batteries it replaces to get equivalent range.

Haven't seen much discussion here but this could be a bigger breakthrough than people realize. Maybe even end up on entry level vehicles where four wheel drive is wanted?

Just one more example of superior Tesla engineering.

Cybertruck going from 4 to 3 engines might indeed point to the clutch.

Most truck drivers are well acquainted with their equipment. They just won't charge to 100% in the very rare sort of scenario you describe. These trucks will also have sophisticated electronics to advise the occasional numbskull driver. I don't think it will present a problem.
I'm more interested in the general issue. However out of interest I've just done the quick PE sum for the fully laden (82,000 lbs) semi dropping off the Puna from San Antionio down to Salta city.

1670259355229.png

So .... setting aside rolling resistance, air resistance, and assuming 100% regen effeciency then provided they don't charge to more than about 70% before departure from San Antonio they'll still arrive with a safe SoC buffer to still accept braking duty without reaching the "friction-braking-only" condition. In the real world with the other frictions they could probably start with a higher SoC and still arrive safely. I wonder whether there are any regen-rate constraints to be cautious of as well.

It will be interesting to see if the Semi software will feature such a 'max-safe-departure-SoC' trip-check calculator alongside any other truck-specific stuff they might incorporate.

Last night I picked up my wife at DIA (Denver Airport). There were so many Teslas that it appeared I was part of a Tesla road rally.
In 2012, it took me 6 months to see another Tesla in the wild. They are growing exponentially to anyone that is paying attention.
Today I look at the SP and think SOSDD :(
There are reasons for this. All the FUD is diversion and distraction.
The MMs (Market Magicians) require this to accomplish their money-making illusions.
HODL

Yup. Incredibly wasteful and harmful to our planet because politics.

Haha, not so much. Those RoRo's were just going to go home empty from ZeeBrugge back to Shanghai. Instead, they'll do so productive work delivering cars to Taiwan (who BTW will not buy cars made in Mainland China). So more EVs on the road net, with zero increase in emissions. But let's not let facts get in the way of a good narrative.

1) they aren't using real clutches, more like dog-teeths that are engaged or not.

Dog teeth that are engaged or not fit the definition of a "clutch" to a "T". That is a "real" clutch because a clutch is used to engage or disengage power transmission. It's a mistake to think a clutch needs to have progressive engagement/disengagement to be a "real" clutch.

I give up, I need to buy a clue. I've looked at this several times over the last few hours and can't figure out what you are referring to.
Yah. Me too. I mean the only obvious thing I see is the guy (who presumably owns the ford) doesn’t have his purse with him and maybe forgot it somewhere. Other than that I got nada.

Haha, not so much. Those RoRo's were just going to go home empty from ZeeBrugge back to Shanghai. Instead, they'll do so productive work delivering cars to Taiwan (who BTW will not buy cars made in Mainland China). So more EVs on the road net, with zero increase in emissions. But let's not let facts get in the way of a good narrative.
Thank you. I appreciate you correcting my assumption and sharing this info!

Deleted my post.

Yup. Incredibly wasteful and harmful to our planet because politics.
This reminds me of a story... Intel semiconductor wafers used to practically go around the world when they came out of Israel. Not sure if they still have to do this, but was absolutely political.

I think Intel is trying to streamline shipping but newest packages are challenging with the foundries spread out. I actually think it's Intel's biggest issue, not centralized, too much "chipping." In the past, it was all about balancing security (Wafer FABs) with Assembly (overseas cheap labor). Here's a really old example:

I was on the team in the 90's for a new material handling system in Chandler A/T when Intel had the option to automate with tracks and carriers running from above. They went right up to the point of purchasing the winning tech out of Japan. Sadly, the plug was pulled and we instead came up with push carts and flip charts on them to indicate the next Operation (maybe still in place). It's a case of Assembly trying to make their own profits without much success. I could be because A/T Chandler was/is a split development/production factory. So difficult line-balancing decisions there. Equipment/process reliability may have been part of the reasons to pull it - I really wish I knew, maybe I do in combination.

For the same reasons, I would think many companies are stuck with high mileage in their production/delivery, not just Intel. And it's a hell of a time to be moving factories closer together. Plus if suppliers are not local... more shipping there too. Auto has this problem now I'm sure. Shipping costs and inventory lags - just with their suppliers alone.

Au contraire, Tesla has this mastered for the lowest possible inventory possible at any given moment, eliminating non value added 5M+E, not to mention the energy saved as several have mentioned. It's a simple question Elon asks routinely - are you adding to the delivered product? We saw this most recently with the Twitter layoffs targeting anyone non-value added.

It's all about efficiency and legacy is just stuck.

To sum things up:

1. China demand problem = $TSLA down
2. China highest sales ever monthly = $TSLA down
3. China rumors of Model Y production cuts = $TSLA down
4. China rumors of Iphone production issues = $TSLA down
5. China covid restrictions easing/lifted = $TSLA down
6. (Insert any other China related news here) = $TSLA down

Rob had more disclaimers before mentioning this than pretty much any reporting regarding anything I've ever heard. He talked for minutes about how he didn't know if this was correct or not.

and that was cringe worthy in the extreme. If he can't make a decision and state in one sentence if he thinks it's good or bad information he shouldn't be yammering, vacillating, backtracking, forewarning, babbling about how unsure he is.

Gotta wonder if the clutch is on the Cybertruck? First thought is that it's complex, heavy and expensive. Second thought is that it might be a lot cheaper and lighter than the batteries it replaces to get equivalent range.

Haven't seen much discussion here but this could be a bigger breakthrough than people realize. Maybe even end up on entry level vehicles where four wheel drive is wanted?

Just one more example of superior Tesla engineering.

That's my guess as well! The cost (and feasability) to get to 500 miles of range on the Cybertruck is cheapers to use the clutches which can disingage. Seems like a real step change in efficiency (as seen on the Semi).!

For anyone wondering why a Bloomberg journalist would trade their journalistic integrity to write FUD: The Bloomberg 'market-moving' bonus

"Most of the people we spoke to, especially traders, were startled to hear about this practice, worrying that it might create an incentive for Bloomberg reporters to 'push' or stretch stories with the specific aim of moving markets," BI's Julia La Roche reports. "Traders react instantly to headlines and news stories, and the decisions they make often make or lose significant amounts of money."

A Bloomberg rep responds: "It isn't news unless it's true. At Bloomberg News, the most important news is actionable. That means we strive to be first to report surprises in markets that change behavior and we put a premium on reporting that reveals the biggest changes in relative value across all assets."

That's rich coming from Business Insider. In case anyone doesn't know, the founder is barred from trading due to securities fraud...