Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
But how often is a truck driver going to charge his fully loaded Semi to 100% at Donner Pass? And Semi racing isn't a sizable motorsport oddly enough, and I've never heard of any that start with a mountainous descent. Maybe dynamic braking emerges as an emergency system for redundancy in extreme cases, but it may just as easily not.
A lot of mining areas are in fact quite high up, and it would be perfectly normal for the average driver to want to be fully charged before heading out for the day.

When I first raised the issue I was in fact thinking of the various areas where I used to live in the Andes; specifically of drivers starting up on the high plateau (e.g. San Antonio de los Cobres*, 3775m) and dropping down to Salta city (1152m). That is 2,623m of descent. The same thing if dropping down from upstate (or up-province) Jujuy. Coming out of La Paz in Bolivia (3625m) the road goes pretty straight downhill or at least that's my memory as is the road in for that matter. In fact all along the Andes and the Karakorum and Himalaya the road out of a lot of the high towns and mines goes downhill in my experience. Not good places to have limitations in descending. Maybe in the USA you have different geography and geology than the rest of the world.

(A colleague at school had as his day job being an engineer for a major US OEM on semi truck racing. They seem to take it very seriously. It is really not my thing but I guess they'll be launching out of the gate at 100% SoC most of the time.)

* the name is a bit of a giveaway as to the reason why the town is there

There is a common belief here that Tesla never has demand problems. This is demonstrably false. For example, I purchased my first S with a 1 percent loan bought down by Tesla to move cars. I got free supercharging for life and a couple of add ons free with the second. China seems perfectly normal Tesla behavior in an economy racked by Covid

Tesla matches pricing to demand growth. Calling that a "demand problem" is stretching credibility considering that Tesla continues to expand production and sales faster than any other manufacturer. I'm sure all manufacturers wish they had the same "demand problem" Tesla always has. @Krugerrand is becoming filthy rich over Tesla's continual "demand problem".

You will know Tesla has a "demand problem" when they stop growing sales or sales start shrinking. Hint: Sales naturally vary for many reasons including logistics and seasonal demand variations over the short term. Investors are interested in long-term growth. How can you write such garbage analysis?

The stock goes up at random times with no logical explanation, just because...

Well, you're wrong here. TSLA does not go up at random times, it goes up whenever there is forced buying and/or covering. These events have been most apparent in the 5:1 stock split, and the S&P 500 inclusion, when actual shares had to be transferred, not fairy-farts and NDR's.

You only THINK it's random because you're giving credit to the news media for accurate reporting. Here's a clue: Financial Media are 'for-profit' businesses. They do not get paid for 'accurate', they get paid to move the market.

Like today.

Well, you're wrong here. TSLA does not go up at random times, it goes up whenever there is forced buying and/or covering. These events have been most apparent in the 5:1 stock split, and the S&P 500 inclusion, when actual shares had to be transferred, not fairy-farts and NDR's.

Why did it not happen during the 3:1 split then?

Why did it not happen during the 3:1 split then?
That split was announced well in advance. Plenty of time to get all ducks in a row before the event.

The most mind boggling thing to me on here this morning is that there are still so many people in this thread that are surprised Pikachu over Reuters spreading BS, as if it hasn't happened 100 times in Tesla's history already.

A lot of mining areas are in fact quite high up, and it would be perfectly normal for the average driver to want to be fully charged before heading out for the day.

When I first raised the issue I was in fact thinking of the various areas where I used to live in the Andes; specifically of drivers starting up on the high plateau (e.g. San Antonio de los Cobres*, 3775m) and dropping down to Salta city (1152m). That is 2,623m of descent. The same thing if dropping down from upstate (or up-province) Jujuy. Coming out of La Paz in Bolivia (3625m) the road goes pretty straight downhill or at least that's my memory as is the road in for that matter. In fact all along the Andes and the Karakorum and Himalaya the road out of a lot of the high towns and mines goes downhill in my experience. Not good places to have limitations in descending. Maybe in the USA you have different geography and geology than the rest of the world.

(A colleague at school had as his day job being an engineer for a major US OEM on semi truck racing. They seem to take it very seriously. It is really not my thing but I guess they'll be launching out of the gate at 100% SoC most of the time.)

* the name is a bit of a giveaway as to the reason why the town is there

Most truck drivers are well acquainted with their equipment. They just won't charge to 100% in the very rare sort of scenario you describe. These trucks will also have sophisticated electronics to advise the occasional numbskull driver. I don't think it will present a problem.

That split was announced well in advance. Plenty of time to get all ducks in a row before the event.

The most mind boggling thing to me on here this morning is that there are still so many people in this thread that are surprised Pikachu over Reuters spreading BS, as if it hasn't happened 100 times in Tesla's history already.
We really should all be sarcastic Kirk instead. Reuters really has something odd going on.

Good morning all.

So Pepsi took delivery of their first two semis. I wonder if there will be a way to track to see how fast they take delivery of future semis, and for that matter other companies who have them on order. I know I read the factory can produce 10 a week, but are they? With corporate customers It might be tougher to verify than cars.

Thoughts?
I believe that the actual news is that they took delivery of FIVE semi trucks December 1, and the other 10 are to be delivered by the end of December.

So here’s my early New Years’ resolution, starting now: I’m going to check this forum and the SP maximum of once each day, after market close. And with the time I’m going to save by that, I’m going to hug my wife and kids and try to be more productive.

I truly appreciate the input of everyone here. You are not the problem. I’m the problem, and I’m going to fix it.

That's all good and noble.

But good luck with that when TSLA is going up from 2%-10% each consecutive day and you are watching your net worth balloon! 🤣

Gotta wonder if the clutch is on the Cybertruck? First thought is that it's complex, heavy and expensive. Second thought is that it might be a lot cheaper and lighter than the batteries it replaces to get equivalent range.

Haven't seen much discussion here but this could be a bigger breakthrough than people realize. Maybe even end up on entry level vehicles where four wheel drive is wanted?

Just one more example of superior Tesla engineering.

It almost seems like we're living in a highly scripted reality TV show where the characters and plots are designed to create passions and reactions to support whatever narrative is being weaved by those directing the show.

The words you're looking for are "Kabuki" + "Theatre".

Is this some sort of recent revelation?

For anyone wondering why a Bloomberg journalist would trade their journalistic integrity to write FUD: The Bloomberg 'market-moving' bonus

"Most of the people we spoke to, especially traders, were startled to hear about this practice, worrying that it might create an incentive for Bloomberg reporters to 'push' or stretch stories with the specific aim of moving markets," BI's Julia La Roche reports. "Traders react instantly to headlines and news stories, and the decisions they make often make or lose significant amounts of money."

A Bloomberg rep responds: "It isn't news unless it's true. At Bloomberg News, the most important news is actionable. That means we strive to be first to report surprises in markets that change behavior and we put a premium on reporting that reveals the biggest changes in relative value across all assets."

Haven't seen much discussion here but this could be a bigger breakthrough than people realize. Maybe even end up on entry level vehicles where four wheel drive is wanted?

Just one more example of superior Tesla engineering.
Rivian uses something similar on their vehicles, but they bought an off-the-shelf solution from a different company that uses a different method than Tesla used on the Semi.