Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Federal reserve certainly got their wish. Negative wealth effect is real. No, I’m not a loser who cries and sells his Tesla stock at the very bottom but do not expect me to be booking expensive vacations or buying ridiculous Net jets memberships anytime soon
But make no mistake. Next time I hit my target I am moving to Hawaii. Done deal. No questions asked.
Do they have that interwebs thing over there?

/s

Check the current tax rate on dividends vs capital gains, plus in your 80’s you aren’t as sharp as you used to be. Trust me I know.

Yes, I plan on growing my dividend bearing stock side of the portfolio after I'm in my 60's and 70's. But you don't have to be that sharp to hold TSLA at this stage of their growth curve. Taxes never really bothered me when it's so easy to grow capital at such fast rates. Many years I actually have almost no taxes, even as I watch my net worth balloon. I actually find taxes on dividends to be more bothersome because they can't be postponed. Most people are too afraid of capital gains since you generally only pay them when you have actually taken profits and the key is to not take profits too early.

Capital gains taxes are a bigger problem for people who trade often and are always trying to skim a few percent here and there. Letting your profits compound, before you take gains and pay taxes, is a huge (and under-appreciated) advantage of being a long-term buy and hold investor.

Yes, I plan on growing my dividend bearing stock side of the portfolio after I'm in my 60's and 70's. But you don't have to be that sharp to hold TSLA at this stage of their growth curve. Taxes never really bothered me when it's so easy to grow capital at such fast rates. Many years I actually have almost no taxes, even as I watch my net worth balloon. I actually find taxes on dividends to be more bothersome because they can't be postponed. Most people are too afraid of capital gains since you generally only pay them when you have actually taken profits and the key is to not take profits too early.

Capital gains taxes are a bigger problem for people who trade often and are always trying to skim a few percent here and there. Letting your profits compound, before you take gains and pay taxes, is a huge (and under-appreciated) advantage of being a long-term buy and hold investor.

I can understand that - though now having a diversified advisor-managed dividend portfolio...that is down ~11% on the 1-year compared to TSLA which is down ~55%. The former bears an ordinary income during this year as well.

Edit: Before the negative nancy's come bearing down, TSLA is also up ~724% on the 5-year. That same portfolio would be nowhere near that kind of growth.

BUT Troy said their inventory is 23k so without incentives they have zero new orders to move the cars, not because inventory is so tight that Tesla requires a teleportation device sell anymore cars.
My calculation is that at the end of November in China there were 4275 cars in China in inventory. That is take the 16K left over from October production. Add in the November production and subtract out the November local sales and exports.

BUT Troy said their inventory is 23k so without incentives they have zero new orders to move the cars, not because inventory is so tight that Tesla requires a teleportation device sell anymore cars.
How could that be?
16K left at end of October
88,564 produced in November.
37,798 shipped to other countries
62,493 delivered in China.

Production plus end of October inventory is 104,566
Subtract out the sales of 100,291 leaves 4275.

How could that be?
16K left at end of October
88,564 produced in November.
37,798 shipped to other countries
62,493 delivered in China.

Production plus end of October inventory is 104,566
Subtract out the sales of 100,291 leaves 4275.
Whenever you see @Singuy and "teleportation device" in the same post, just assume it's sarcasm.

Like many others here, I've been pretty frustrated lately. Yes, by the SP performance. But more by the fact that I'm one of the I've-already-turned-the-couch-upside-down-and-don't-have-any-funds-to-take-advantage-of-this-selloff folks.

Well, I came into a bit of cash this week, allowing me to pick up 100 more chairs today. I've even put a little extra aside in case the market gets even more irrational. Thrilled to be able to take small advantage of this incredible opportunity.

I'm just sharing how I do it and explaining the power of compounding. I stopped being frugal over 20 years ago and I'm still not 60 yet. And I had a lot more fun in my younger years than most people I could observe around me spending a lot more money. My point was to get ahead of the game and stay ahead of the game. Most people live their entire lives spending too much money on things that don't even bring them happiness and struggling trying to make ends meet. That's no way to live.

Everyone will do it their own way and I don't have a problem with that.
Thanks for sharing that. I agree with that. Best thing to do is stay out of debt (except for the house you live in).

Reactions: StealthP3D
Federal reserve certainly got their wish. Negative wealth effect is real. No, I’m not a loser who cries and sells his Tesla stock at the very bottom but do not expect me to be booking expensive vacations or buying ridiculous Net jets memberships anytime soon
But make no mistake. Next time I hit my target I am moving to Hawaii. Done deal. No questions asked.

What is your SP target?

Reactions: Queeg500
Don't know who you use for a brokerage, but you should consider using a Line of Credit. Many brokerages (like eTrade for example) offer a very low interest one backed by your shares, typically with a very high credit line as well. That would save you from selling before the potential pop in January and paying any capital gains tax.

This board turned me on to their existence several years ago and it was one of the best decisions I've made financially. As long as you're conservative and don't draw too much, it's a great tool!
Thanks, but I don't like debt

Remember the Trojans?

Troy Trojan Horse.jpg

"Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it".
-- George Santayana

By providing ways for people who care about the mission to better fight the FUD.

Remember this? A Most Peculiar Test Drive | Tesla

All the FUD producing companies/people can produce more FUD than a team at Tesla will be able to contradict.
The link you posted, makes clear how much work there has to be done by Tesla to contradict, in order to prevent an endless true/untrue discussion.

But more that this, it would also show Tesla to be in a constant defensive position.
Exactly where the companies that Tesla disrupts want Tesla to be.
I personally understand the decision of Tesla to just prove FUD wrong, by producing and selling an enormous amount of successful cars. Being innovative to the max, also with other products. With the best people they can get.
And by letting the money flow into the company like a huge wave.

Yes, frustrating at times when we get confronted with the result of all the FUD.
Nobody here likes the low share price of TSLA. But we're investors, aren't we?
So just sit back, leave the ticker at what it is and let Tesla continue to prove itself by growing at a staggering rate.
The stock price wil follow, inevitably.

Don't know who you use for a brokerage, but you should consider using a Line of Credit. Many brokerages (like eTrade for example) offer a very low interest one backed by your shares, typically with a very high credit line as well. That would save you from selling before the potential pop in January and paying any capital gains tax.

This board turned me on to their existence several years ago and it was one of the best decisions I've made financially. As long as you're conservative and don't draw too much, it's a great tool!

OT: Unfortunately, interest rates have increased considerably in recent months.