Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Dang, no relief on the downward spiral today! From $127 to $122 in minutes and still falling!

Shortzes needed the SP to stay in contact with the Lower-BB. They achieved that after 09:45 when Options MMs start selling to delta-hedge Puts (have a look at the intraday options vol).

sc.TSLA.10-DayChart.2022-12-23.09-50.png

Note: we're trading over a million shares per minute so far in the Main session.

Anybody care to post a screenie of the Options Volume Chart? TIA
TSLA Open Interest, Volume and Max Pain

Last edited:
On the other hand, 4 employees were all pissed about where TSLA was. Said their options were pretty much worthless. They weren’t convinced that the ESPP balanced that out.
You don’t lose if you don’t sell.

If they don’t like it, the door is a good place to find happiness so long as they don’t let it hit their tuchus on the way out.

Makes sense - why bother with the middle man when you can take the extra margin for yourself. Hasn’t Panasonic been offering home battery solutions for years also?
CATL has been doing that for some time:

Yeah, you could be right... the part about giving preference to volumes over margins was new, but that's probably not "material"

Yeah, you may be right that giving preference to volumes over margins has never been explicitly stated (I don't recall). but it was built into everything Elon has ever said when he discusses things like this. Otherwise, I don't know how I already knew how he views it. I think he probably has said it, in so many words.

I also agree with the push for market-share over profits and once again I'd like to see Tesla come with a smaller, cheaper, Euro/city car, something in the 25-30k price range, they could probably make 2x the volume with the same batteries of an M3 and still keep decent margins, and the P&D numbers would soar

Tesla will make a smaller city car when the time is right and it's likely already in the product pipeline. But the time hasn't been right yet, IMO. This is not the kind of thing Tesla should do so early in the EV adoption curve, it's easy to lose sight of the fact that we are still in the very early stages of market adoption of EV's. A smaller city car wouldn't have changed that (city EV's are already out there from other makers).

Tesla's superior pricing power comes from two things:

1) Efficiency (both corporate and manufacturing and sales)
2) Tesla is an aspirational brand.

That Tesla's aspirational brand image is so strong is due, in part, because it's unobtanium for many. And the reason Tesla has been able to sell such high volumes of cars that are so expensive is due to the "Tesla stretch", precisely because the cars are so aspirational. Had there been a cheaper Tesla, not only would there have been less sales of the more expensive models, but that would have taken a bit of shine off EV's in general at the wrong time in the EV adoption curve.

I would also like to see Tesla plow all the IRA battery incentives into cost-reduction to the buyers, Tesla doesn't need higher margins, they're already amazingly high, they need volumes - the profits will flow

Yes, this was basically confirmed by Elon yesterday (assuming the recession doesn't evaporate). But I think you are thinking about this fundamentally differently from Elon. He doesn't lower prices because he wants them to cost less, he lowers prices to achieve the volume of sales that will keep their production capacity growing. If he needs to lower prices to sell everyone Tesla can make, he will, but he will not lower prices if that is not the case, simply to allow lower income people to buy one.

The economics of EV's are such that lower income people will be the last to adopt because they require a higher upfront investment to reduce gas and maintenance over time. Currently, I consider Tesla's EV's to be on cost parity (or even better) when compared to gas cars of similar size and performance and features. But lower-income people do not buy cars that can go 0-60 in 3, 4 or 5 seconds, or that have ADAS that every Tesla comes with (Autopilot), or cars with Brembo brakes and relatively expensive wheels and tires. Cheapening up the cars too soon would not help the mission or the profitability of the company.

EV price parity with economy cars will not come for a few years because the economics of EV's are more favorable with a larger sleeker car. It's not an accident that all the first models Tesla produced are relatively larger, sleeker vehicles, even the SUV's. You can put a 30-40 kWh battery in a tiny bubble of an economy car, but it's small size does not mean it will go just as far as a car that is twice as large and weighs twice as much. This means it fails to leverage the cost of the battery (the most expensive part of the car) and the advantage of Tesla's Supercharger Network is diminished or negated because a 40kWh battery, even in an econobox, cannot provide the same Supercharger user-experience as a car with a larger battery. Tesla pushed the Supercharger user experience as far as they felt wise on the Standard Range cars. This was smart, not something we should wish Tesla did differently no matter how much one might want EV's to more affordable now rather than later.

You don’t lose if you don’t sell.

If they don’t like it, the door is a good place to find happiness so long as they don’t let it hit their tuchus on the way out.
Long term investing is the way to go, but please don't forget only rich people say money doesn't bring happiness. The lower you are on the wealth scale, the more pressing basic needs are. Please don't marginalize people on the same side as you.

Shortzes needed the SP to stay in contact with the Lower-BB. They achieved that after 09:45 when Options MMs start selling to delta-hedge Puts (have a look at the intraday options vol).

View attachment 888247

Note: we're trading over a million shares per minute so far in the Main session.

Anybody care to post a screenie of the Options Volume Chart? TIA
TSLA Open Interest, Volume and Max Pain
Here ya go. 120 is the focus.

1671808804983.png

35 million shares traded in first 30 minutes

Probably a lot of margin calls again after yesterday's big drop. People buying on margin enabled the short squeezes of 2020 and 2021 and made it possible for TSLA to reach 414 (1240 pre-split). I took a lot off the table a year ago, so thank you!

But their strategy is now making the crash much worse. And they are the ones feeling most of the pain. While some of us are using this opportunity to buy more and profit in the long run, the margin buyers are not only losing money but will also miss out on those future gains.