Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Attachments

• 1674162399129.png
    1674162399129.png
    394.2 KB · Views: 105
I was worried Apple would try to take over Tesla but maybe Leo is the evil mastermind to fear.
...Although he is paying 160 bucks for shares on sale for 125.
Not entirely true.

He was paid a premium to sell those puts. Not sure what that premium was, but it’s possible his net “loss” on these shares isn’t large.

[Leo] was paid a premium to sell those puts. Not sure what that premium was, but it’s possible his net “loss” on these shares isn’t large.

Haha, Leo has no "net loss" at all unless he sells. You may be thinking of a "mark-to-market" loss, which is sum bee-ess hedgies and MMs use to try to make you feel like selling for a real loss.

... unless you meant to use scare-quotes, which would be a shame net 'loss'. :p

Cheers!

Haha, Leo has no "net loss" at all unless he sells. You may be thinking of a "mark-to-market" loss, which is sum bee-ess hedgies and MMs use to try to make you feel like selling for a real loss.

... unless you meant to use scare-quotes, which would be a shame net 'loss'. :p

Cheers!
As you suggest, it’s not really a “Loss”. I was referring to the delta between his total cost to acquire shares and the SP at assignment.

Beautiful sight.

DF17D217-8546-4C69-9251-18454C0DA89B.jpeg

PepsiCo's Modesto Frito-Lay plant showcased its newly received Tesla Semis and its eco-friendly fleet at a special event. The company shared its achievements in the field of sustainability of its operations, which became possible, among other things, thanks to the Tesla Semis.

A Tesla Model S Plaid would blow this away. I doubt that many Corvette fans will be enthused about a $104,000+ hybrid. It could become the Edsel of Corvettes.

CNBC - 9:41 am EST:
Why GM's new Chevy Corvette is a hybrid and not an all-electric car

Excerpt:

...So why make a hybrid Corvette? GM says there are several reasons but, in general, the automaker was already developing the technology ahead of its more aggressive EV ambitions. It's also a new market that should help the company test the waters of electrification for the iconic car...

They are so screwed. GM, Ford, Toyota were all going to crush Tesla because they can manufacture in volume. Turns out they can't do squat when it comes to BEVs.

Netflix up significantly in AH trading from increased subscribers despite big earnings miss. Earnings (0.12) were less than 1/10 what they were one year ago ($1.33), and missed low estimates for the quarter by a large margin (0.12 vs 0.45E). Maybe TSLA will be up next week on all-time high record earnings?

Never mind, who am I kidding. 🤣

Netflix up significantly in AH trading from increased subscribers despite big earnings miss. Earnings were less than 1/10 what they were one year ago, and missed low estimates for the quarter by a large margin. Maybe TSLA will be up next week on all-time high record earnings?

All Time High means TSLA to 0 and Bankwuptsy. They lose 10's of thousands on every car they sell or just off load into the sea. Don'tcha know by now?

Netflix up significantly in AH trading from increased subscribers despite big earnings miss. Earnings (0.12) were less than 1/10 what they were one year ago ($1.33), and missed low estimates for the quarter by a large margin (0.12 vs 0.45E). Maybe TSLA will be up next week on all-time high record earnings?

Netflix was the first to crash out of all the tech stocks. Also first to recover.

A Tesla Model S Plaid would blow this away. I doubt that many Corvette fans will be enthused about a $104,000+ hybrid. It could become the Edsel of Corvettes.

Excerpt:

...So why make a hybrid Corvette? GM says there are several reasons but, in general, the automaker was already developing the technology ahead of its more aggressive EV ambitions. It's also a new market that should help the company test the waters of electrification for the iconic car...

LOL. If you’ve seen any vehicle on their Ultium Platform, it’s pretty clear why there is no BEV Corvette.

1674166201896.png

I suppose it would have a certain… Pump Heels kind of appeal.

PS: My Photo editing skillz are about as gud as my charting skillz. Plus only had 15 minutes so …

Ugh. I don’t think this will go over well.

Hopefully there is stronger evidence than simply “using the wrong words”.

I attended the trial at the Federal Court building in San Francisco yesterday.

Unfortunately I missed the opening statements, but saw the witness-of-the-day in front of the seated jury,
the aforementioned Mr. Littleton. Today is a recess, and since this is being streamed (Zoom audio only),
I'm not sure if I'll be present for many of the days. Here's a Zoom link good during court hours:

There is sporadic coverage on Twitter and elsewhere, but here is a somewhat gnarly introduction to
the issues:

Further, the docket:

[Aside: I'm a retired engineer who sometimes likes to follow trials in the SF Bay area involving patents, copyrights, or tech companies in general. Since the rules of evidence are different to legal beagles (only what is filtered thru the adversarial system) vs. what evidence is to science types like me (research everything you can from a curiosity standpoint) I would probably make a poor juror in that manner. Further, my own bias here is from multiple angles: (1) I drive a Tesla (Model 3, 2018), (2) I own shares long, kept from since before the infamous tweet, and (3) Simultaneously, I believe that Musk has cretinous opinions unbecoming of a CEO.]

Yesterday's testimony was entirely from an options trader who seemed to panic completely focusing his bets on the veracity of the "funding secure" part of Musk's tweet, at least for a week or two while unwinding his hedges. His statements about never "betting" (only "investing") and "never trading on rumor", to me, did not ring true.

His background was as a commodities consultant (40 years+) who was quite familiar with hedging grain/corn futures
but only traded stock options, mostly all involving Tesla, over the last decade. He was pro-Tesla in general, but never held
shares long, only put/call spreads (straight shares took "too much capital to hold").

He felt that the "Am considering taking Tesla private at 420. Funding secured." tweet was a "done deal" and rapidly liquidated his positions, feeling trapped with longer calls (higher than 420, but also with selling puts <420).

Charts/emails were put up for display and went into evidence, but I could only squint at the screen being too far away,
with no fotos allowed. From notes to his broker:

"Will roll the 450 calls down to 400, 2020 and 2019
Sell 100 400 2020 puts
Liquidate 600/400 2020 put spreads"

His brokerage statement showed high six figures. On cross examination, he was asked about buying rights to the
equivalent of $900K in shares at a clip, but he kept saying they were parts of a swap/spread, so he wasn't that
exposed on a single trade. The jury looked rapt, but their eyes glazed over I'm sure, especially after seeing
the fine print on a couple of dozen options trades over a week or 10 days. Ultimately Littleton bet up to $3.5M and
lost >75%. The guy was overwhelmed, and was only convinced the deal wouldn't happen after a public Tesla blog
entry from Aug. 24, 2018 stating that Tesla would remain public.

To this observer, it appears that it's a problem that he's the chief representative of the Plaintiff class -- those
who traded positions from August 7 - August 17. Opening statements say that Littleton was "just an ordinary guy"the
who reflects the "loss of billions" during that interval. If suit is defined as being that TSLA's price wiggles during
that time were all due to a single tweet, it's only about short-term traders who lost during that time.

Lastly, for now, the related SEC settlement of 40M in another suit covered about a billion in "recognized losses"
during the first two days -- the class period here is defined as 10 days. And, for those participating in that
class action, recovery will only be pennies-on-the-dollar, if that.

Last edited:
I would make a rough guess of around 10% slower than the 6000 ton machine. Of course it would vary depending upon the mass and thickness of the casting too. It's also possible the latest generation of casting machines has improved thermal controls that could reduce cycle times below what one might expect. That's why I would estimate 10% slower. I think Tesla was already over-clocking the 6000 ton machines.

We won't know for sure until we see it in action, even then it could speed up at any point without warning.
The Limited Factor channel on YouTube talked about the improved cooling modifications of the Giggapress in the video below at 13 minutes (Time stamped link). Pretty interesting for the tech-y type of people.

"I had a chance to talk to the engineers that were looking after those giga casting machines and they're
working on accelerating the throughput of those giga casting machines. [this was covered in my final giga casting video] but i'll do a quick recap here now for you..."

"when i talk to the engineers i ask them all right what is the rate limiting factor for these machines and they said
well it's it's pulling the heat out of those castings. i said well so what what can you do to accelerate that and to remove the heat more quickly and he looked up at one machine then looked up at the other and he said do you see any differences between those two machines and as i said in my final gig casting video my jaw dropped because it was immediately apparent that they're using an entirely different cooling system generally those giga casting machines use a series of they look like dehumidifiers actually there's just these square boxy things with coolant loops running through them and i looked at the other machine and it was the racks were pretty much empty and it was just three massive tanks..."

Last edited:

Don't think the situation is as rosy as being presented.

1) In the four daily reporting countries, Tesla has sold 244 Model Ys. 212 are SR+ sold in the Netherlands. Except...Berlin doesn't produce SR+ yet. These are likely MIC models that just missed the Q4 buzzer and have been sold in January instead. If you just exclude those SR+ sales in the Netherlands, it drops Tesla's market share to 3.3% of the daily reporting countries in 1Q23.

2) There is existing MY LR & P available in inventory. EV-CPO shows 418 model Y available in Europe, the details of which indicate at least 28 were made in Berlin in 2023. Kind of odd the daily reporting countries aren't getting those MIB Ys.

Excerpt:

And it still would not be a Corvette. If you don't get it, you don't get.