Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Oh no it's a straight on lie because Elon talked about the demo as if it's a real demo. First thing he said was "few months ago optimus couldn't even walk" as optimus was walking in the demo. We have seen optimus walk in CGI simulation from AI day.
Right. The beginning of the Optimus section was Ashok saying, “I’d like to introduce Elon back on stage to give some more updates” and then the video started.

If the capabilities demonstrated in the video were faked with CGI, then this was tantamount to lying. A pretend animation is not an update.

Maybe it is fake but that’s an extraordinary claim that should require extraordinary evidence. That would mean that Tesla decided to defraud investors for some reason and spent time making this video instead of doing actual work towards the mission. That seems implausible in my opinion.

Last edited:
S&P back with another survey.

Lots of interesting facts, like the biggest brand Tesla defect to is Rivian, which according to S&P speaks well for how strong the Tesla brand is because defectors mostly seek out a form factor Tesla doesn't yet provide which means more conquest possibilities after CT launches. I would watch the entire thing.

There are fans who are so fanatical that they would buy new Teslas just for a rear casted car, or for the new battery form factor.

Maybe? Most Porsche buyers aren't averse to optioning out their cars.
Porsche has to advertise on that option "will enable fast charging on Tesla Superchargers" just to give people a clue what that upgrade is even for. You know for 460 bucks, they should just make it standard and probably will in the future. They can just increase the price of their plastic cup holders by a few thousand for the GT3 RS to make it back.

Right. The beginning of the Optimus section was Ashok saying, “I’d like to introduce Elon back on stage to give some more updates” and then the video started.

If the capabilities demonstrated in the video were faked with CGI, then this was tantamount to lying. A pretend animation is not an update.

Maybe it is fake but that’s an extraordinary claim that should require extraordinary evidence. That would mean that Tesla decided to defraud investors for some reason and spent time making this video instead of doing actual work towards the mission. That seems implausible in my opinion.
That's a strong position to take. I respect that. So if elements of the video turn out to in fact be CGI or animation, you're saying it's extremely deceitful and fraudulent. I don't agree, but I respect your position.

Tmc Survey:

I have to replace a 2020 Ice Minivan for wife. (Everything is good between us and she likes Ohm My, a.k.a my Tesla now and has driven it and *sugar* her pants after hitting the go pedal)

Option A Model Y 7 seater
Option B Model X 5, 6, or 7 seater
Option C another Ice pos but has the seating and storage for long trips.

The biggest factor is luggage and seating for 5.. I have 2 weeks to decide. Is there roof storage on any Tesla?
All input is welcome.

Edit: I think Tesla will offer a minivan in the next 3 years. So if I have the misfortune of doing a 3 year Ice lease, I believe I could be a Tesla only household.

Thanks Tmc and HODL!
This is what renting for a day helps with. Try Turo. Try the configurations you think might work. Pack your stuff in it for a trip. Seat all the people. Drive somewhere.

When I tried renting an X for a road trip back in 2017 to see if maybe it was a good upgrade to my S, I decided it wouldn't be. For one thing, it could fit less luggage, less conveniently. So I upgraded 2014 S to 2017 S instead. Saved me a lot of $.

There's no substitute for actually trying things out for yourselves.

Is that true? o_O
Yes, the vaunted technological marvel that is a Lucid can only charge at 50kW at a 400V DC charging station. Many CCS chargers are 800V capable, so it isn’t that big a deal in CCS land, but will become a problem as more and more Tesla Superchargers get Magic Docks. But let’s not get ahead of ourselves. Tesla still only has 10 Magic Dock locations open in the US.

I'm not a gamer either, but I suggest you take a look at some of the new photorealistic games like Red Dead redemption 2 and Ghost of Tsushima. Those games are orders of magnitude more difficult to program than a few minutes of non interactive Optimus action in poor lighting.
This clip is marketing gold.

People keep passing this clip back and forth on Twitter, Reddit, YouTube, etc. arguing it’s authenticity.

Meanwhile people on the sidelines are repeatedly getting exposed to the idea that Tesla has humanoid robots like this.

Lots of people who didn’t know Tesla has a humanoid robot program have now seen this and at a minimum know Tesla has a humanoid robot which may have this sort of functionality.

Now sure if this was by intent or not, but the CGI debate plays well for Tesla even if most people think it’s CGI. The seed is planted.

By far the most effective Optimus “marketing” Tesla has done to date. Lots of college age people looking at this and thinking about Tesla as their future employer of choice.

I watched a bit of his YouTube interview with the robotics expert and honestly wasn't that impressed. The Tesla Club Sweden poll is still about 2/3 in favor of CGI/animation. The background is the most fake looking aspect of the video to me. I'd be interested to hear Mr. Know it all's opinion if the bots could have been performing in front of a green screen.

These are the opinions of Swedes.

Swedes.

Let that sink in.

Greetings from Norway.

:D

...full disclosure - I'm part Swedish
:eek:

This clip is marketing gold.

People keep passing this clip back and forth on Twitter, Reddit, YouTube, etc. arguing it’s authenticity.

Meanwhile people on the sidelines are repeatedly getting exposed to the idea that Tesla has humanoid robots like this.

Lots of people who didn’t know Tesla has a humanoid robot program have now seen this and at a minimum know Tesla has a humanoid robot which may have this sort of functionality.

Now sure if this was by intent or not, but the CGI debate plays well for Tesla even if most people think it’s CGI. The seed is planted.

By far the most effective Optimus “marketing” Tesla has done to date. Lots of college age people looking at this and thinking about Tesla as their future employer of choice.
At least the general public(not robotic engineers) has a hard time believing the clip to be real, which means Tesla is creating some sci-fi kind of stuff that lots of people think only can accomplished by CGI. Calling that clip CGI is one hell of an compliment IMO. That's why I said, how are people not impressed and yet calls it impossible (aka CGI) at the same time?

At least the general public(not robotic engineers) has a hard time believing the clip to be real, which means Tesla is creating some sci-fi kind of stuff that lots of people think only can accomplished by CGI. Calling that clip CGI is one hell of an compliment IMO. That's why I said, how are people not impressed and yet calls it impossible (aka CGI) at the same time?

At least, everyone agrees that it's unbelievable.

I think people are impressed whether they think it's CGI or real. I'm impressed. And I also believe the majority view of the general public is that it's real.

How did you convince yourself of that? It’s foundational to the entire concept of the Cybertruck. Exoskeleton is still the first listed feature on the Cybertruck page on Tesla.com

View attachment 914119
self hypnosis
plus that CT is not referred to as next gen
but as I said, the order page still says exoskeleton, so there is hope
the order page also says six seats
I prefer my CT be exoskeleton with thick stainless steel
But I don't care enough to cancel based it being a more conventional skateboard design

I also thought that the Austin Y had a structural pack and would be lighter weight.

I think people are impressed whether they think it's CGI or real. I'm impressed. And I also believe the majority view of the general public is that it's real.
There's nothing impressive about the demo if it's CGI. In fact it's more fraud/misleading than impressive. Unless Tesla is taking on ILM or Pixar, a CGI demo from Tesla brings negative value.

Anodized aluminum would be pretty cool, and could be most any color. I'm not sure that would be any cheaper than painting though, and aluminum isn't particularly cheap itself.

Exactly, Tesla is NOT going to make 18m/cars/yr from aluminum, in a country that has no aluminum. And Tesla is ALSO not likely to make 680M+ million cars total from Aluminum through the run of Master Plan 3 (2040s?).

is this rumor or buyout by Tesla is already in process?

Well, its from Roto-REUTERS so we know its a rumor (that's all they publish). But, buyout or delivery contract, Tesla will source addtional lithium in the Americas. We know that because of newly announced production plans. The Lithium refinery in Corpus Christi is another sure sign at 50 GWh/yr capacity. That likely goes to Giga Texas for Cybertruck, but they need a source of spodumene as feed stock for the refinery. If not Brazil, then we haven't heard of some other large new mining project.

That's a strong position to take. I respect that. So if elements of the video turn out to in fact be CGI or animation, you're saying it's extremely deceitful and fraudulent. I don't agree, but I respect your position.
The message of the Optimus segment of the presentation clearly was to show progress updates on some of the things the bot can do now (at least once but presumably not reliably or they would’ve done a live demo).

Then the CEO said “the progress is quite significant” while the clip was rolling and also later said the robot is going to be worth vastly more than the rest of the enterprise combined.

If there’s computer-generated graphics for elements like the background or something just to make the appearance snazzier then that isn’t important. However, if the bot can’t actually unplug a wire bundle, pick up a leg, walk around while carrying it, operate a handheld rotary tool, pick up a little screw and insert it into a hole, and grasp a piece of fabric, then yes that’s deceitful and fraudulent. No better than Trevor Milton getting on stage in front of a Nikola One prototype and saying it’s a “This is a real truck. This is not a pusher.” and showing a video of it on the highway but neglecting to mention that it was coasting downhill.

Last edited:
We have 4 racks for the X. A 4 e-bike (oneup) rack, this luggage rack, a ski rack, a small trailer, and a dual moto rack.
Wondering how you've managed to make supercharging work conveniently with racks in the way. Seems to me to be incompatible with ease of use for road trips (except in a few locations). But maybe I'm missing something.

• Informative
Reactions: FSDtester#1
I'm not a gamer either, but I suggest you take a look at some of the new photorealistic games like Red Dead redemption 2 and Ghost of Tsushima. Those games are orders of magnitude more difficult to program than a few minutes of non interactive Optimus action in poor lighting.

Again, it's not the quality of the image I'm speaking of, it's the content in the image.

You know what Tesla did was to make all of these background stuff as detailed as possible so you think it's real, but make the front and center stuff like the plug pull sus. Maybe they blew their 100M CGI budget building the shutting down screen in the background and ran out of budget trying to get the cable pull animation right.

There was no shutdown screen. There were two monitors with static images, then there were two blank screens. To render this as CGI one would need to specifically disable the screen image layer that they had specifically previously added.
Why bother? Either leave it on or off.