Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
How much does it cost to add inductive charging to a car? How much would the typical customer pay to upgrade to inductive?

In the case of Supercharging via inductive, a 10-20% slower charge means they have to build 10-20% more charging spaces and people are waiting longer to charge up. It's also more expensive for the customer, and Tesla would have to accommodate more capacity.

There is a lot more going on that just a small amount of energy loss.

Seems to me like inductive charging is most likely a home charging convenience. Maybe a bolt on accessory for the 3/Y and included on the S/X.
Inductive charging is really required for cars with a Frankenplug.

1 minute TSLA chart
Big spike in price on huge volume in last 10 minutes
Indicates heavy institutional buying with more than $2 billion worth TSLA bought in last 10 minutes
Excellent prognosis for next several days
IMG_2395.png

I scrubbed the internets and all I could find is a rumor that the new Model 3 is going to be unveiled in Shanghai very soon.

I doubt this spike was related to any news about TSLA, or we would not have seen simultaneous spikes in other EV stocks and drops in AAPL, GOOG and other big caps. Today was 31 May. Does anybody know if there’s some rearranging on that date?

Unfortunately Blackrock are not buying those calls, which would be bullish. Call buyers hope the stock goes up, increasing the value of the calls.

If the information is correct, they are selling calls, which would be bearish. Blackrock owns a lot of TSLA shares and if they sell covered calls they don’t see much upside. What they are after is the premium received for those calls, which if Papafox’s source is correct would give them a 13% return.

Their risk is having to sell the shares for a lower price after a run-up, but Blackrock apparantly doesn’t expect that or they wouldn’t be selling calls.
@Papafox can you referee?

He said: "if I might write them covered calls for $10MM of TSLA. That is a number I could safely swing, and the 10-13% effective yield that would engender is attractive…"

So it seems to me that the friend was being asked to write covered calls so that Blackrock could buy them. A 10-13% effective yield would accrue to the covered call writer. So, no, Blackrock is not selling covered calls, they want to buy calls.

A friend and fellow TSLA investor shared with me the following note that I am allowed to share:

…..I’ve just been contacted by one of the Biggies - the #1 by most measurements - BlackRock, to learn if I might write them covered calls for $10MM of TSLA. That is a number I could safely swing, and the 10-13% effective yield that would engender is attractive…

BUT. First, my investment philosophy does not incorporate such action - giving away upside is exactly opposite to why I’m invested in TSLA; second, I’m jiggered if I’m going even in such a small amount to assist their actions as Market Makers in having the Derivative Market tail wag the Equity Dog; and third, if a $10 trillion investor is thus interested, that may be the single most bullish signal I can imagine.

I think I found your $10 million in TSLA shares... Oh, WAIT!

TSLA.2023-05-31.16-00.png

Yeah, that's 22.76M SHARES traded during the 4:00 o'clock minute. I haven't seen that level of volume at the Closing Cross (>15% of the total Daily volum) except on a day like the S&P 500 Inclusion date (Fri, Dec 18, 2020).

Cheers to the HODL'ers!

They've been improved quite a bit. Save the money on a snake charger or robot and any difference in efficiency quickly becomes meaningless.

InductEV claims to have support for 450kW and 99% transmission efficiency. And they have a small installed base already.

I wonder if Tesla has partnered with an existing player for their eventual wireless charging option, or if it is built fully in-house. This is another case where we really need a good standard for interoperability.

Last edited:

He said: "if I might write them covered calls for $10MM of TSLA. That is a number I could safely swing, and the 10-13% effective yield that would engender is attractive…"

So it seems to me that the friend was being asked to write covered calls so that Blackrock could buy them. A 10-13% effective yield would accrue to the covered call writer. So, no, Blackrock is not selling covered calls, they want to buy calls.

And @Papafox original post included a note that this was bullish, and I´d guess he knows how options work...

After reading Papafox’s post again it seems I didn’t interpret it correctly. I’ve removed my post.

Anyone buying calls (like what blackrock is trying to do) is bullish. $10M worth of calls is Uber bullish since it is a one way bet. If you guess wrong on the timing that $10M is worth nothing. Blackrock are sophisticated investors so this is a good sign…
Ya, I get that.

I read his post to mean $10MM value of Tesla stock, not $10MM in options premiums. Seems like mice nuts to a firm like Blackrock. But agree, $10MM in options premiums would be significant. Maybe that's what @Papafox meant.

• Informative
Reactions: JusRelax