Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Grain of salt but Emmet Peppers is saying that Bloomberg China reports the new Model 3 will be shown off by Elon while he is in China.

edit
View attachment 942745
TPM - Total Productive Maintenance
NPI - New Product Introduction
IMG_1886.jpeg

IMG_1887.jpeg

A friend and fellow TSLA investor shared with me the following note that I am allowed to share:

…..I’ve just been contacted by one of the Biggies - the #1 by most measurements - BlackRock, to learn if I might write them covered calls for $10MM of TSLA. That is a number I could safely swing, and the 10-13% effective yield that would engender is attractive…

BUT. First, my investment philosophy does not incorporate such action - giving away upside is exactly opposite to why I’m invested in TSLA; second, I’m jiggered if I’m going even in such a small amount to assist their actions as Market Makers in having the Derivative Market tail wag the Equity Dog; and third, if a $10 trillion investor is thus interested, that may be the single most bullish signal I can imagine.

A friend and fellow TSLA investor shared with me the following note that I am allowed to share:

…..I’ve just been contacted by one of the Biggies - the #1 by most measurements - BlackRock, to learn if I might write them covered calls for $10MM of TSLA. That is a number I could safely swing, and the 10-13% effective yield that would engender is attractive…

BUT. First, my investment philosophy does not incorporate such action - giving away upside is exactly opposite to why I’m invested in TSLA; second, I’m jiggered if I’m going even in such a small amount to assist their actions as Market Makers in having the Derivative Market tail wag the Equity Dog; and third, if a $10 trillion investor is thus interested, that may be the single most bullish signal I can imagine.
Thanks @Papafox! You are a huge asset to this community.

Could you (or someone knowledgeable on this topic) explain the ramifications of this as if I was a 5 year old? Blackrock wants to buy calls on $10MM of TSLA? I don't understand why that would be such a bullish signal?

Grain of salt but Emmet Peppers is saying that Bloomberg China reports the new Model 3 will be shown off by Elon while he is in China.

edit
View attachment 942745
It's currently 2:45 in the morning over there. So I would assume the announcement/reveal will come sometime this evening on the west coast. Probably like 6-7 pm PT

What time frame on those calls?

Induction charging, just park over a pad. Seems the easiest way to do it.

Except currently *checks notes*...zero...out of about 4 million Teslas (and it'll be ~5 million by end of year) on the road have the hardware to charge that way- let alone the tens of thousands of chargers that would need added hardware (and then the ongoing maintenance of the tens of thousands of charging pads over time).

Plus the robot can pick up the trash passengers leave in the car- pad won't help with that.

Except currently *checks notes*...zero...out of about 4 million Teslas (and it'll be ~5 million by end of year) on the road have the hardware to charge that way- let alone the tens of thousands of chargers that would need added hardware (and then the ongoing maintenance of the tens of thousands of charging pads over time).

Plus the robot can pick up the trash passengers leave in the car- pad won't help with that.
+1
Entire purpose of humanoid Optimus is to integrate into existing human infrastructure.
The other branch in the road from this point is the "machine friendly world" in which humans are unable to fulfill tasks much less compete.

Except currently *checks notes*...zero...out of about 4 million Teslas (and it'll be ~5 million by end of year) on the road are outfitted specifically as robotaxis while Tesla has released images of inductive charging. 😉

wireless-wall-connector-2.jpg

It does seem that if an RT fleet required unique charging, an automated cable would be the more efficient route (energy wise); however, cycle life (vehicle side connector) might be a concern.

Inductive for Boring (charge while swapping passengers or idle) might be a good use case.

Except currently *checks notes*...zero...out of about 4 million Teslas (and it'll be ~5 million by end of year) on the road are outfitted specifically as robotaxis while Tesla has released images of inductive charging. 😉

It does seem that if an RT fleet required unique charging, an automated cable would be the more efficient route (energy wise); however, cycle life (vehicle side connector) might be a concern.

Inductive for Boring (charge while swapping passengers or idle) might be a good use case.
Someone has to be on hand to clean the cars anyway. Interior, cameras etc. For the near future it will be a human plugging them in and then doing a quick detail while they charge.

It does seem that if an RT fleet required unique charging, an Optimus Robot at a dedicated RoboTaxi charging and cleaning facility would be the more efficient route (energy wise); however, cycle life (vehicle side connector) might be a concern. It could also clean cars, and charge itself whenever a charger was available.

FTFY

Thanks @Papafox! You are a huge asset to this community.

Could you (or someone knowledgeable on this topic) explain the ramifications of this as if I was a 5 year old? Blackrock wants to buy calls on $10MM of TSLA? I don't understand why that would be such a bullish signal?
Much learning can be obtained in the Wheel options thread. However, suffice it to say: writing/selling covered calls (CCs) is a bet that the stock price will NOT exceed a certain level by a certain time. Hence a bearish bet, though limited in time and SP level.

In news more appropriate to this thread, I visited the Vancouver, WA service/sales center yesterday (May 30th) and the lot was absolutely full of Teslas, but there didn’t seem to be any sales activity. I’m a bit surprised by the lack of activity and the number of vehicles on-site. I actually saw more activity (though fewer cars) at the smaller, Spokane SC a few weeks ago. Both of these SCs are relatively new, and we’re not at EOQ, but I really expected to see more activity. I’m not sure what to make of the situation, but Tesla is clearly transitioning to having plenty of on-site inventory and a walk-in zero-day buying is absolutely possible. Positive? Negative? IDK.

Elon has said many times they expect (nearly- not the AP1 or pre-AP models obvously) all the Teslas on the road to be capable as robotaxis without needing HW4.

One can certainly doubt the current HW will turn out capable of it (and Tesla has been wrong on that point multiple times in the past- so that's a super reasonable doubt- indeed it's one I share)- but that's the current claim.

The inductive thing is...just a picture.... and it's pretty clearly L2 charging, not supercharging, given it's in a home garage with a wall charger (and would almost certainly still require HW none of the cars on the road today actually have- let alone what the cars would need to supercharge)