Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I think Tesla plans to solve the whole RHD/LHD production issue by adopting 'drive-by-wire'. See Tesla's recent patents: (Articles dated June 19, 2023)
Obviously simplfies production, and MY DREAM, it allows an Owner to switch sides ... very apropos for the EV transitions! Just imagine driving from John O'Groats to Sparta... then if we can get a multi-lingual charger, carry on to Beijing! :D

Cheers!
That would certainly be pretty revolutionary. Fingers crossed !

• Love
Reactions: Artful Dodger
The cost isn't necessarily huge, but if you are only talking about 40k S and 40k X/year, supporting 2-3k LHD vehicles per model just might not be worth it-- it is essentially 2 weeks of production so how do you split it up where it makes sense?

A number of OEMs don't bother to make RHD vehicles. For example last I heard RAM doesn't make their trucks in RHD, but there is a company that converts them for the Australian market. (I don't know if they import them themselves, or if RAM contracts with that company to perform the conversions.)

Maybe the smarter move would be to go full steer by wire for the S/X so the only real change is the instrument panel assembly, and then bring it back.
That still doesn't resolve the position of the brakes... Or the door panels and associated switches and wiring, B pillar card reader and wiring, etc., etc.

Last edited:
Maybe after years of error rates this large James should consider factoring in that his predictive model simply isn't very good? As I pointed out earlier some of his previous-years predictions had stuff like including production #s on new vehicles not even announced yet but somehow expecting delivery to customers within the same year. In their entire history Tesla has never done anything remotely like that.

He's a nice guy, but years on of this he appears to be making no effort at ever being any less wrong.

I don't follow him for his predictions. ;) Just for the pretty graphs.

Some times you just have to focus on the left side of the graph.

I really don't understand the logic behind Tesla's cancelling of RHD at all. Sure, I'm in the UK, and an ex model S driver, so it feels particularly bad, but we are not the only country in the world that is RHD.
I can understand the thinking if it was a low-priced, low-profit model, but the S and X and both expensive, and also brand ambassadors.
I can see them sticking an extra few thousand £ on the price to cover for the apparently amazing amount of work required to make an RHD variant.... but to not offer them at any price smacks of an insult.

Its basically telling every wealthy UK EV buyer who likes a sporty sedan, than they should go buy a Porsche. Madness. Combine this with the USS mess, and the zero-FSD in the UK, and Tesla is really not doing a good job at all, of building its brand here. Elon or Tom Zhou needs to visit the UK and talk to some Tesla owners.

It would make sense for Tesla not to invest in tooling for a RHD S/X if the production run is too short to recover the investment. The current S/X model is basically 3 years old, there's probably a new model around the corner. Maybe not next month or so, but I would expect a refresh within the next 12-24 months. The botched ramp of the current S/X probably killed the case for RHD S/X.

Unlike many politically correct folks, I like SMR. He's been honest and consistent. Unlike many, many others he's been quite on track with criticizing the media and observing the truth. Many have called him names, which I get, but nevertheless he gets my vote.

People have become softer and scared. It used to be fine to call somebody "fat" when it was the truth. Now, it ain't so because we can hurt one's feelings. This is not the worst - it is only so because the media uses its powers to tell folks what to think.

SMR, thanks God, ain't from the US of A so he can name things by their first and last names.

He's been the only one while all the others were totally silent, to say the things people needed to hear especially about Tesla's mission and the abuse and corruption from the govt and media.
Hmm... Was it ever really "fine" to call somebody "fat"? No, actually, it has always been cruel, and unnecessary.

No more Options - pure shares now. Taking Elon at his word (indirectly).

No more buying for now sure- but has been a nice time to sell them... say, as a not financial advice example, $300 strikes for this Friday near the opening high- already at ~30% profit after ~2 hours...though I hear there's a whole other thread for further discussion of this.

Which OEM? I mean if you’re strictly an assembly OEM then cost difference is probably negligible, but if you’re an OEM that’s extremely vertically integrated - maybe not so much.

Elon commented years ago that there was significant down-time for the production line to switch between LHD and RHD production. This is obviously not a problem for most OEMs who are not production-limited They have lots of spare GA capacity, which is often idled due to their real limiting factor ('D'-word redacted) ;)

Only have to go back 10-days to the comical Jonas 'UP-is-DN-grade' to close that gap... :p

Intraday high on June 21st was $276.99 and today's intraday low was $276.08 moments after the Open. We did kiss the Upper-BB at 09-48 which triggered some technical selling. Now the fight for $280 is at hand.

sc.TSLA.10-DayChart.2023-07-03.10-55.png

Cheers!

It would make sense for Tesla not to invest in tooling for a RHD S/X if the production run is too short to recover the investment. The current S/X model is basically 3 years old, there's probably a new model around the corner. Maybe not next month or so, but I would expect a refresh within the next 12-24 months. The botched ramp of the current S/X probably killed the case for RHD S/X.

Is it really possible to drive RHD vehicle on LHD roads.(other than as a forced inconvenience when travelling multiple countries).? What kinda 1st principles is this ? ;)

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2023-07-03 at 10.56.47 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2023-07-03 at 10.56.47 AM.png
    1.2 MB · Views: 63
Hmm... Was it ever really "fine" to call somebody "fat"? No, actually, it has always been cruel, and unnecessary.
Tend to agree coming from Canada into the US as a young adult, the change was evident, was like walking onto the set of Married with Children everytime I came to the US (about 10 times). SMR's little acts of retartedness drag on me, but I like how he starts with key media reports and so I only listen to his first few min. I prefer other tubers that don't belabor the points for 5 min. Also, he did actually help a lot (couple years ago) to convince a friend of mine to buy TSLA. Some folks respond to that ridicule (on steroids). He's also on-point with the facts from what I've seen. So pick your channels, and get some other views.

Lots of hype surrounding the Norwegian phosphate story. It’s a repeat of 24 months ago. The “was 10, now 70bn tons” number is NOT new - such also appeared in 2021.
As I’ve looked at it, it appears to be legitimate but not yet a lock-tight story.
The titanium portion of the hype, though?

Pfffft. A bucket of ilmenite is worth a bucket of sand. It’s great if you want white paint. Rutile is what you need to find if you’re considering going into Ti-metallurgy. Super, super costly - and energy engulfing - to alter ilmenite into rutile (thence metallic Ti).

"Kentucky is requiring that electric vehicle charging companies include Tesla's plug if they want to be part of a state program to electrify highways using federal dollars, according to documents reviewed by Reuters.
Kentucky's plan went into effect on Friday, making it the first state to mandate Tesla's charging technology, although Texas and Washington states previously shared such plans with Reuters."

In certain eras/cultures, it was a compliment. Showed wealth/status. History is fascinating! Sometimes it feels like the majority of North Americans are hopelessly narrow in our perspectives...

Edit: and to keep this on topic - SP gains are pleasantly plump today. We can only hope for some nice fat margins for Q2 as well - that should bloat my unrealized gains to gargantuan proportions! (too much?? 😏)

In certain eras/cultures, it was a compliment. Showed wealth/status. History is fascinating! Sometimes it feels like the majority of North Americans are hopelessly narrow in our perspectives...

Edit: and to keep this on topic - SP gains are pleasantly plump today. We can only hope for some nice fat margins for Q2 as well - that should bloat my unrealized gains to gargantuan proportions! (too much?? 😏)
I think you are mistaking the word 'fat' for 'phat' :)

Is it better to use the resources to build a RHD S/X in order to sell maybe 10K cars at 25% margin, ... or, to go all in on building 5M Robotaxis with 80% gross margins?
------------------------------------------
Even on this board, the skepticism of Bot and RT are still rampant. (I understand but you gotta get over it.) To me, it's a done deal. No, not 100% sure but close enough that it's an expected rather than hoped for outcome.

You guys aren’t thinking big enough.

After converting OEMs to his my NAC standard, Elon I will just convert RHD markets to LHD. Problem solved.

I’m betting Australia will be the Ford in this scenario, and Uk will be like VW, given their slow acceptance of fluoride and braces.
FTFY

Here's a good Elon interview, and for those that don't care for Steven Mark Ryan, he doesn't critique it. The interview itself is all that plays.

Thanks, it is indeed an interview I missed! I do wish the interviewers would actually ask detailed questions though. Elon stated that Superchargers were going to deliver 800V. Did he mean current SCs will be retrofitted, or is he talking only about new ones?

I found it interesting that the interviewer asked whether Tesla was going to get into the building heat pump business and Elon totally didn’t answer the question and instead talked about Powerwall. Read what you want to from that.

Reactions: Drumheller