Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Elon talks about the economy and presumably steers the company accordingly, it's relevant if he's correct or not. Everyone is free to decide the validity of Krugman's points.
Fair enough. If you had said that in your post, i would have had a different response. Thanks for clarifying.

That said, they talked about price changes for automotive on a weekly basis on Q1 2022 earnings call. Sounds like they’re quite nimble and don’t just go off of Elon’s off the cuff twitter posts. Although, they have eliminated debt and built up cash. And the auto market isn’t the entire economy.

I will maintain I do not trust Krugman on any of this, though.

Tesla currently has 52 job openings for the Tesla Bot. It is worth noting that 5 of these postings are specifically for "Manufacturing". What's even more exciting is that one of these positions is for a "Line Lead" role in Sparks, Nevada!

View attachment 953529
------------------------------------------------------------------------------View attachment 953531--------------------------------------------------------------------
Manufacturing job openings

Line Lead - Tesla Bot

View attachment 953534

I hope they start with catgirls, else I'm selling my whole position

Elon talks about the economy and presumably steers the company accordingly, it's relevant if he's correct or not. Everyone is free to decide the validity of Krugman's points.
IMO Elon tries to identify and plan for the worst thing that can happen, and also to warn others in advance.

Sometimes the worst thing that can happen doesn't happen, usually allowing for it doesn't have a major impact on the companies operations.

Fears about a possible recession, didn't seem to overly slow down Tesla's expansion plans. if there is a short term impact, I am sure it is quickly reversed.

Often Elon seems to be warning bullish investors not to over leverage and not to gamble on short term price movements, good advice IMO.

Elon tends to want to share his opinion on everything, I guess you could call that "free speech".

Yes, but hopefully the beneficiaries of your will continue to HODL... OK, HODL most of it.

I personally plan on living forever.
Plus, Tesla will live forever and "tesla" will become a synonym move or transport, especially when they're able to capture enough energy to actually "transport" ala Star Trek.

This will all happen when Taco Bell becomes a synonym for food and we all get monetarily penalized for both speaking and writing (perhaps even thinking) curse words.

/s (no sugar shitlock)

Lolwut?!? This is nonsense. GTFO.

SIMPLE EXAMPLE:

Company X has 1,000,000 shares on issue.

There are 100 shareholders owning 10,000 shares each.

Current share price is $10. Market cap is $10 million. Each shareholder with 1,000 shares has $100k worth of shares.

1 person sells their 1,000 shareholding to a new investor, at a price of $11 per share.

After transaction with the share price at $11: market cap is $11 million. Each shareholder with 1,000 shares has $110k worth of shares.

$1 million worth of market cap has been added, no one has lost any money.

Even using the absurd notion of foregone gains by those that sold, the person who sold at $11 has lost precisely zero dollars, while the other 999 shareholders have gained $10,000 each.

lets say the next sale is at $22 per share. The market cap increases by $11 million to $22 million, and 999 shareholders gain $110k in the value of their holding. The one person who sold at $11 has missed out on that $110k in upside gains, but that is 1 person missing out on 110k vs 999 people up 110k each.

In no way is that a zero sum game.

There is a reason the Weapon of Mass Wealth Creation known as the stockmarket is one of the best inventions ever.
Typo in number of shareholders & shares in my original post (Too late to edit) but doesn’t negate the point. Here it is in table form:

IMG_0805.jpeg

Reactions: FSDtester#1
Not directly on topic, but still relevant as it gives a glimpse into a future (this might become a regular thing, showcasing the potential of big batteries):
So maybe your TSLA holdings aren't paying dividends (yet), but your Tesla auto is!

I love it! Please send some of that pricing in NA's direction!

Last edited:
Tesla currently has 52 job openings for the Tesla Bot. It is worth noting that 5 of these postings are specifically for "Manufacturing". What's even more exciting is that one of these positions is for a "Line Lead" role in Sparks, Nevada!

View attachment 953529
------------------------------------------------------------------------------View attachment 953531--------------------------------------------------------------------
Manufacturing job openings

Line Lead - Tesla Bot

View attachment 953534
That's not exciting. Exciting would be if they were hiring 1 person to build 1 bot.

• Funny
Reactions: Mike Ambler
Typo in number of shareholders & shares in my original post (Too late to edit) but doesn’t negate the point. Here it is in table form:

View attachment 953541
I still disagree. This is paper wealth which is illusory unless backed up by actual earnings potential value of the underlying company.

If someone hypes and pumps a stock, did they create wealth? Or sell snake oil?
They may have *made* money trading stock with that ruse, but they didn’t earn it by making a wise investment decision, much less creating economic value.

I still disagree. This is paper wealth which is illusory unless backed up by actual earnings potential value of the underlying company.

If someone hypes and pumps a stock, did they create wealth? Or sell snake oil?
They may have *made* money trading stock with that ruse, but they didn’t earn it by making a wise investment decision, much less creating economic value.
my example above is a purely hypothetical company. (Easy to add that between the $11 trade and the $22 trade the fundamentals hypothetically improved by 2x. No snake oil needed In this example).

Besides the core principle is that a trade in a small fraction of outstanding shares moves the value of all shareholder positions, not just those that are traded. Just like what happens every day on the sharemarket where a tiny amount of a company is traded every trading day, yet moves the value of all shareholders holdings.

I figured this is a very easy concept to grasp.

Last edited:
  • Disagree
Reactions: Skryll and CyberShy

Wow, this is awesome. I told my wife and she said "Let me know when it can pull weeds" :)

My view is over a long period inflation eventually is priced into stocks.

Inputs increase-->prices are raised--->increased profits even if nominally (inflation adjusted) the same. The key is being able to hold long term as I do believe it can take a while for this cycle to play out.

Sure. During inflationary times, you want to own stocks and real estate, and if needed, borrow money at fixed rates. Do NOT lend money (ie. don't buy bonds!).

Several media outlets are reporting VW is in talks with Tesla to join the NACS (Tesla) standard for North American vehicles. IMO this carries more weight than Ford or GM joining. VW is the 2nd largest auto manufacturer in the World with brands that include Audi, Bentley, Bugatti, Porshe and Lamborghini. If VW joins, in order to stay competitive in the EV landscape, BMW and Mercedes will need to join as well or become obsolete. Also with the largest European manufacturer adapting to NACS if their talks are successful with Tesla, it may also cause NACS to become a world standard, not just in the USA.

This is likely helping drive TSLA up after hours.
Tesla stated during the Investor Day that they want to be the "air traffic controllers to the world" (IIRC) when it comes to the software associated with charging. For example: routing cars to available chargers. I think the software side of any deal is more important than which plug people are using.

Also, they want charging to take place during the day when people are working (and when solar is cheap) ... so, the inductive charging acquisition was actually a pretty big deal.

View attachment 953541

All this represented on a fancy table (still needs pictures with arrows and a paragraph on the back of each one...) and nobody had to pay for the shares sold. Wow, that's pretty cool.

Or, is it that the buyer only didn't have to pay the difference between what the seller paid and the asking price? That is still a good deal.

Here I've been paying full price for shares all the while, losing fingernails digging through couches and missing out on this non-zero-sum action. Who can I trade with to take advantage of this method where the seller's profit doesn't come from the buyer of the shares?

This could mean that synthetic shares really aren't anything to be concerned about either if it is all just magical like that.

Consider me capitulated. This makes me feel like I've wasted a lot of time balancing checkbooks over the years.

/S

Last edited:

^Great news for human life sustainability. I don't know how truly important this is for EV's, since I assume we have several battery chemistries to choose from in case of shortages, but this is absolutely massive for agriculture. My horticulture professor talked about phosphate shortage dangers decades ago already - to have this massive deposit turn up in Norway, a stable country, is a good thing for all of us.

Speaking of Bots, here's a silly prediction. Seems Tesla shows bots in groups of Prime numbers. (Recalling 3 in the Bot build scene, then 5 below). If so, next movie should have 7 bots. I'll be counting them of course. (It's a number thing, sorry.)

View attachment 953558

You 'dis guy?

Attachments

• Count_von_Count_kneeling.png
    Count_von_Count_kneeling.png
    141.4 KB · Views: 58

^Great news for human life sustainability. I don't know how truly important this is for EV's, since I assume we have several battery chemistries to choose from in case of shortages, but this is absolutely massive for agriculture. My horticulture professor talked about phosphate shortage dangers decades ago already - to have this massive deposit turn up in Norway, a stable country, is a good thing for all of us.
However, this is a big issue:-

There is also concern about the environmental impact as phosphate fertiliser which runs off land in rainwater has caused algae blooms in rivers.

The good news is, Elon isn't going to run out of problems to solve.

"Tesla Electric customers in Texas are reporting making as much as $150 a day during the heat waves as Tesla’s virtual power plant is coming together with over 6MW of power."