Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
There are some times when "Lack of evidence does not mean evidence of lack" is not operative.

I refer to the fate of the Fremantle Highway, that 3,000 vehicle car carrier now three days into burning off the coast of Zeeland. That there has not been a peep, as far as my reasonably thorough searching has uncovered, that a Tesla was involved is good enough for me to declare that to a 99.44% likelihood, with error bars of +/- 0.56%, whatever EV combusted and, on edit following @Words of HABIT's note, if it IS shown to have been EV-generated, it was NOT a Tesla.

We would have heard, guarandumbteed.

I just received an email from Tesla to advertise their FSD transfer option (subject: Buy a New Tesla, Keep Your FSD Capability). Unlike what I've read in the past, it will not be lost when the new vehicle is sold. I don't remember seeing this update hashed out here, if it was mods feel free to delete. Here's the FAQ verbiage :

If I sell my new vehicle, will the FSD capability stay with it?
Yes. Once you transfer your FSD capability, it will stay with the new vehicle. If you sell the new vehicle, the FSD capability will stay with the vehicle and be available to the new vehicle owner

Is this new?

Yes, it changed a few days after the announcement:

Reactions: replicant
I guess you can’t keep your brush in the trunk. Frunk?
I keep all my car accessories in the frunk. Cables, air pump, tire gauges, homemade pucks, cleaning supplies, lug nut key … but no brush. Okay, just added a brush to my WalMart list for our next road trip North. That will be in October so snow is not likely, but then again it was an October snow at the Grand Canyon!

AUTOS

As Ford loses billions on EVs, the company embraces hybrids​

PUBLISHED FRI, JUL 28 20232:59 PM EDTUPDATED 6 HOURS AGO
thumbnail

John Rosevear@IN/JROSEVEAR
SHAREShare Article via FacebookShare Article via TwitterShare Article via LinkedInShare Article via Email
KEY POINTS
  • Ford executives said the automaker is working on a slate of new hybrid models.
  • The comments run slightly counter to recent messaging from the Detroit automakers.
  • “What the customer really likes is when we take a hybrid system that’s more efficient for certain duty cycles and then we add new capabilities because of the batteries,” CEO Jim Farley said after the company’s second-quarter earnings report.
In this article
Follow your favorite stocksCREATE FREE ACCOUNT
Ford Motor Co. displays a new 2021 Ford F-150 pickup truck at the Rouge Complex in Dearborn, Michigan, Sept. 17, 2020.

Ford Motor Co. displays a new 2021 Ford F-150 pickup truck at the Rouge Complex in Dearborn, Michigan, Sept. 17, 2020.
Rebecca Cook | Reuters
Heads up, hybrid fans: Ford Motor is working on a whole bunch of new hybrid models.
“You’re going to see a lot more hybrid systems from us,” CEO Jim Farley said Thursday after the company reported second-quarter earnings that revealed widening losses on its electric vehicles unit.

I keep all my car accessories in the frunk. Cables, air pump, tire gauges, homemade pucks, cleaning supplies, lug nut key … but no brush. Okay, just added a brush to my WalMart list for our next road trip North. That will be in October so snow is not likely, but then again it was an October snow at the Grand Canyon!
I keep my go bag, mobile charger adapters, towels, tire repair kit and pump, and pucks (not home made) in the frun and I’ve never opened it except to add washer fluid. Testament to both reliability and the extensive charging network.

weird Y axis, should have been normalized from 0 - 100 not a "random number up to 5" so their graphs make little sense. The data is not presented in a manner to convey the salient point(s) read all 3 of them as a participant data point.

It's a Boomburg 'pushpoll' anyways, what did you expect? They only conducted that poll to collect the answers the editorial board intended to publish all along. 'Useful idiots' comes to mind. MSM been attacking Elon since 2017 when they collectively decided they would 'play-the-man, not-the-ball'.

Tesla Sales, meantime, is limited by Production, not by the MSM, flail as they might. It's gonna be a long, lonely decade in that editorial rum as they scrape the bottom of the barrel for new ways to fail at their old brief.

Hah! :D

Don't forget the obligatory deicing shovel! :D

• Helpful
Reactions: JimS

AUTOS

As Ford loses billions on EVs, the company embraces hybrids​

PUBLISHED FRI, JUL 28 20232:59 PM EDTUPDATED 6 HOURS AGO
thumbnail

John Rosevear@IN/JROSEVEAR
SHAREShare Article via FacebookShare Article via TwitterShare Article via LinkedInShare Article via Email
KEY POINTS
  • Ford executives said the automaker is working on a slate of new hybrid models.
  • The comments run slightly counter to recent messaging from the Detroit automakers.
  • “What the customer really likes is when we take a hybrid system that’s more efficient for certain duty cycles and then we add new capabilities because of the batteries,” CEO Jim Farley said after the company’s second-quarter earnings report.
In this article
Follow your favorite stocksCREATE FREE ACCOUNT

Rebecca Cook | Reuters
Heads up, hybrid fans: Ford Motor is working on a whole bunch of new hybrid models.
“You’re going to see a lot more hybrid systems from us,” CEO Jim Farley said Thursday after the company reported second-quarter earnings that revealed widening losses on its electric vehicles unit.
Why on Earth would Ford pull a Toyota and sink money into hybrids? That's like companies deciding that ISDN is the future...or thinking we should go back to LaserDiscs. Bad move by Jim Farley.

If the TCO argument is actually changing hearts and minds, why are concerted efforts (in the name of “freedom”) to slow the transition still thoroughly entrenched on one side of the aisle:

I'm only speaking for my area in Canada - American politics/culture are different from Manitoba's. It's not a huge uptake compared to other parts of the world, but the demographic I described are the people I see switching over. I'm not going to take your bait and make this political - your presuppositions totally missed my point.

However, I wouldn't be surprised to see small to medium business switch over en masse everywhere once Tesla releases a cheaper car and/or CyberVan (maybe the Cybertruck is enough depending on pricing - I know several farmers that have reservations, or who have already bought the Lightning to save on fuel costs).

Tesla's Biggest Problem Right Now | The Motley Fool "Tesla is the only major automaker lowering prices."

Motley Fool promoting videos from someone with 4.47K subscribers....$TSLA is going to the moon for sure now!!

... published 9 days after Ford lowers prices on their F-150 EV. So, "Right Now" means this week, (except, Tesla didn't lower prices this week, certainly not by $10K in the U.S. like Ford).

...This Weak. ;)

Last edited:
can we please do that a few more times, say enough to get the 1Y view green without taking the slow route of scrolling sideways until the old highs drop off?

View attachment 960528

Indeed, even if we trade sideways for awhile, the intraday high hit on July 19, 2023 will become the new 52-week High on Sep 23, 2023.

sc.TSLA.1-YrChart.2023-07-28.22-00.png

I expect we'll be seeing both 'Highland' and 'Cybertruck' Highs by then however. :D

Cheers to the Longs!

Because they don't have the batteries?
Yes, primarily.

And there are tons of people who lack a convenient and assured place to charge overnight. A hybrid is a halfway but appealing solution as gas stations begin to fade away.

A plug-in hybrid even charges tolerably on common wall power.

With constrained battery access, this is a short but rational path for flailing ICE producers where many customers lack easy reliable access to superchargers.

We could discuss the various paths to mitigate the appeal of hybrids as the charging infrastructure is built out.

The collapse in support for the Green party in Germany is strong evidence that the public will not support climate change rules that they believe will affect their pocketbooks. Pushing too hard in the US could contribute to a collapse in policy.
The Greens are about where they were 3-years ago. The party that has really risen is the hard right AfD who to my eyes are in about the same place as the Trumpian MAGA populists. For AfD and MAGA green issues are used to mobilise their base and drive wedges. It is the CDU/CSU centre right who have suffered most from this. Just like populist UKIP took over the Con right wing in the UK and drove out the centre right from the Cons. And are now using the same anti-green wedge issues.

Fortunately as TSLA investors the total cost of ownership is a compelling economic argument that is driving purchasers, irrespective of green issues. So long as Tesla keeps making ever-more affordable and relevant vehicles that are progressively accessible and compelling for each segment, then the politicians can simply get out of the way now. Which is good for green as well. So this Cybertruck thingy for the mid-West and the 2/Z hatchback for the rest of the world.

1690624958337.png

Want to avoid this going wide. My only reply is purchasing not red states being willing to compete for factories.

50% of Democrats interested in EVs, 26% Republican, 27% Independents.
I just realized how far off we all could be on estimating EV market readiness. The fact that many have incorrect mental models of what it means to own an EV, people don't actually know yet. Any survey would need to come with a sanity questionnaire at this point - just throw out the answers if they are misguided. And this could be the remaining hold-outs.

Put another way, if ICE lovers knew the difference in all aspects (cost, environment, simplicity...), wouldn't they all want EVs? So those mental blocks and false biases will eventually erode over time.

Put even simpler, given the choice of ICE vs BEV to someone who's never seen a car... which do you think they'd prefer? 100% EVs would win (towing and other unique use cases aside). ICE is so idiotic in comparison, and when the temperature in Phx hits 130F and there's no denying reasons why, those holdouts will become marked rebels and had better hide their dirty little secrets. People will be running over to their exhaust pipes with garbage bags trying to capture the mess before shutting it down (just kidding, lol).

IMO, an EV Survey is measuring someone's bias based on Facts + FUD. Despite bias, the choice is clear and not even worth debating. Further, the hatred for those who resist this migration will constantly increase with every storm... and they will be nasty. Anyone profiting from such in 5 yrs, look out.