Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
EV sales globally are now 19% of all auto sales, as of mid-2023 and up from 13% at end 2022.

(of that 19% some 13% are BEV and 6% PHEV from memory)

There is only a 5x left from here. I don't know where you get the 10x calc from.

It is getting remarkably close to game over.
Is Tesla's goal not to produce 20million vehicles per year?

EV sales globally are now 19% of all auto sales, as of mid-2023 and up from 13% at end 2022.

(of that 19% some 13% are BEV and 6% PHEV from memory)

There is only a 5x left from here. I don't know where you get the 10x calc from.

It is getting remarkably close to game over.
The reference was to TESLA 10Xing to 20 million not the entire EV industry.

Tesla will 10X, EV industry will 5X

Also, I wouldn't consider PHEV an EV so the whole market will need to go from 13% to 90%+

Does cruise or waymo have a solution for bad weather, when the LIDAR is absolutely useless? What is the point of HD maps when they are out of date immediately? Who the hell is going to install a robotaxi app for a ride hailing service that only works in decent weather? and only if there are no sudden roadworks or emergency diversions?
Waymo lose money on every journey. 'expanding' just means losing even more money. I hate to have to state the obvious but that is not a business model, its a pump-and-dump scheme that the executives responsible probably hope to quit and flee the company before anybody questions it.
check out the hardware:
3 lidar units and 3 radars, and cameras, all fitted to a high end jaguar i-pace for each car. Ridiculous expense. The chances of this being a commercial proposition that might be cheaper than uber is zero. Jaguar and the companies who make lidar probably love waymo.

Its LAUGHABLE to brag about waymo expanding to another ting ring-fenced area in another city. Big whoop. Tesla is collecting data from every Tesla on earth. Their dataset is unmatched, and at this point, cannot be matched.

If you want to pump the value of waymo stock, try twitter, or reddit, or anywhere not full of people who actually look into the details like we do here.

What a weird argument, solution for bad weather? You know Cruise and Waymo uses cameras too, right? They have the same sensor set as Tesla and more. They could just rely on cameras too in bad weather. You can argue about the cost, but saying they can't drive in poor weather because of Lidar is just silly.

As for data advantage, I used to think it mattered a lot too before. But I am facing the facts of the evidence coming in. You should read this twitter thread from Kyle Vogt, Cruise's CEO:

In it he elaborates on how when they go into a new city, initially the performance is a bit worse than it was in San Francisco. So that goes to your point about the data advantage.

Except...they collect data for a few months and improve the models rapidly to reach similar performance in all cities.

This IS scalable. Cruise can get their software working in the biggest 50 metro areas in a few year probably, just with this iterate, deploy, and collect new data.

What data are they missing that they can't collect in a few months in each new place?

The reference was to TESLA 10Xing to 20 million not the entire EV industry.

Tesla will 10X, EV industry will 5X

Also, I wouldn't consider PHEV an EV so the whole market will need to go from 13% to 90%+
Also kinda thinking about this as the current global fleet rather than just new car sales that will take time to replace existing vehicles, and latest numbers I saw had EVs constituting ~1% of the 250million vehicles on roads today in the US (not sure about global, China is probably higher)

Reactions: MountainRatMat
Wow, listening to the Rivian earnings call and it is like listening to a Tesla earnings call a few years ago but much more subdued and not as many F-bombs.

Telsa is the clear leader and all other manufacturers are following the formula.

Software, blah blah blah
Over the air updates blah blah blah
Master of Reddit blah blah blah
We vertically integrate everything blah blah blah

Tesla has setup the Virtual Power Plant (utilizing customer Powerwalls) in MA, CT and RI.
They keep 20% of the compensation (they receive 100% from the Utility company and pass on 80% to the homeowner).
As these programs continue to scale across the country, I suspect the margins will be huge.

1691530794753.png

Tesla has setup the Virtual Power Plant (utilizing customer Powerwalls) in MA, CT and RI.
They keep 20% of the compensation (they receive 100% from the Utility company and pass on 80% to the homeowner).
As these programs continue to scale across the country, I suspect the margins will be huge.

View attachment 963295
20% of the profits for a service that is nearly automated sounds amazing. Tesla could well make more from energy trading over the life of the powerwall than they make from the initial sale. Or to put another way, Tesla could probably give the powerwalls away for free and still come out ahead over the life of the asset.

Energy trading desks at banks and other trading shops are extremely lucrative if done correctly (particularly when there are market dislocations) - It's a shame Tesla can only scale as fast as it's battery storage.

If the market treats this as recurring revenue it will also attract juicy valuation multiples.

So GM claims to have at least 600 orders for the Cadillac Celestic. For a whopping $340,00 you can go from 0-60 in "about 3.8 seconds". You get a 111 kWh battery that will take you about 300 miles on a charge and be seen in the Celestiq whose styling is, well, let's just say the ghost of Harly Earl is evident. Hand made 2ish per day. First deliveries Christmasish 2023. Wow what competition.

So GM claims to have at least 600 orders for the Cadillac Celestic. For a whopping $340,00 you can go from 0-60 in "about 3.8 seconds". You get a 111 kWh battery that will take you about 300 miles on a charge and be seen in the Celestiq whose styling is, well, let's just say the ghost of Harly Earl is evident. Hand made 2ish per day. First deliveries Christmasish 2023. Wow what competition.
Curious to see how many actually get made and how many orders get cancelled. I guess the bar is set really low already so it does not really matter anyways 🥴 🥴 🥴

Well barf me with a spoon, for $340,000 wouldn’t you think they’d at least lose the inexplicable hideous Darth-Vader-esque front grill from hell that degrades most non-Teslas??

And @WolfHero , thanks, I had no clue Corey had a last name!

Last edited:
Couldn't find this mentioned anywhere, but this is what happens when all of Market St in SF is closed. Commercial Real Estate went toxic, revolving credit shrinking, now banks downgraded. Deflation pending. China exports down big, people are trying to pay off credit cards with insane interests, spending spree is over. (Edit, I threw in other situations not mentioned below, all related tho.)

Meanwhile, Tesla is still chugging right along.

Last edited:
OT, in trying to confirm my the revolving credit statement (Edit: comment mentioned above), I am a bit overwhelmed by this data.
What are credit Flows? Is it the actively paid debt vs delinquent? Hmmm.

Last edited:
Reactions: pdwitt