Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Today's data point

"The Producer Price Index for final demand increased 0.3 percent in July. Prices for final demand services rose 0.5 percent, and the index for final demand goods edged up 0.1 percent. Prices for final demand advanced 0.8 percent for the 12 months ended in July."

Here's the link:

PPI 2023 M07 Results | U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics

And here's the pre-Market reaction for TSLA:

TSLA.2023.08-11.08-30.PPI.png

... and here's been the 'wedgies' goal since June 8, 2023: (and they call us religious fanatics)

TSLA.2023.06-08.to.2023-08-11.ClosingTheGap.png

Cheers to the Longs!

This biggest FUD about Ev's I have ever seen. That is saying something.
This is the MSM at their finest with nothing but fallacies about EV'S.
Disgusting

Lol I wonder if Ford okayed this article and maybe even wrote it themselves.

With the average new car price of just under $50k and insurance being as much as $200mo for some, driving is very quickly becoming what it once was, a luxury of the rich.

Good thing we country has invested so much in public transportation and our cities and suburbs are so walkable.

With the average new car price of just under $50k, new car buyers probably aren't worrying about efficiency. It's the used car owners who're struggling.

Except that the old "Public Procurement" rules will kick-in, requiring that funding is awarded "fairly" across a number of applicants, regardless of capability or execution skills, Boeing and Blue Origin getting funding for orbital payload delivery being a prime recent example
Almost agree. These are, if I'm not mistaken, the individual States that are running the bidding. (Y'know, the individual states that have Sovereign Jurisdiction, unlike the US Federal Government, which doesn't.) Which means to a greater or lesser extent that they set their individual rules. The Feds and some of the States might have that fairness doctrine floating around, but I rather doubt that all of them, or even the majority, do.

For those of you outside the borders of the U.S.A.: Quite a few of the individual States were sovereign independent countries before the Federation of these states formed the larger country. As a result, the 10th Amendment (the last of the Bill of Rights to go into the Constitution) was enacted. Yes, this makes running the country rather, "interesting", but it more or less works.

Heh. One Day, some years back, the Commonwealth of Massachusetts decided that the State Government was going to use FOSS standards for all documentation. Spreadsheets, documents, etc. As some of you probably know, most Microsoft Office documents are based on standards that are, pretty much, "Whatever Microsoft decided in the last fifteen minutes." So, the Open Document Format in which everything actually was laid out explicitly had a certain charm about it that the IT people in the State Government and their management liked.

When this hit the list of proposed rules Microsoft had a canary, of course, and sued. But most of their lawsuit were based upon some cock-a-mamie Federal Rules of Procurement; the Commonwealth was kind enough to point out to Microsoft's lawyers that the Commonwealth was, indeed, Sovereign, and didn't have to abide by those rules.

I don't remember who actually won that argument; but, nowadays, Microsoft Office has had the ability to save documents in ODF format, and the ODF format used is not, "Whatever Microsoft Says."

Wasn’t that

Wasn’t that some strange USA requirement to allow the i3 to be classified as an EV!?

BEVx classification, which allowed it to be treated as ZEV based on the all-electric range. Max 50% of credits could be earned through BEVx.
Part of the rule was that the gas range couldn't be more than the electric range.
The restriction was in software, and many US owners "unlocked" theirs, including EV writer/journalist Tom Moloughney.

Elsewhere the i3 REx operated much better, with a larger tank and running the generator earlier to ensure a better buffer.

All unintended consequences of the rules, just as the cancellation of the Volt was in part due to the rules. The new rules will be much better, with PHEVs with decent range ~40 EPA counting the same as a BEVs, but the max share limited to 20%. And surprise, surprise the RAV4 Prime, the new Prius Prime and the new C-HR Prime will meet the criteria because Toyota always does just enough.

If the new rules were in place in 2019, I think Chevrolet _might_ (just might) have kept making the Volt, or at least turned it into a crossover. They had lobbied but failed to make the BEVx rules allow vehicles like the Gen 2 Volt with AER satisfying commuter ranges and full EV performance. It really should have. There was a well-trodden ownership path of Prius -> Volt -> Long-range BEV.

A large proportion of the PEV market is heavily shaped by legislation.

Last edited:
Disgusting

$10,000 for 2 chargers, one at home, one at work.

WTH did he install? DCFC to his house? /s

(yes, I saw he had to upgrade his home electric panel - it's a joke)

Disgusting

Ford must have been late paying their advertising bill last month.

Disgusting

A buddy of mine emailed me yesterday regarding the linked story and asked if I could “run a plan” between Winnipeg and Chicago.

I asked him “You mean, like doing that trip in a Tesla product…no problem, give me a moment“.

Went to the Tesla app, ran a plan between 12 Portage Avenue in Winnipeg and City Hall in Chicago, set 100% for planned departure charge, out spit the plan, took two screen shots (to capture all the Supercharger stops) and emailed him back.

Best way to fight FUD, even with my 5.25 year old TM3 as the planned trip data source:

IMG_1450.png

Edit: spelling.

Last edited:
The little bit of the house showing in the photo appears to be new(ish). I wonder why the panel “had” to be upgraded?

I have a lake house from 1958, took me all of 2hrs and $300 in material to install mine. My primary house was 3hrs and about $500. I never have understood the stories of people spending many thousand to have an EVSE installed. The lake house only has 100amp service so that one is capped at 6.7kWh, but works well enough for 20-ish mi/hr on our MY and 10ish on the R1S.

The little bit of the house showing in the photo appears to be new(ish). I wonder why the panel “had” to be upgraded?

How much solar could you buy for $10K? How many powerwalls? What State incentives are available if you do so? And what would be your 5-year savings on electricity when charging on solar? I doubt this 'journalist' asked any of these questions.

Last edited:
I have a lake house from 1958, took me all of 2hrs and $300 in material to install mine. My primary house was 3hrs and about $500. I never have understood the stories of people spending many thousand to have an EVSE installed. The lake house only has 100amp service so that one is capped at 6.7kWh, but works well enough for 20-ish mi/hr on our MY and 10ish on the R1S.
It's either clueless people letting an electrician rip them off, or they are just liars. It's not like Fox is going to ask for receipts because they can just say "well the source told us this so we don't have to do any due diligence."