Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
After the last few years, the bio and everything, I simply don't trust 100% the concept that Elon has of "the right thing".
Elon is an outstanding CEO, but I do think he makes more mistakes in the "human side" than the engineering side.
Do the right thing is the moral/ethical right thing. In case you misunderstood.

After the last few years, the bio and everything, I simply don't trust 100% the concept that Elon has of "the right thing".
Elon is an outstanding CEO, but I do think he makes more mistakes in the "human side" than the engineering side.

He leads over 127k people at Tesla, 13k at SpaceX, 2.3k at X, 200 at Boring Company, 300 at Neuralink.

Please, can you share how you are an expert in how he manages his employees on the HR side as opposed to products/services?

I certainly am not. Personally, I've always been an individual contributor and, as such and being self-aware, I'm just astounded by what the guy is doing! To add on, I think we all should be!

Your attitude about this really surprises me. How is this not good for the mission? Tesla shouldn't have to do it all by themselves, and it's not like we, as fans of the mission, can't put "Tesla Inside" stickers on them, but lets wait and make sure BP maintains them properly first.
You missed the part where I don’t like people very much and would welcome a zombie apocalypse. So do I care about the mission? Depends on the day and how ugly people have been recently.

My issue with this BP deal etc., is the rebranding and removal of any vestiges that the idea, the invention, the hardware and the software are from Tesla. I don’t like that one little bit and I’ve stated why in previous posts.

They are not asking for a 40%+ pay raise. At least not relative to industry 'average' pay for these positions in Sweden.

The main thing the union want's here is a Collective agreement. Every other company of this size in this sector in Sweden has a Collective agreement. Tesla is the only company that doesn't.
They must think Tesla isn’t offering them enough of something, otherwise why would they need a collective agreement. No reason for a collective agreement if they believe everything is hunky dory.

What about when Elon decided to leave out risk #11 (tank rings to prevent fuel sloshing) on the 3rd launch at SpaceX? That Engineering mistake brought the whole company to a stand still. Try and top them cigars! 🚀🚀🚀

CTV News: General Motors and Stellantis in talks with United Auto Workers to reach deals that mirror Ford's

General Motors and Stellantis in talks with United Auto Workers to reach deals that mirror Ford's

"GM is likely to be the next company to settle because it has agreed to pull new electric vehicle battery factories into the UAW's national contract, which essentially unionizes them. The UAW sees the plants as the jobs of the future in the auto industry as the nation and world transition from internal combustion engines to battery power. Workers making gasoline engines and transmissions will need a place to work when their plants are phased out.

It wasn't clear what Ford agreed to in terms of battery factories. The company has said it would be hard to unionize employees who haven't been hired yet at plants that haven't been built. Ford had announced plans to build two battery factories in Kentucky, one in Tennessee and another in Michigan, but the Michigan plant is now on hold."

Wow. Today Union Auto Workers are making gasoline engines and transmissions. Tomorrow the same Union Auto Workers will be making new electric vehicle battery factories. Does GM and UAW really believe it is that simple to switch disciplines? Would you hire a plumber to complete the electrical wiring in your house? Would you allow an obstetrician to perform your brain surgery? Just wow.
I love it! It’s a recipe for the perfect demise. Bravo!

The union has been talking to Tesla since they set up shop in Sweden. So at least 10 years, if not 15... But Tesla hasn't even come to the table(!)... So what would have been a reasonable amount of time here? 20 years? 25? 30?
If they’ve been talking to Tesla then Tesla has come to the table. Or are we disputing no physical table has been present during emails, texts, zoom meetings or phone calls of ‘talking’.

I think you are missing the spirit of Gigapress's message. The car loan might be marginally lower due to dramatic cut in Telsa pricing, but overall the purchasing power of the consumer for luxury or premium items has come down due to inflation (and interest rates) and people are more cautious now.

This seems goalpost movey? His literal message was Elon claimed the monthly payment on the Y was about the same after the price cuts due to higher loan rates... and he quotes Elon saying exactly that thing.

That message is factually untrue, and I'd hardly call an ~18% cheaper payment "marginally lower"

See below for discussion on the "broader economy" perspective- which I largely agree with.

Elon might've been referring to this from Sam Korus, I suspect Sam used 2019 prices when MY configurator opened up

See, THAT is a much better explanation.

Mind you, using 2019 #s makes little sense when trying to discuss the idea you had to lower prices to maintain and increase sales, given 2021 and 2022 sales, with HIGHER monthly payments, were all much higher than 2019 sales at the prices nearer todays- but at least it lets us explain Elons claim as simply copying someone elses flawed homework and not understanding how a 5% increase in interest doesn't equal a 25% price cut in terms of the payment.

Overly simplistic analysis.

It's a simplistic claim, it doesn't need complex analysis to disprove.

This depends on the precise time period of comparison, which Tesla did not specify when making those comments.

His words were "remained constant"-- it hasn't though. It went up a fair bit in late 21 and especially 22... then it dropped a bunch throughout 23. That's not constant at all. So over the entire time period it was up and down. As to what time period is relevant my thoughts below:

Comparing the peak price to the current price is the most extreme possible point of comparison.

Sure. But the context was to suggest the car, to a consumer, had never actually gotten cheaper over time. That due to loan rates the big recent price cuts weren't really "cuts" to the customer. The narrative being given was trying to explain the huge price cuts this year as just keeping the net cost to customers in line.

But as the simple analysis shows, that's not so. The monthly is ~18% lower today than it was at the start of this year.

. On an inflation-adjusted basis that means it's cheaper now, but also the supply is higher and we know there's always going to be a long-term trend of increasing affordability as years pass from original early deliveries.

To be fair- SOME of us knew that.

LOTS of others kept insisting Tesla would magically maintain the crazy high margins of past years forever, with EPS projections going up 50-100% a year for the rest of the decade.

The details are obscure regarding exactly how and why Tesla had been managing their pricing strategy, but the price chart does not perfectly correlate with credit market changes over the same time period, which demonstrates that there have been other factors at play.

It doesn't remotely correlate with credit markets. As others noted here the Tesla price on these is quite close today, with expensive credit, as it was in 2019 with cheap credit.

So this again seems to be as someone else suggested Elon saw a tweet claiming net price of the loan was the same today and just repeated it on the call without checking any numbers.

The relative absence of the gas price effect this year may explain part of the remaining decline in demand that can't be explained by tight credit conditions. As @cliff harris stated, the sustained high cost of gas (and I would add diesel, petrochemicals, food and everything else that inflates with higher oil prices) is reducing the amount of loan payment people can afford in the first place.

I agree there's perfectly reasonable macro reasons you might need to adjust price such that your monthly to your custom is significantly lower than it was a year ago-- but that wasn't the argument Elon was making.

Due to vertical integration, Tesla owns their entire global sales and distribution network, along with all of the juicy data that comes with that. Also, the CEO owns one of the largest social media/advertising/consumer sentiment platforms in existence, along with all of the juicy data that comes with that. Tesla employs full-time analysts whose job is understand demand and make forecasts based on this data. They should have the right answers to this question, and I am inclined to believe that company leadership is correct in saying that affordability is the main problem at this point, and it has been severely exacerbated by the credit market and general inflation.

See above, I think that's a TOTALLY reasonable and likely argument. It's just not the one that was given on the call and the one with which I took issue because it ain't factually true.[/QUOTE]

I am not buying it, he is, and probably could not swing a new car purchase. How many miles can he expect to get out of a M3? Thank you for your advice.
There is a chap in Barrie Ontario who picked up his new TM3 (at the International Center near Pearson Airport) two days before I picked mine up on 01 Jun 2018.

Last I saw (about six months ago) he had exceeded 300,000 km.

I’m only at 120,000 km and the original 499 km at 100% SOC back in June 2018 is still showing 478 km at 100% SOC (and still accepting a charge):

IMG_1592.jpeg

As always, YMMV

Attachments

• IMG_3549.jpeg
    IMG_3549.jpeg
    339.6 KB · Views: 10
There is a chap in Barrie Ontario who picked up his new TM3 (at the International Center near Pearson Airport) two days before I picked mine up on 01 Jun 2018.

Last I saw (about six months ago) he had exceeded 300,000 km.

I’m only at 120,000 km and the original 499 km at 100% SOC back in June 2018 is still showing 478 km at 100% SOC (and still accepting a charge):

View attachment 985973

As always, YMMV
Thank you, very helpful!

Reactions: navguy12
This seems goalpost movey? His literal message was Elon claimed the monthly payment on the Y was about the same after the price cuts due to higher loan rates... and he quotes Elon saying exactly that thing.

That message is factually untrue, and I'd hardly call an ~18% cheaper payment "marginally lower"

See below for discussion on the "broader economy" perspective- which I largely agree with.

See, THAT is a much better explanation.

Mind you, using 2019 #s makes little sense when trying to discuss the idea you had to lower prices to maintain and increase sales, given 2021 and 2022 sales, with HIGHER monthly payments, were all much higher than 2019 sales at the prices nearer todays- but at least it lets us explain Elons claim as simply copying someone elses flawed homework and not understanding how a 5% increase in interest doesn't equal a 25% price cut in terms of the payment.

It's a simplistic claim, it doesn't need complex analysis to disprove.

His words were "remained constant"-- it hasn't though. It went up a fair bit in late 21 and especially 22... then it dropped a bunch throughout 23. That's not constant at all. So over the entire time period it was up and down. As to what time period is relevant my thoughts below:

Sure. But the context was to suggest the car, to a consumer, had never actually gotten cheaper over time. That due to loan rates the big recent price cuts weren't really "cuts" to the customer. The narrative being given was trying to explain the huge price cuts this year as just keeping the net cost to customers in line.

But as the simple analysis shows, that's not so. The monthly is ~18% lower today than it was at the start of this year.

To be fair- SOME of us knew that.

LOTS of others kept insisting Tesla would magically maintain the crazy high margins of past years forever, with EPS projections going up 50-100% a year for the rest of the decade.

It doesn't remotely correlate with credit markets. As others noted here the Tesla price on these is quite close today, with expensive credit, as it was in 2019 with cheap credit.

So this again seems to be as someone else suggested Elon saw a tweet claiming net price of the loan was the same today and just repeated it on the call without checking any numbers.

I agree there's perfectly reasonable macro reasons you might need to adjust price such that your monthly to your custom is significantly lower than it was a year ago-- but that wasn't the argument Elon was making.

See above, I think that's a TOTALLY reasonable and likely argument. It's just not the one that was given on the call and the one with which I took issue because it ain't factually true.
[/QUOTE]
Price cuts below launch price which resulted in a similar payment can be explained by Tesla wanting to keep monthly payment in the same ballpark and this is what is needed to drive half a million units per quarter.

Tesla pricing inflation and deflation beyond launch prices set by the company can be explained by multiple macroeconomic factors we all know about. But if Elon needs to have an explanation about price cut, it is when it goes under initial launch price.

So, as we are at the weekend, any suggestions on what Tesla should do (IF ANYTHING) to address what I'll call both education about EVs and actual animosity (or at least opposition) toward EVs?
My first EV was a Chevy Volt (2012-2015). After that I moved to a Model S. For most of that time, my friends and co-workers were either ambivalent or mildly curious. A few became enthusiastic with test drives or at least impressed! They generally had all the usual questions (i.e. how far does it go on a charge, how do your charge, who fixes it, how long does the battery last, etc.).

Flash forward to today and most folks I run into still have the same basic questions (poke your heads outside the EV bubble), BUT now I also get the "I'll never own one of those cars!" attitude as folks view it as a "government thing" being jammed down their throats (and they aren't interested "regardless of price"...or so they say). I equate it to the "darn foreign cars" mindset of U.S. buyers decades ago.
Sure, the best thing Tesla can do is "keep making a compelling product" (indeed they HAVE to do this), but in an age of instant communication and rampant misinformation, should they do more? Heck, is there anything that can be done? The "A" word comes to mind of course, but what else? Even if Tesla can't "convert" those vehemently opposed...what about at least targeting the "ambivalent"?
Of course, MAYBE the Cybertruck will do this...much like the Model 3 and Y have in their respective segments. What I don't think is the answer is simply cutting prices into oblivion...remember, car buying is about "emotion" - it has been for decades. The Model 3 really triggered the "new car fever"...will anything else?

Last edited: