Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
When I first found out about the "range extender", I figured that the sub-trunk space you are talking about is where it would be installed. Then we found out it takes up 1/3 of the bed space in the back of the bed.

There must be something about that storage location that makes adding batteries problematic. My guess is that it has something to do with adding a lot of extra weight to that part of the vehicle. Adding batteries to the back of the bed probably doesn't mess with the center of gravity much. Maybe that's the reason?

The closer the weight is to the centre of the vehicle, the better. The storage is way aft of the centre.

However, lower is also gooder... and that under-the-bed compartment is lower.

I'd guess it's just not big enough for the capacity they were targeting.

Has anybody seen where the extender connects into the truck?

Reactions: hobbes
I think it would be great if the range extender can be plugged into home power walls so that it can be used with the Virtual Power Plant program. Benefits the grid and helps defray the cost of the range extender which won't be used often. Whenever you do need it installed have the mobile service techs have the ability to do it. Book an appt to have it installed and if you need a quick appt within 24 hrs upcharge for the convenience.

I'd even gladly rent out my range extender if anyone needed it while I don't. Lots of use cases and opportunity with this versatile product.

Honestly, that 2024 delivery seems odd as to how it could be interpreted. I know that reservation holders will be taking delivery throughout 2024, and probably 2025 and 2026 as well.

Do the math based upon 1,000,000 reservations, conservatively, as reservation estimates are double that.
Even if 50% cancelled it leaves 500K taking delivery (and this is still very, very conservative).
If they somehow hit 100-150K production in 2024, (very optimistic and highly unlikely), and 250K production by the end of 2025,that would still not deliver enough to begin filling new orders made since deliveries began yesterday.

2027 could be an optimistic delivery date for anyone placing an order today.

As @madodel indicated, the production line is fully installed and appeared to be operational. It stretches from column 47 to column 84, that is, from behind the main entrance to the South wall of the existing building. It is close to a 1/4 mile long, with robots whirring about to our amusement, and parallel support lines for staging parts and pre-assembly of various components.

It is only a matter of whatever amount of time it takes to ramp up while working out the bugs to fine-tune the line toward rated capacity.
Option: Start deliveries primarily near Fremont and Austin for quick engineering support and minimal shipping costs. Slowly expand to well serviced areas. Then country wide.

I do like that the range extender need not complicate the manufacture of the CT. They don't even need to be made in the same factory or delivered with the vehicle. Fewer factory options is better for high volume production.
Plus extender as factory installed option pushes MSRP of dual over the $80k IRA limit...

Personally-I doubt that. It's a huge cost adder to a trailer that may only be towed a few times a year. You also have the issue of driving dynamics when the trailer is pushing you with it's own motor to contend with. But who knows-maybe battery tech will evolve to the point that this isn't cost prohibitive fairly shortly.

These concerns seem easily addressed.

• The trailer (or its removable battery on a wheeled pod) could be used as backup power for the home when not on the road.
  • Driving dynamics could be dealt with via Bluetooth or similar communication between tow vehicle and trailer.

Reactions: madodel
As long as we’re dreaming, how about a rack in the front of the bed that could take smaller, more easily handled battery modules. Plug-and-play with maybe each module supporting 15-20 miles of range. Just take as much extra battery as you might need for any given trip.
Where can I plug in all my M12 or EGO batteries?

However, lower is also gooder... and that under-the-bed compartment is lower.
Agreed, but the vertical distance in the bed (from the current centre of gravity) is much smaller than the horizontal distance from the centre of the vehicle if the pack was in the under-the-bed compartment. (I'm thinking about ice days).

Last edited:
Option: Start deliveries primarily near Fremont and Austin for quick engineering support and minimal shipping costs. Slowly expand to well serviced areas. Then country wide.
Well, sure, that is logical and a good strategy from a manufacturer's point of view.

But, this wouldn't change anything about delivery times, other than giving reservation-holders in those locations preference over others who may have placed an earlier reservation.

The staggering number of reservation holders will take every delivery offered for a few years, at least. In fact, I'm counting on it, as I don't want to take delivery on my reservation for at least a year or two and allow time for the chairs to become more valuable.

Some good news not related to the CT. US processing plant for nickel ore will get $115 million in federal funds to get it up and running is finalized.

Tesla-linked North Dakota nickel ore processing plant reaches deal over federal money
One of the reasons I latched onto this company a few years ago was reading this on their site (I've highlighted in yellow). I thought this was great to see and another notch taken off the excuse thread of "but mining for EV materials"...

1701462957091.png

Someone posted this graphic from MKBHD review. Interesting MKBHD says that Road noise is higher than other Teslas, whereas Musk said it will be most quietest Tesla due to the armored glass. I trust MKBHD.

View attachment 995472
Marques half-heartedly mentioned that the back window does not go down. This will be a real negative. A BIG negative if you planned to camp IN it. And a large percentage did.
THERE IS NO OVERNIGHT OR GLAMPING CONSIDERATION IN THE DESIGN. PERIOD. Every other Tesla is better for road trip camping than the cyber(Nota)truck. The tent option is pure HS. $3K for an unsecured awkward tent?... You might as well just get a great tent for less than $500. But you can do that kind of camping with any electric vehicle that has a 120 outlet.
Four years ago I signed up for a cyber NOTA truck because I envisioned it being a step forward into the Tesla camping aspect. It 's bed is called a damn BED!
And since the minimal amount of through space was expected to be a window that went down some of us were hoping for a brushed stainless camper shell to make the Cyber "livable." But at least the bed was going to get some AC. Now you can't even have your dogs in the bed with the window down. Not cool (pun intended)
Yes you could sleep on the back floorboard if you aren't 6ft. I am over 6ft.
And 2 people can't sleep on the floorboard.

After the Carmudgeon video I was psyched to get mine.
I never thought they would make the bed unliveable. They engineered/designed the bed to the least it can possibly be...a closet.
Love the electric improvements, love the steering. I WILL BE ABLE TO GET ALL OF THOSE IN THE NEXT Y. The BED was the big thing that the design and engineering teams had that was new.... and they put a dumb ss sliding tonneau cover on it. That looks stupid as well.and that tonneau cover delivers less and cost a boatload.
Now all the TSLA fanbois can give me a thumbs down for giving some REAL insight into the shortcoming of the cyber NOTA. You're blinded buy the fear of your stock dropping. If I had money in TSLA I'd be sad too.
A LOT of good things...but nothing that makes the cyber(NOTA)truck camp able except the clearance.