Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Surprisingly detailed video from Sandy Munro. Sort of a pre-teardown with the Tesla engineers standing there to explain everything... wow!

Having now watched this video and the two Jason Cammisa videos, I am so impressed with the engineering that went into Cybertruck. Incredible work that the Tesla team should be very proud of. It's unfortunate that the engineering accomplishments have been overshadowed to an extent by people fixating on the look of the truck and the Elon noise; I hope the engineers get the respect they deserve from the broader public in due time.

Bravo.

Just saw that Gary Black posted this about the new Netflix Post-Apocalyptic Thriller: "Leave the World Behind" and yes, the trailer prominently features Tesla in this trailer. And, sure any publicity is good publicity is what I keep hearing, but this shows Tesla cars on FSD smashing into each other.

Executive Producer: Dan O'Dowd
(not really)

Excuse my French but WTF wit de SP? Is it the new Netflix movie?

All large cap tech took a hit today. Wall street has its moods.

Screenshot 2023-12-11 at 4.26.25 PM.jpg

This bodes well for Tesla. I suspect the government funded EV chargers installed will suffer the same exact fate that the EA chargers suffered: non-functional overly priced equipment that is poorly maintained and obsolete the day it is installed. The program could even be gutted before it has a chance to roll out if it becomes (or becomes even more) of a political football.

RT
And here it is, apparently still working! I should have also speculated that it will be very expensive, which it is at $0.59 kWh. There better not be any Tesla chargers close by. Actually there is, just East on I-70 at Hilliard Home Rd, don't know what the pricing is there though. The CCS cars will be captive audiences until the Superchargers are available sometime in 2024, then Mr. Market rears his ugly head. :cool:

RT

Believe it or not, but the Executive Producers were Michelle and Barack Obama.
Not sure if the exec producers meant anything. Anyone even the worse of shorts/bears know the story would be only believable if its a Tesla. No other company comes close to this type of FSD scenario. Simply stated Tesla leads the push for FSD tech.

Gary Black
@garyblack00

Post-apocalyptic thriller Leave the World Behind shoots to #1 on Netflix – and $TSLA is featured prominently. https://independent.co.uk/arts-entertainment/films/news/leave-the-world-behind-netflix-b2461618.html

Just saw that Gary Black posted this about the new Netflix Post-Apocalyptic Thriller: "Leave the World Behind" and yes, the trailer prominently features Tesla in this trailer. And, sure any publicity is good publicity is what I keep hearing, but this shows Tesla cars on FSD smashing into each other. I guess I will have to see how this turns into a positive for Tesla. You would think on FSD, the Tesla would recognize what is in front and slam on the brakes.
My wife and I watched the movie. Not very good or realistic in my opinion. Just trying to make some distant connection to a far off enemy attacking with mainly cyber warfare. By the time it was over the Tesla scene was just one of many unconnected events. I don't think the scene will effect peoples impression of Tesla, other than it is the only car out there that has the possibility of driving itself. I mostly forgot Tesla was part of the movie by the time it was over.

My wife and I watched the movie. Not very good or realistic in my opinion. Just trying to make some distant connection to a far off enemy attacking with mainly cyber warfare. By the time it was over the Tesla scene was just one of many unconnected events. I don't think the scene will effect peoples impression of Tesla, other than it is the only car out there that has the possibility of driving itself. I mostly forgot Tesla was part of the movie by the time it was over.
Yep... my view of oil barges hasn't changed ;-)

However I do wonder if there were hidden messages in the last episode of "Friends"...

This bodes well for Tesla. I suspect the government funded EV chargers installed will suffer the same exact fate that the EA chargers suffered: non-functional overly priced equipment that is poorly maintained and obsolete the day it is installed. The program could even be gutted before it has a chance to roll out if it becomes (or becomes even more) of a political football.

RT
If they're non-functional, the network will be fined. NEVI includes an uptime requirement of greater than 97%. Sadly, CARB didn't demand that EA's Stage 4 also have an uptime requirement. They accepted EA's increasingly verbose handwaving.

Tesla doesn't have qualifying chargers yet, since they don't have 1000V chargers yet, so I don't know when they'll be able deliver full V4 for the NEVI locations.

The final rules for NEVI were set 2/28/2023, so there really hasn't been much time.
Maine awarded NEVI Phase 1 in August 2023 and expect installations within a year of the contract award.
Several states have awarded locations, including Maine, Pennsylvania, Ohio and Utah.
So, there _should_ be some installations this year.

• Informative
Reactions: madodel and MP3Mike
It would be interesting if they could come up with some method of wrapping panels before they're attached to the car, with an automated process, and if so would the total cost of wrapped steel panels (including more complicated handling before install) be cheaper than paint?

Might or might not include cyber exoskeleton style panels or more regular (thinner) panels, but probably would need to be similar to cyber looks in having minimal curves and few bends (with bends more or less parallel).

I remember an article (or tweet, I don’t remember) stating that fleet buyers got an offer to order a 600+km Model 3 months before Highland became officially available. That may have been the start of the decrease.

I remember they offered a RWD Model 3 LR especially for fleet customers, maybe that´s what you´re remembering? Must have had a real good range, but not sure if it was over 600km. Was not a Highland though..

Monday's announcement mentions the Model 3 with large battery and rear-wheel drive (LR RWD), which is specifically designed for business fleets, as one of the "ideal fleet vehicles for all requirements." In fact, Tesla introduced this version, which was only available in the USA at the very beginning, in Europe this April, and, like its own innovation bonus, initially only for B2B customers.

Reactions: NicoV
I remember they offered a RWD Model 3 LR especially for fleet customers, maybe that´s what you´re remembering? Must have had a real good range, but not sure if it was over 600km. Was not a Highland though..

Yes, that’s it (I googled but couldn’t find it).
Highland or not, it must have been attractive (more than the Y) to a certain group buyers afraid of not having enough range, like people living in an appartement with only limited options to charge.

Having now watched this video and the two Jason Cammisa videos, I am so impressed with the engineering that went into Cybertruck. Incredible work that the Tesla team should be very proud of. It's unfortunate that the engineering accomplishments have been overshadowed to an extent by people fixating on the look of the truck and the Elon noise; I hope the engineers get the respect they deserve from the broader public in due time.

Bravo.

Just to build on this, for folks that don't have the time to watch, these were the highlights to me from the newest Sandy Munro video that I hadn't heard elsewhere yet:

1) They succeeded in reducing the front-casting machine size from 9000 tons to 6500 tons.
2) They engineered a solution to make jump-starting the Cybertruck backwards-compatible with 12V jump systems.
3) The higher bandwidth of the CAN system will allow for better performance of the active noise-cancellation system, among other benefits.
4) Tesla makes their casting dies in-house, and enjoys benefits from close coordination between vehicle engineers and die-makers (this enabled the reduction in casting machine size for the front casting, and allows them to make Cybertruck front casts on Model Y casting machines).
5) The regenerative braking system will utilize towing mass to improve range / reduce brake wear.
6) They mounted one of the controllers on the firewall in a way that it spans the wet and dry side of the firewall, reducing the need for drilling through the firewall.
7) Discussion of the major improvements to the power control system that enable bi-directional charging.
8) The steer by wire motors operate at ~50% power capacity which enables redundancy should one motor go out for some reason.
9) The HEPA filter is designed for easy removal by hand as a simple plug-and-play.

It would be interesting if they could come up with some method of wrapping panels before they're attached to the car, with an automated process, and if so would the total cost of wrapped steel panels (including more complicated handling before install) be cheaper than paint?

Might or might not include cyber exoskeleton style panels or more regular (thinner) panels, but probably would need to be similar to cyber looks in having minimal curves and few bends (with bends more or less parallel).
Kinda like a mid-80's Celica?

Screenshot_20231211-145204.png

Screenshot_20231211-145330.png

BTW, they weren't bad cars, my ex had 3 different convertibles of the this and the two later body styles...