Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
1702336434934.png

The competition has come and scaled back its 'ambitious production goals'. How long until the EV leader Mary Barra and her crew retract, oh wait....they are releasing 70 new models by 2025 🥴 🥴 🥴 🥴

If they're non-functional, the network will be fined. NEVI includes an uptime requirement of greater than 97%. Sadly, CARB didn't demand that EA's Stage 4 also have an uptime requirement. They accepted EA's increasingly verbose handwaving.

Tesla doesn't have qualifying chargers yet, since they don't have 1000V chargers yet, so I don't know when they'll be able deliver full V4 for the NEVI locations.

The final rules for NEVI were set 2/28/2023, so there really hasn't been much time.
Maine awarded NEVI Phase 1 in August 2023 and expect installations within a year of the contract award.
Several states have awarded locations, including Maine, Pennsylvania, Ohio and Utah.
So, there _should_ be some installations this year.
Personally I think they have made this far too complicated. The reported uptime will always be more than the real uptime. This will always be gamed. How they going to know when someone blocks the charger, it's blocked by snow or the connector is broken.

Here one study where they report 95% uptime but the reality is 77%.

A University of California, Berkley study of EV chargers in California found that they are unusable more often than advertised. Fast charger companies say that they have over 95 percent uptime. The study showed the number to be around 77 percent.

A simple per Kwh subsidy with a higher amount for rural areas. Let the charging companies figure out how to deliver the most Kwh. Chargers that are down for whatever reason are not delivering Kwh.

Having now watched this video and the two Jason Cammisa videos, I am so impressed with the engineering that went into Cybertruck. Incredible work that the Tesla team should be very proud of. It's unfortunate that the engineering accomplishments have been overshadowed to an extent by people fixating on the look of the truck and the Elon noise; I hope the engineers get the respect they deserve from the broader public in due time.

Bravo.
“Cybertruck is intentionally an insane technology bandwagon” was not exaggeration

Having now watched this video and the two Jason Cammisa videos, I am so impressed with the engineering that went into Cybertruck. Incredible work that the Tesla team should be very proud of. It's unfortunate that the engineering accomplishments have been overshadowed to an extent by people fixating on the look of the truck and the Elon noise; I hope the engineers get the respect they deserve from the broader public in due time.

Bravo.
Further, Tesla in these videos has been exceptionally forthcoming. I'm amazed that they would discuss some of this information so openly. They must believe that being open will ultimately be of benefit to them.

3) The higher bandwidth of the CAN system will allow for better performance of the active noise-cancellation system, among other benefits.
The Gigabit Etherloop's low latency allows using on-network speakers and microphones instead of direct wired ones, but it doesn't make the performance better.

6) They mounted one of the controllers on the firewall in a way that it spans the wet and dry side of the firewall, reducing the need for drilling through the firewall

The module eliminates the pass though grommet of a normal wire harness. The firewall still has a hole either way. (They may do this on the other side of the vehicle also)

8) The steer by wire motors operate at ~50% power capacity which enables redundancy should one motor go out for some reason.
The motors are sized for 50%-60% the max load each. It is plenty for highway or while in motion, but lacking if stopped in a parking lot.

Further, Tesla in these videos has been exceptionally forthcoming. I'm amazed that they would discuss some of this information so openly. They must believe that being open will ultimately be of benefit to them.
It will be of some benefit. A lot of customers will want the most technologically advanced they can get.

Cybertruck will be the most torn-down-and-analyzed vehicle ever built. Even if Tesla cared about keeping secrets, nothing would be a secret for long.

Tesla knows they are far ahead and they are proud of what they have accomplished. Might as well let everyone see what they've been doing for the last four years.

It’s a way to say, down the road, when the world belongs to them that ‘we told you, we openly shared, and you all chose to do nothing’.

Well said, just a small clarification, Cybertruck isn't using CAN, it is using a network with gigabit speeds similar to ethernet.

One of Tesla's engineers in the Munro video did use the term CAN in reference to one or more busses that communicate on the gigabit network. Maybe it was used as a generic term, but it was someone on the team saying it.

• Informative
Reactions: Artful Dodger
One of Tesla's engineers in the Munro video did use the term CAN in reference to one or more busses that communicate on the gigabit network. Maybe it was used as a generic term, but it was someone on the team saying it.
I understood that quote to mean that the 100 Gb bus was used as a backbone, and so in some areas of the vehicle, that backbone connected to one or more traditional CAN buses, likely (unstated) via a special-purpose gateway. I work in industrial communications, and this sort of topology is quite common, and gives the advantage of not needing to have 100% of the equipment be brought up to your shiny new communications standard; some of the older CAN components just be used "as is" behind the gateway.
Some equipment also likely talks directly to the 100 Gb ring; your high bandwidth stuff, in addition to any gateways.

Month on month and year on year price changes for US automotive sales by brand:

View attachment 998551
US auto market sales grew year on year in November, but average vehicle price overall was down 1.5%.

I guess higher interest rates haven’t really impacted most automakers in the same way they impacted Tesla apparently.

US auto market sales grew year on year in November, but average vehicle price overall was down 1.5%.

I guess higher interest rates haven’t really impacted most automakers in the same way they impacted Tesla apparently.
I keep seeing videos how dealers are having a hard time with sales and repos.

Also legacy counts sales to dealers.

It just seems like legacy has a delayed reaction compared to Tesla real time.