Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Rebalancing issues this week? h/t @Papafox for the link. Note also that the largest S&P 500 index rebalance of the year is also on Fri, Dec 15 (typically at the Close)

GBFbbelWcAAIAUe

Last edited:
The concept of utilizing gravity for laden trucks descending / unladen ones ascending is tantalizing but not, alas, apposite in this case. Altiplanar lithium deposits are in or of salars and there is no engineering case of which I know or can envision whereby it is more appealing to process them at sea level than in situ.

If we were discussing iron or copper ores or even concentrate - then I couldn’t possibly agree more, and I can see where this gravity regen advantage could pencil out to lucratively justify some Andean railroads that heretofore have been prohibitive, rather than trucks using those truly nailbiting sarcophagi misnamed as “highways”.
On that topic, Australian iron miner Fortescue is doing just this from the Pilbara to the sea, under elevation drops massively smaller than those of the Andes.
Here is a 2019 example:
Since then there seem to be others from several manufacturers around the world, even Caterpillar:

The Andes has some clear potential, even the Atacama, where Chile is anxious to deploy less destructive lithium extraction techniques:

These developments and others are part of the reason why Tesla has built a lithium refinery. Bluntly, the established mining companies, including Albemarle and Vale, have sometimes given lip service to environmental issues. In reality they leave gigantic toxic waste almost everywhere. There are too many exaples to show, just as there are for every fossil fuel.

So, Tesla is trying hard to improve every part of the supply chain. We discuss that aspect normally only when reviewing Tesla’s annual environmental report. Just as with those electric mining trucks and Tesla’s lithium refining, it takes enormous resolve to change the status quo. Notably, this subject almost never has investor attention. Why not? They cannot even imagine eliminating rare earths from an electric motor, nor the manufacturing changes that reduce water use and recycle waste.

As we discuss everything from Elon’s quirkiness to windshield wiper satisfaction we’re at risk of ignoring the mission of Tesla. Those materials advances, raw material sourcing and manufacturing advances are the core components of delivering on the mission.

Might we be wise to think about the mission rather than personal peccadillos and quirkiness?

I understood that quote to mean that the 100 Gb bus was used as a backbone, and so in some areas of the vehicle, that backbone connected to one or more traditional CAN buses, likely (unstated) via a special-purpose gateway. I work in industrial communications, and this sort of topology is quite common, and gives the advantage of not needing to have 100% of the equipment be brought up to your shiny new communications standard; some of the older CAN components just be used "as is" behind the gateway.
Some equipment also likely talks directly to the 100 Gb ring; your high bandwidth stuff, in addition to any gateways.
The older system has seperate CAN-busses. This could be for having motion data (position/angle sensors, motor speeds from the inverters) seperated from the service data to avoid having the bus overloaded because one node is flooding the bus with pakkets.

The newer is an all-ethernet based fieldbus with deterministic properties at a much higher bandwith without the need for a seperate CAN/Ethernet gateway (think of it like Powerlink Ethernet or Ethernet/IP from AB) lowering latency and speeds. Tesla designs most of the controllers/inverters/electronics inhouse for this platform, so I expect them to avoid the legacy CAN interface entirely on the controllers/board and have direct Ethernet communcation based links between every node (actuators, invertors, screens, controllers, sensors, ....)

This article is a little disappointing:

I'm not so disappointed that Tesla had some internal data security problems. Every company has those.

I'm more disappointed to hear that Tesla is using Jira. I always thought that Tesla used its own home-grown software for these purposes or at least used open source. Jira is neither.

It’s a way to say, down the road, when the world belongs to them that ‘we told you, we openly shared, and you all chose to do nothing’.
A bit of Googling showed VW is still in the denier camp on NACS, even though EA said they will include NACS. I wonder if VW has a thought-through strategy on charging availability. They spent money to build the TN plant that's now manufacturing EV's. Without good charging availability, they're not following through on the investment.

A bit of Googling showed VW is still in the denier camp on NACS, even though EA said they will include NACS. I wonder if VW has a thought-through strategy on charging availability. They spent money to build the TN plant that's now manufacturing EV's. Without good charging availability, they're not following through on the investment.
By rejecting Diess, VW has said they don't intend to be part of the EV space and to obstruct EVs as much as possible, so this isn't surprising. Anyone inside of VW who supports NACS is not likely to have long term employment.

The older system has seperate CAN-busses. This could be for having motion data (position/angle sensors, motor speeds from the inverters) seperated from the service data to avoid having the bus overloaded because one node is flooding the bus with pakkets.

The newer is an all-ethernet based fieldbus with deterministic properties at a much higher bandwith without the need for a seperate CAN/Ethernet gateway (think of it like Powerlink Ethernet or Ethernet/IP from AB) lowering latency and speeds. Tesla designs most of the controllers/inverters/electronics inhouse for this platform, so I expect them to avoid the legacy CAN interface entirely on the controllers/board and have direct Ethernet communcation based links between every node (actuators, invertors, screens, controllers, sensors, ....)
Legacy CAN partitioning is due to bandwidth, type (high speed vs low speed, single wire vs fault tolerant), and function (powertrain, body, diagnostic). Due to the arbitration format, high priority messages will always get though (though a broken high priority controller can take the bus down, but the system has already failed at that point)

As I understand it, Etherloop is a ring that routes through the main control nodes, they are not running gigabit to nor through every end node (no star/ spoke topology). It sounds like legacy parts like the inverter don't currently have Ethernet. Sensors, motors, and switches wire back the local main node. Seats likely have local non-Etherloop nodes for switch and motor control with a different bus type to the main node. These bridges still allow all traffic to be seen on the main loop if all CAN traffic is bridged to Loop (only some data flows from Loop to CAN).

News Releases​

CPI for all items rose 0.1% in November; shelter up (12/12/2023)

"In November, the Consumer Price Index for All Urban Consumers increased 0.1 percent, seasonally adjusted (SA), and rose 3.1 percent over the last 12 months, not seasonally adjusted. The index for all items less food and energy increased 0.3 percent in November (SA); up 4.0 percent over the year (NSA)"​

Consumer Price Index Summary - 2023 M11 Results

US auto market sales grew year on year in November, but average vehicle price overall was down 1.5%.

I guess higher interest rates haven’t really impacted most automakers in the same way they impacted Tesla apparently.

Yes, obviously it's just EVs that are struggling to continue their increase in sales, having only increased from 810k last year to over 1 million already through November this year.

If only they weren't made to sell plug-ins...

U.S. vehicle sales fell modestly in November​

• U.S. vehicle sales fell 0.8% month-on-month (m/m) to 15.3 million (annualized) units in November – coming in below consensus expectations for 15.5 million units

Through October 2023

1702388878205.png

November's normally a good month and clearly wasn't.

Reactions: navguy12
Last edited:
CNBC reported:

"Shelter prices, which make up about one-third of the CPI weighting, increased 0.4% on the month and were up 6.5% on a 12-month basis. However, the annual rate has showed a steady decline since peaking in early 2023."​

Ironic when the FED's high interest rate policy is CAUSING the remaining high inflation in over 30% of the U.S. economy.

'Higher, Longer' wot? Jolly Jokers... :p