Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The way it's intended to work is the $7500 tax credit is taken off the net owed to Tesla, as if you'd shown up with $7500 in extra cash, and Tesla gets that from the government.

So the "sales price" is still the same- so the sales tax/registration fees/etc don't consider the $7500. But you'll have to come up with $7500 less money to take the vehicle home.

Based on current proposed rules, if come tax time you didn't actually have enough tax liability to qualify for the whole $7500 the IRS will not claw back the difference.

But if your income (for the present or previous year) doesn't qualify you (ie you made over 150k single or 300k married/jointly) you will have the full $7500 clawed back at tax time.

As to when? Great question. Haven't seen any info on that yet. It SHOULD be available today, but no idea how quickly it'll actually get set up (requires 'dealers' to register with IRS, etc)

That's not the case in 2024 under the proposed IRS rules for the credit going point of sale. With the POS credit you get the $7500 transferred to the dealer at purchase time-- and at tax time If your tax obligation is less than $7500 the IRS doesn't care and won't ask for any money back.

They will only care if your income is above the 150k/300k limit, and if so you owe the full $7500 back.

Ok, I guess I can see that-- but given inventory was what like 17 days at last report (and probably lower specifically on the RWD and LR AWD since people knew the tax credit was going away in Dec and would've pulled sales forward- a recent thread reported 0 inventory in NY a few days ago for example) I don't know how that does much to help with pricing gap? Tesla will be out of LR and RWD 3s in about 2 weeks or less.

Right now net of tax credit the Performance 3 is $43,490… the LR is $45,990, and the RWD is $38,990 (and get no tax credit as of today).

Highland pricing seems to be around 2-4k more than outgoing model (based on pricing bump in other countries anyway).

So lets say they bump the P to $47,490 net of credit (4k increase)… that’s still only $1500 more than the LR---less than buying acceleration boost for the LR costs... does anyone buy the LR at that point? And you’re also in a position you CAN NOT bump the price on the LR the same 4k when you refresh it- you can’t bump it at all… Maybe they go back to just not selling it as they did for a good while?

In which case you’re left with the RWD at $38,990…. And you probably need to CUT the price significantly here given people last week were getting inventory pre-refresh ones for around 28k?
[/QUOTE]
Thank you, this helps. I guess we just wait to hear from Tesla that they have filed with the IRS then?

Dan

Taiwan's December sales numbers are out:

1.Toyota Corolla Cross,3587
2.Honda CR-V,2133
3.Toyota RAV4,2092
4.Toyota Townace,1723
5.Toyota Altis,1519
6.Toyota Yaris Cross,1509
7.MG HS,1160
8.Tesla Model Y,1054
9.Mitsubishi Veryca,853
10.Ford Focus,762
11.Toyota Vios,758
12.Nissan Kicks,745
13.Honda HR-V,732
14.Lexus NX,732
15.Volvo XC40,661
16.VW Tiguan,621
17.M.Benz GLC,617
18.Honda Fit,554
19.Tesla Model X,544
20.Mazda CX-5,543
20.CMC Zinger,543

Source: 台灣 12 月新車銷售破 4.3 萬輛!8 款車賣破千輛 - 自由電子報汽車頻道

I assume they made a mistake. Selling 544 Model X in one month in Taiwan sounds very unlikely (Tesla sells less than 10,000 worldwide during a quarter). 544 Model 3 is much more likely.

I'm not a BYD shill, but I have to admit they seem to be doing well. They make their own batteries AND sell some to Tesla. Tesla talks a lot about battery manufacture, but are still buying a lot in from CATL, LG and Panasonic, and of course BYD. I suspect the Chinese govt wants BYD to be its version of Tesla.
The investor in me is hoping that when all of the issues involving speeding up 4680 production are finally solved, Tesla has the room at Texas to build out a massive factory for in house production, and of course the lithium refinery is in the future too...

However, if BYD continues to do well, and makes a decent inroad into Europe, to spread its risk, then at some point I may consider diversifying a bit more and grabbing some BYD stock. I already have some badly performing XPeng and Nio...

Of course FSD12 could absolutely reverse all this. Not in terms of unit sales, but profit margins. Much better FSD could hugely ramp the FSD take rate and shoot Teslas margins up dramatically.

I think it will qualify for the dual motor. As I recall, none of the foundation series "extras" come physically attached to the car. So they don't count toward the base purchase price under IRA rules.
No. It doesn't qualify. It has wheel and interior color upgrades installed at the factory.

Currently no CTs do, but once the AWD, non-Foundation goes on sale, it will with no options.

I don't think @hooty is here just to promote BYD, but the Seagull at $13,500 for the premium edition is pretty damn affordable for the masses. The various YouTube reviews have all loved it. Basic, but much rather have people in the seats of these little non-polluters than ICE or hybrid.

All of which means that Tesla must be on the cusp of the Gen 3 announcement as a viable Tesla competitor has emerged! Will be an interesting 2024 dogs and cats!
Many BYD posts focus on competition with TSLA. That is true to a limited extent. However much of the BYD expansion is in products and markets that are of vestigial interest to TSLA or no interest at all. BYD, and some other Chinese ones like JAC and Chery go to markets Tesla does not consider, such as rural parts of China, countries like Brazil and South Africa and, unlike Tesla, often beginning market entry with CKD and/or municipal fleets plus immediately building factories for something before a market seems mature enough to support them. Chery began building cars in Brazil before anybody knew them. Quite a few asked me, “who the hell is Chery”. Of course, unlike Tesla all of the Chinese begin with local partners of one kind or another and most have local suppliers and distributors well before actual market entry.
These are closely analogous to Japanese in 1950‘s and 1960’s, Koreans in 1980’s.

TSLA has both a totally different business model and vastly more integrated approach to logistics, supply chain, engineering and finance.
Obviously analysts go ballistic over unit car sales, where BYD, SAIC etc will often outsell Tesla. In specific categories and product lines.
Almost all of us nominally sign on to the Tesla Mission. If we’re serious we will applaud new successful entrants. Their success does not detract from TSLA, except from myopic views. After all Tesla uses BYD batteries.

We can go on with CATL and numerous others. It is Good to know, but not threats to Tesla. FWIW a local BYD dealer claims the only thing needed to suddenly accelerate EV adoption rates in Brazil is for Tesla to come. He knows the Tesla business will not directly benefit him.
It is ever thus!

So far ...not a nice start for 2024 :eek:

Yeah, 2023 didn't start 'nice' either (but that turned out to be a head-fake) :p

sc.TSLA.50-DayChart.2023-03-17.22-00.png

Other manufacturers flip flop with their guidance but Tesla have been steadfast. So here's hoping.

And this is exactly why the short-faced bares have created the false flag of "margins", all the while ignoring that Tesla is making more total profit even while investing heavily in growth. They own the Fin Media spin cycle.

I think it will qualify for the dual motor. As I recall, none of the foundation series "extras" come physically attached to the car. So they don't count toward the base purchase price under IRA rules.
Things hard mounted:
White interior
All terrain tires
Badging

Things delivery could theoretically add:
Floor mats
Storage organizer
Center console tray
D-rings
Hooks
Bottle opener
UWC
UMC

However, the option package comes as a unit from the factory, so I don't see how any of it could get unbundled anyway.

I thought that the EV tax credit towards taxes owed (as you point out) was being replaced with a point of sale discount that could be realized immediately. Am I way off on that?

Dan
You are correct

You are correct. The law changed Jan 1, 2024.
Minor clarification: It's the same law, but it has date based changes. (Congress didn't muck with it to drop 3 RWD and 3 LR)

you can now get the 7500 even if you have no tax liability.. it's a big deal change

True, for completeness: the income limits are still in place (one can qualify based on 2023 or 2024).

No. It doesn't qualify. It has wheel and interior color upgrades installed at the factory.

Currently no CTs do, but once the AWD, non-Foundation goes on sale, it will with no options.
Yeah, I forgot about those. Perhaps Tesla can include them in the 80K? But probably not.

Maybe that's why Cybertruck doesn't show up on the IRS site yet. They haven't started selling the non-foundation versions so Tesla hasn't bothered to submit the paperwork.

Yeah, I forgot about those. Perhaps Tesla can include them in the 80K? But probably not.

Maybe that's why Cybertruck doesn't show up on the IRS site yet. They haven't started selling the non-foundation versions so Tesla hasn't bothered to submit the paperwork.
No.

Tesla or the IRS removed the AWD CT. It was previously listed. It's not for sale currently, so it doesn't matter why it was removed. It says on tesla.com that it will likely qualify later in 2024.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240101-155301.png
    Screenshot_20240101-155301.png
    39.7 KB · Views: 11