Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I think this experiment was so that Tesla owners could rent a car familiar to them. There is a learning curve to operating a Tesla, especially now they do not have stalks. I would love to know what their surveys say about Tesla rentals. I blame Hertz for this too, there was not a lot of info on how to pay for charging. Not surprised Hertz is reducing the Tesla fleet. I think the repair issue (yeah, I could see renters driving off and realizing "where is the side mirrors switch?.......BANG!) is just an excuse.
I think the thing that hamstrung the Hertz EV strategy most was Tesla's price cuts. This lowered resale value of used EVs and really put the hurt on profitability of the Hertz EV fleet.

Hertz is just reacting to shareholder pressure to "do something".

As time goes on, customers will get more comfortable with renting an EV, demand for EV rentals will rise, and resale values will stabilize. Long term, it will be more profitable to rent out EVs. Hertz knows this, which is why they are not reducing their EV fleet even more.

Setting up buy orders starting at $224 am I being greedy?
You took to long for my impatience. A sale is a sale for 25 TSLAs
!
1704989442460.png

My son should be getting his IRA rollover today... good timing it appears.

Also, this Hertz news could be due to them not explaining the car use to customers - would love to know if the renters are slamming cars in parking lots. Tesla has done a few things (audio/visual), but there is no training coming from Hertz - experienced in Tampa Fla, summer 2023.

(BTW - Training impact L4 business level data is the most difficult data on earth to isolate, and it is why people have trouble funding it. Tesla and I do not agree on strategy here and the tutorials are surface level info only.)

I think the thing that hamstrung the Hertz EV strategy most was Tesla's price cuts. This lowered resale value of used EVs and really put the hurt on profitability of the Hertz EV fleet.

As time goes on, customers will get more comfortable with renting an EV, demand for EV rentals will rise, and resale values will stabilize. Long term, it will be more profitable to rent out EVs. Hertz knows this, which is why they are not reducing their EV fleet even more.
The same can be said of Hertz ICE fleet bought during COVID at full MSRP. Hertz is loosing money on those too. The difference is at present, IMO Hertz has Hyundai/Kia and Nissan contracts ready to take on surplus Rouges, Altimas, Tuscons, Sportages, etc. at fire sale prices. Now that inventory is returning to dealerships. The reason Hertz are buying "ICE" vehicles as replacements.

The telling part is that none of the larger players, Enterprise and Avis Group did not follow suit and order their own fleet of Teslas .

• Helpful
Reactions: JusRelax and rsm287
Good news for Tesla workers.

Tesla to raise pay for US factory workers - Bloomberg News​

(Reuters) -Tesla has told production workers in the United States that they will get a pay hike, Bloomberg News reported on Thursday.

Many automakers including Volkswagen and Toyota have raised wages for their non-unionized U.S. workers as the United Auto Workers (UAW) union looked to organize them after signing new labor deals with the Detroit Three.

Material handlers, production associates and quality inspectors are getting a "market adjustment pay increase", the report, which cited a flyer posted on Tesla's facility in Fremont, California, said, adding the electric automaker did not specify the magnitude of the hike.

The world's most valuable automaker, whose shares fell about 2% in early trading, did not immediately respond to a Reuters request for comment.

CEO Elon Musk has been vocal against the concept of unions and critical of Detroit-based UAW.

"I disagree with the idea of unions," he said in November at the New York Times DealBook Summit. "If Tesla is unionized, it'll be because we deserve it and we failed in some way."

Musk previously opposed an effort by the UAW to organize Tesla's Fremont factory. He posted a tweet in 2018 warning that workers could lose stock options if they joined the union, an action the National Labor Relations Board later ruled illegal.

You mean this is accurate?
1704991098740.png

🥴 🥴 🥴 🥴 🥴

Reactions: Musskiah
Cybertruck charging curve is currently bad, but the competition is on the same ballpark

Two options from this:

1 - Tesla needs more data to improve the charging curve, so the initial charging curve is just enough to be similar to competitors offerings

2 - Tesla release a minimum viable product in respect to the battery pack and cells such as it performs similar to competitors, and it won't improve in a OTA in the future

1704991212600.png

You mean this is accurate? View attachment 1007950

🥴 🥴 🥴 🥴 🥴
Ya wanna know who else missed the price timing? AllState Insurance sat on my wrecked Model Y claim for nearly a year, then decided to pay it off in full (current retail value) at the peak price. With FSD and extras, it was about $85K as I recall, and prior to the price adjustments. I banked money on that wreck, cash!

Point being, nobody saw those price drops coming, so nothing changes with Hertz. In it for the same reasons as before, and sticking with EVs (Tesla) as their CEO explained.

I wonder, when things up like that, is each casting date and time stamped, and how careful they are to FIFO everything?
Oh, I think they're just trying to get a head start on some sort of CyberRamp. I bet these get used in a week or so.

They better be identical by now, but may have a split process in there somewhere. Molds typically have the insert for life-cyling the mold itself, but unless they lasermark these (easy) they're likely all the same - just working through the piles.

I suspect casting is the capital equipment bottleneck short-term, enough so to need inventory like what we see. Very encouraging sign. More casting equipment please!

I got to LAX a few days ago and Hertz did not have my Tesla ready. Said that it would take 30mins… which I didn’t have so they offered me a polestar or a Chevy bolt (they had tons of those sitting in the lot).

I ended up with a gas car as I don’t know where to charge these other EVs.

Again, demand seems to be there for teslas but not other EVs.

First hand experience with five rentals over the past year:

1.) Turo rental on the Big Island in Hawaii - generally went well. The guy I rented from was great, and enjoyed seeing photos I showed him of Tesla road tripping on the mainland. But no Superchargers on the island. There are a few CCS/CHAdeMOs, but his car was just old enough that it didn't have CCS support. This meant I had to rely on L2 charging at a nearby shopping center. I made do, but most people would find it difficult.

2.) Twice from Hertz (Austin TX and Chicago IL) - both went well. In both cases I had to spend some time redoing a lot of the settings on the screen that others had messed up. Perhaps most egregious was in Austin when I drove out into the sunlight and the screen went blank! I knew immediately what was wrong. Someone had moved the screen brightness from "auto" to "0%"! Also in both cases, the rental car people were fairly clueless about the car. In Chicago, I spent a little time with the Hertz gal talking about them. Moved her from "skeptical" to "maybe I should get a Tesla for myself"!

3.) Brother rented a Polestar 2 at SFO. He was staying at a nearby hotel that has L2 charging in the parking lot. I showed him how to use them, and he was successful. He owns three Volvos, so was otherwise comfortable with the car.

4.) Daughter rented a Hyundai Kona - as it was the last car they had. She rightly figured I'd know how to charge it. They drove it all over the Bay Area while they were here. Since they stayed at our house, there was no problem with charging. But absent that, I think she'd still be more comfortable renting an ICE car.

Bottom line for me is that for those of us who are comfortable with EVs, renting one is almost a no brainer. For those who have no experience, it is still a brave new world full of pitfalls. Helps to have someone with some knowledge to guide them along.

The 202 seem to be at the top when I was looking.

I'd never buy a vehicle from a rental company.
I have. Purchased a pick up for the mountain because I needed one while waiting for my CT. Truck has worked as expected. No issues. If you know what to look for, there’s no reason not to. If you don’t, then take someone with you who does know what to look for.

Some people drive rentals like they stole them. Some people do not. I don’t. But here’s a funny, I often drive my Tesla like I stole it. 🤷🏻

Also in both cases, the rental car people were fairly clueless about the car.
Exactly, and for me was in Tampa Fla where they filmed the Hertz commercial with Tom Brady! So I was at ground zero (summer '23) and nobody knew much. Someone finally came out to mention the bar code scan but that's all they knew regarding the process. It was flaky but likely fixed since (as I recall something on this).

Seriously, if they haven't done so already, just take the staff on a road trip with Tesla's (no not Marketing OR Sales, no not Execs, the front facing staff). </Training Rant End>