Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Last edited:
I feel like this judge may be of shady character. Since feelings are now more important than facts, she should be immediately removed from her office.

"The primary consequence of this finding is that the defendants bore the burden of proving at trial that the compensation plan was entirely fair. Delaware law allows defendants to shift the burden of proof under the entire fairness standard where the transaction was approved by a fully informed vote of the majority of the minority stockholders. And here, Tesla conditioned the compensation plan on a majority-of-the-minority vote. But the defendants were unable to prove that the stockholder vote was fully informed because the proxy statement inaccurately described key directors as independent and misleadingly omitted details about the process."

Not sure what's so "feelings" based about this.

Seems like a lot of people want to "cancel" this judge because she issued a ruling they didn't like.

Kind of wild to watch, tbh. I didn't realize how many lawyers there were lol.

And this: China plans to add 450 GW more solar over the next 24 mths in western desserts:

China’s MASSIVE Desert Project Is About To Change The World | Undecided with Matt Ferrell

to give a tiny bit of perspective,
IF that set of PV array does like mine, it should produce around 670 TERAWATT hours/year, a bit over 2% of total planetary!

IF that set of PV array does like mine, it should produce around 670 TERAWATT hours/year, a bit over 2% of total planetary!

Nice perspective.
Electricity is about 1/5 of total world energy

I periodically do something similar, in terms of worldwide energy consumption discounted by present day clean enerey contribution and CAGR assumptions. I usually end up calculating ~ 20 years for the transition. For context, 10 years is needed to limit planetary warming to 1.5C

Here is some data you may find interesting. The authors report in fossil equivalents. I tend to think that renewables will overall be about 2x as efficient (not more because of industrial heating) which implies present world energy annual consumption of ~ 40,000 TWh = 40 PWh = 40E15 Wh

Screenshot 2024-01-31 at 2.58.56 PM.png

Last edited:

Well, it's even better than that! Those solar farms are also dotted with new wind turbines. China is poised to achieve its 2030 carbon emissions targets by 2025. China consumes 13M bbd of oil but produces only 4M. Most of their coal is imported.

Any doubt who will reach net zero first? Its in their financial interests to decarbonize as rapidly as possible, just as it was in their interests to electrify as quickly as possible in the 2000s to support industrialization. Now, a low-carbon grid is cheaper, more reliable, and less subject to foreign dependancies. Engineers make the decisions in China, not the Courts.

Really good breakdown of why V12 is not only much better, but also held back from wider release. Well worth a watch and great job to AIDrivr!

View attachment 1014073

One chasm to clear in this in-between period is how to deal with things when the software is so good that people think they can rely on it 100%, but they still shouldn't. More of an issue of dealing with human psychology. If it feels perfect, and gets through a few hours of driving without need for intervention, there will be people who assume it is 100% reliable and stop doing their supervise and take-over job. Obviously, we had people years ago privately (ie: without recording and sharing) and publicly (for the Youtube clicks) trusting the software too much. That gets trickier as the software gets better and better and more people are tempted to try to find ways to override the safety checks in the system....

Those solar farms are also dotted with new wind turbines

I noticed that too :)
The article says that they model for 60% of energy to be solar and 40% wind so that would be the equivalent of 1.66x their PV, or 747 GW

Not mentioned in the article but the key enabler there is super high voltage DC long distance transmission

Last edited:

to add more data,
from
70+ years of data, BP Statistical review that went to energy institute

China as of 2022
PV 393,1 gigawatt of panels installed made 427.7 Terawatt hours
Wind 366 gigawatt of turbines installed made 767.7 Terawatt Hours
1,195 Terawatt hours roughly 4% world electricity !

Last edited:
Really interesting that it is going to use preexisting CATL equipment that is currently “idle”.

My gut reaction (READ: only speculation) is that the CATL equipment is prior generation. Apparently good enough for what Tesla wants to use it for.

Does Megapacks get anymore credits with this? $45/kWh of cell and pack production? Or that goes to auto only?

I'm not sure, but it might end up being the same result via substitution if it enables more domestic pack production to go into EV production

Last edited:
My gut reaction (READ: only speculation) is that the CATL equipment is prior generation. Apparently good enough for what Tesla wants to use it for.

I'm not sure, but it might end up being the same result via substitution if it enables more domestic pack production to go into EV production
I believe there is currently an oversupply of batteries for EVs which is why the CATL equipment is idle.

Clean energy aside, no one is even a bit concerned that this would be China selling power in California? Or is this company just the provider of panels?

If solar is the next gold rush after batteries, shouldn't they be built here in N. America somewhere? Is this where the robots come in to compete having zero labor? Or is it the lack of ASM equipment... maybe.

So where am I gonna find a simple FAB around here? And once that's solved, we'd need a desert. Oh wait, I live near these things today! Pat, you listening?

But who would buy this electricity? That's gonna be a problem with the current monopoly here. Az Corporation Commission ain't serving us well. Let's take this recent example, just last week. So frustrating on so many levels. Are these Judges all related?