Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I made a call out many months ago thinking the stock was going to rebound to $300 for one reason: once supercharging rolls out for all the other EV's, the FUD would flip a switch and turn positive towards all things Tesla and Elon Musk.

Obviously, that's wrong now in the month of March. Anyone think there's a delayed reaction to this roll out into May/June for TSLA to rebound or is this new initiative a non-factor in the stock?

Superchargers were already open to other brands in EU for a while.

And in the US the majority of EVs that can use them will still remain Teslas for the foreseeable future.

So not sure why you expected that (or still do?) to be a major catalyst to 300?

It's not gonna be nothing, long term, to revenue-- but a short term near-doubling of SP? Why?

Superchargers were already open to other brands in EU for a while.

And in the US the majority of EVs that can use them will still remain Teslas for the foreseeable future.

So not sure why you expected that (or still do?) to be a major catalyst to 300?

It's not gonna be nothing, long term, to revenue-- but a short term near-doubling of SP? Why?

Honestly - and maybe this is a wrong read - I think a couple of things off the top of my mind:

- Tesla hasn't been able to play well with the rest of the transportation ecosystem in things like adoption of its products from taxis, rental car agencies (Hertz, as an example, was a driver for share price growth), and EVs developed by the other OEMs.
- most of the traditional media FUD is coming from advertising dollars from oil & gas and older OEM's $$. Once they're adopted as a part of the new solution of EV's...well maybe there's no point in spending those FUD $$.
- Its more important, as its war-time rather than peace-time in this phase of Tesla's historical arc IMO, to become an aggregator (one that lifts all boats) rather than a monopoly (because the job isn't getting done fast enough by every other player in the ecosystem).

Reactions: saniflash
I made a call out many months ago thinking the stock was going to rebound to $300 for one reason: once supercharging rolls out for all the other EV's, the FUD would flip a switch and turn positive towards all things Tesla and Elon Musk.

Obviously, that's wrong now in the month of March. Anyone think there's a delayed reaction to this roll out into May/June for TSLA to rebound or is this new initiative a non-factor in the stock?
There is simply too much money to be made keeping TSLA bouncing up and down like a yo-yo for it to pop up.

One reason for it to pop would be a stock dividend announced out of the blue.

Second would be if enough big players were positioned well enough for a rise.

non-factor gets my vote.

Any reason why you didn't provide information to back up your position? Of course you know it's my opinion.
Let me see. I actually spoke of my firsthand experience. I actually see Tesla vehicles all the time in my general middle of nowhere area, some clearly passing through, others who live here. So I’m NOT an exception even in my very small corner of the world.

There are other people who’ve come to realize that EVs, at least Teslas, simply don’t require ‘service’. So it’s ok to own one and not have a service center closeby. Obviously, sometimes 💩 happens and a vehicle needs to be towed. You must realize this has happened with ICEVs for literally a century with quite a few of those breakdowns far from any ICEV service center/correct brand dealership sc.

I’ve also (and so should you have) heard this particular argument from people for over a decade (along with similar arguments which I already brought up) and yet more and more people buy Teslas far from SCs.

I’m literally still trying to explain to my father, who is not a stupid man but has been a mechanic of ICEVs his whole life, that there is NOTHING to service on a Tesla. That he doesn’t have to be some computer programmer wizard. And that he doesn’t need a LvL2 charger requiring a bunch of rewiring of his house, even after I showed him a picture of my car plugged into a standard light socket outlet - which is how I’ve charged my car 95%+ of its 110,000 miles.

The point I’m trying to make is that these ‘a lot’ of people you speak of are stuck in archaic thinking. They simply don’t know and don’t understand it’s different this time. What’s needed for a Tesla isn’t what’s needed for the ICEVs they’ve been driving their whole lives, sometimes for decades.

You continuing on with this false narrative isn’t helpful. You putting a parameter on what an acceptable distance to a SC for a Tesla isn’t helpful.

People all over the world need to slow their rolls. Take a deep breath. Engage the brain. Stop with all the off the cuff opinions about all the things they don’t know much about and haven’t actually experienced firsthand for more than a second. Then take one step at a time towards educating and enlightening themselves. Distinguish between what they think they need and what they really need - those two things are very different.

Last edited:
After spending the last week on the first half of a long road trip across the South in our new Cybertruck, perhaps the only thing more difficult than getting to see a new CT in the wild is trying to drive one on the interstate while every driver around you is taking pics and videos of a new CT in the wild. We drove 18 hours the first day, and at least half of that was in the lens of someone’s iPhone - one after another , after another…. Lane changes/passing was almost always complicated by vehicles shadowing us for pics and videos of the truck rolling through the south at a high rate of speed. And Supercharger stops - ha! Dozens of pics taken and questions from multiple people at each one - non-stop fascination with the truck. It was like a Twilight Zone episode. Anyone thinking there isn’t sufficient interest and demand for this truck is off their nut! It’s beyond comprehension how many people of every demographic want one. Oh yeah - almost forgot to mention that it is a complete dream to drive.
This is a fantastic post. It needs more exposure on other social media.

There is simply too much money to be made keeping TSLA bouncing up and down like a yo-yo for it to pop up.

One reason for it to pop would be a stock dividend announced out of the blue.

Second would be if enough big players were positioned well enough for a rise.

Personally, I've never subscribed to the market manipulation line of thinking, tbh. Mostly because I don't understand it. Maybe TSLA was range-bound between 2015-2019, but that's as far as I go in thinking that way.

For a major change in gigantic and historically old transportation and utility markets that Tesla is tackling, I do think TSLA was bound to the trickle down effects of its capability to change everything we do societally too. One can see, as its being played out over the past years, just how much impact Tesla's & EV's (alongside everything that relates to those products in that new market/ecosystem) presence is having on the old oil & gas market that we've all been living with for 100+ years now...

...so, hence, supercharging for all could be a latent or abrupt step change towards greater adoption in the general adoption of the EV market and all interrelated products over oil & gas.

Let me see. I actually spoke of my firsthand experience. I actually see Tesla vehicles all the time in my general middle of nowhere area, some clearly passing through, others who live here. So I’m NOT an exception even in my very small corner of the world.

There are other people who’ve come to realize that EVs, at least Teslas, simply don’t require ‘service’. So it’s ok to own one and not have a service center closeby. Obviously, sometimes 💩 happens and a vehicle needs to be towed. You must realize this has happened with ICEVs for literally a century with quite a few of those breakdowns far from an right ICEV service center/correct brand dealership sc.

I’ve also (and so should you have) heard this particular argument from people for over a decade (along with similar arguments which I already brought up) and yet more and more people buy Teslas far from SCs.

I’m literally still trying to explain to my father, who is not a stupid man but has been a mechanic of ICEVs his whole life, that there is NOTHING to service on a Tesla. That he doesn’t have to be some computer programmer wizard. And that he doesn’t need a LvL2 charger requiring a bunch of rewiring of his house, even after I showed him a picture of my car plugged into a standard light socket outlet - which is how I’ve charged my car 95%+ of its 110,000 miles.

The point I’m trying to make is that these ‘a lot’ of people you speak of are stuck in archaic thinking. They simply don’t know and don’t understand it’s different this time. What’s needed for a Tesla isn’t what’s needed for the ICEVs they’ve been driving their whole lives, sometimes for decades.

You continuing on with this false narrative isn’t helpful. You putting a parameter on what an acceptable distance to a SC for a Tesla isn’t helpful.

People all over the world need to slow their rolls. Take a deep breath. Engage the brain. Stop with all the off the cuff opinions about all the things they don’t know much about and haven’t actually experienced firsthand for more than a second. Then take one step at a time towards educating and enlightening themselves. Distinguish between what they think they need and what they really need - those two things are very different.
This will be my last post on this subject for awhile.
My belief is that service/delivery centers help drive demand. Notice I said "help" and that is all I've ever said. Don't move the goal posts. Nothing more nothing less. Obviously you don't agree and I think you're in the minority. I just wish Tesla would go faster in some parts of the country. Where I live it's not a problem.

Four major reasons the stock has been drifting downward,IMO.

1. Hangover from 2021 bubble when TSLA went way too high too fast. Once at that level the only direction to go is down. We are in downward price discovery mode.

2. Narrative reversal on EVs - “nobody wants them.”

3. FSD still doesn’t work

4. Overall weak economy around the world. See China and EU, and to a lesser extent the US.

These can all change, but they are not going to change overnight. Holders should stop checking the price everyday and those looking to increase their position should wait for real signs of a reversal.

Jmho

This will be my last post on this subject for awhile.
My belief is that service/delivery centers help drive demand. Notice I said "help" and that is all I've ever said. Don't move the goal posts. Nothing more nothing less. Obviously you don't agree and I think you're in the minority. I just wish Tesla would go faster in some parts of the country. Where I live it's not a problem.
Agreed.
Southern NH here. When using the MA service center, the big issue is we cannot take new car delivery without paying MA sales tax. I had to use Paramus NJ. Tesla is s l o w l y building a Londonderry NH service site. Not a fan of the location. Had it been near Rt 95N, the $outhern Maine folks could have benefited as well.

Last edited:
Adding more cameras, or any other sensors for that matter, opens up a whole other can of worms in then requiring training data from those new camera locations and sensors.

But I’ve been convinced FSD in its current configuration was always intended to remain Level 2, the human is there to account for any sensor deficiencies and own liability along the way. But V12 sounds like a promising step towards the *final* non-Beta release as a driver assist.
Completely agree. I don't expect a retrofit or "simple" changeover. But it seems like the only possible solution given these 3 axioms which I believe to be true.
  1. The current camera setup cannot physically see areas which it needs to see to safely operate in some situations.
  2. Those situations are common enough to prevent it from driving unsupervised.
  3. Tesla will continue trying to achieve unsupervised driving (L4, L5, or w/e you want to call it).

Reactions: skybluecgreen

I think opening the supercharging network is a non factor for the stock. At least until (unless?) it starts bringing in huge revenues, which I don't think that will be the case until EV's are a much higher percentage of cars on the roads.

Eventually the SC network will likely make great revenues for Tesla, but no time soon as its just too early.

[

That was a bit of a disappointment though. I had visions of the next remake of the model Y having an extra 6 or 8 KWh of capacity and a little better range. Maybe someday.
Be wary of watching expert Tesla videos on YouTube. They will have you thinking the 4680 battery was solid state............(no lie I actually saw that).

Reactions: Webeevdrivers
I find it interesting that there are long time bulls here and everywhere who are in such a state of despair that they discount completed FSD as a nonstarter for the SP until revenues appear in a major way.

Hypothetical scenario: Tesla announces two months from now that FSD is complete and true self driving is achieved and only a matter of some last few extreme tests and also regulatory issues. Everyone using FSD and testing it outside of a few insane TSLAQs agree and there is near universal disbelief that a fleet of cars numbering in the millions can suddenly drive autonomously. The media and OEMs sputter and squirm but physical realities prevail and FSD is hailed by almost all objective observers as a monumental achievement for human civilization.

And yet there seems to be a prevailing opinion even among TSLA bulls that this would mean nothing for the stock price until it is monetized. And that even worse, it would transform into a money pit with high cost centers. And that we must seethe in quiet desperation until GigaMex and Tesla energy are ramped fully.

I find this outcome highly improbable. A couple of orders in magnitude more improbable than the achievement of autonomous driving. Which, btw, is going to happen. One way or another.

Plus again the LR-AWD is now a useless product. Nobody would ever buy one since it costs the same for a lower spec car (or you have to slash thousands off the price- and do the same for RWD).

Haha, I'm that nobody who would prefer the lower-spec car, at least with regard to the spec change from an LR/AWD to Performance.

I'll admit I'm an odd fellow and probably among a small minority, but if you offered me an LR/AWD and a Performance Model 3 for the same price, I would choose the LR because it would still cost me less over time..

I just don't value the increased acceleration or increased top speed or the style/appearance of larger wheels. At the same price point, I'd always choose the car with slightly better efficiency, slightly better range, and smaller wheels that are less prone to pothole damange and allow for cheaper/longer-lasting tires. I do drive in snow where the local authorities require tire chains unless you have all wheel drive, so the LR/AWD works for me better than the SR as well.

I'm not sure how many weirdos like myself there are...but ignoring the logistics for Tesla to offer more factory-built variations, I'd actually like to see Tesla offer an "economy" option with smaller diameter and slightly narrower wheels, to allow for some cheap/comfortable/non-high-speed tires with a tall sidewall...and that option should also offer a small bump in range and efficiency too.