Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I don’t know. There are presently good use scenarios for PHEV’s. Even “fuel” cost. With present supercharger rates it’s arguably cheaper to road trip in a Prius. For most people the advantage still lies with EV over PHEV because we can charge at home. But for those who road trip a lot, depending where they travel (gas price and supercharger price variables) it can certainly be cheaper to travel in a gasser. It will be interesting to see if supercharger rates continue to climb. We are seeing 80 cents per kWh in some places now. (At least for the non tesla EV drivers). I suspect it will be very region dependant.
Don't forget maintenance! Nobody sane would disagree with you on the regional dependence issue. Nearly every major energy category, from coal, solar, wind, oil, nuclear, hydro...all are regionally variable. Busses, trains, cars all regional.

No matter what trajectory we are on as a planet those variances will continue.

Unquestionably there are places where ICE, PHEV and EV will each have strong local preferences. That is regardless of eventual dominance of the most efficacious solutions.

How does Tesla vision do with Fog?
Even with LiDAR and radar on top of vision, Waymo today operates only in arid climates and literal deserts lol

Then again if the planet continues warming as it has, more of North America will gradually become desert and precipitation (especially the riskier frozen variety) might become less of a concern — robotaxis really are a hedge against climate change.

... In a study back in 2018 they compared the Chevy Volt to the Nissan Leaf and surprise the average Volt drove more all electric miles than the Leaf...
For this one your 'study', if it existed, had to be taken wildly out of context. The Leaf drove 100% of its driven miles on Electric. The Volt, did not even approach that. Since there were/are many more Leafs that Volts even raw miles are a visual impossibility.

I suppose I should wait for the official figures tomorrow, but what is the fun in that. Troy’s figures for S, X and Cybertruck look bad. Not deducting anything for Cybertruck, this would be bad for the S and X. I think it’s time for Tesla to fish or cut bait. Either redo them with the latest technology or drop them. Personally, I would prefer the former, but I know a lot of people just consider them a rounding error. Probably so, but halo cars help draw people to a brand. Also, for me, there is history . We wouldn’t be here without the S .

This was my experience driving around in southern Europe a few years back. Language barriers and all kinds of other issues. Sad to hear it hasn't improved much. 🤷‍♀️ I ended up only using superchargers and Tesla destination chargers.

Yep, Supercharger is significantly cheaper also, other that I saw were around 50% more expensive without any membership

On language barrier, so far, every single automated piece of equipment (chargers, fast food, park meters, cinema, etc) all are multilanguage

Just plug in and it works, only downside is that the closest is 30 km away, luckily the local supermarket free level 2 charging, sadly I realized only a few days ago, could have saved a bit

I suppose I should wait for the official figures tomorrow, but what is the fun in that. Troy’s figures for S, X and Cybertruck look bad. Not deducting anything for Cybertruck, this would be bad for the S and X. I think it’s time for Tesla to fish or cut bait. Either redo them with the latest technology or drop them. Personally, I would prefer the former, but I know a lot of people just consider them a rounding error. Probably so, but halo cars help draw people to a brand. Also, for me, there is history . We wouldn’t be here without the S .
No matter how anyone slices or dices anything for Q1, its gonna be bad for deliveries. However, there may be some other surprises to the upside, we will just have to wait and see.

Yesterday my MY (FSD 12.3.3) drove 60 miles city/construction/highway/tunnels with no GPS signal and very complex downtown intersections in very busy traffic. It took ~2.5 hours total.

Overall, very solid 9/10. Sometimes it just waited a bit longer that I wanted, but this is minor. The slowness only happened 2 times.
The complexity of that route was very high. 4-5 (non local?) drivers/cars did take bad exists right in front of me. FSD just drove right through those intersections, like nothing.

This is already marching the remaining nines. It will progress much quicker than before. We felt like in sci-fi movie to be honest. Jut incredible.

I am really happy that Elon decided to make it public for a month. For the first time I am considering dropping 12K on FSD. This is no joke.

For this one your 'study', if it existed, had to be taken wildly out of context. The Leaf drove 100% of its driven miles on Electric. The Volt, did not even approach that. Since there were/are many more Leafs that Volts even raw miles are a visual impossibility.
I think the assumed takeaway here was that Volt owners were using 100% of their battery almost every day - a luxury they had because the car would just switch to gas when the battery was exhausted. Conversely, Leaf owners, due to the modest battery size back in the day, would sometimes "not take the Leaf" for any "one way" trip greater than say 40% of the overall battery range as they didn't want to risk running out of juice in a round trip (especially when DC charging was a lot weaker) - as a result, those folks would often take their "ICE" car for those trips...hence the term "garage hybrid".

Last edited:
Have you driven S/X? Both just got refreshed too.

It’s always been this way, you just didn’t know it.
Clearly. Me knowing or not knowing isn’t the point really. I maintain it’s odd for Tesla not to adjust inventory vehicle pricing by the same amount. It’s not like the inventory vehicles are old or used. It just rolled off the line without a buyer. Either demand warrants a price increase for all vehicles or it doesn't.

• Disagree
Reactions: Krugerrand
San Francisco is classified as semiarid yup

By whom?

Arid regions by definition receive little precipitation—less than 10 inches (25 centimeters) of rain per year. Semi-arid regions receive 10 to 20 inches (25 to 50 centimeters) of rain per year.

SF averages 23.65 inches a year per this link

I think the assumed takeaway hear was that Volt owners were using 100% of their battery almost every day - a luxury they had because the car would just switch to gas when the battery was exhausted. Conversely, Leaf owners, due to the modest battery size back in the day, would sometimes "not take the Leaf" for any "one way" trip greater than say 40% of the overall battery range as they didn't want to risk running out of juice in a round trip (especially when DC charging was a lot weaker) - as a result, those folks would often take their "ICE" car for those trips...hence the term "garage hybrid".
Although that was more the issue with short-range EVs common at the time, where now the Zone of Awesomeness of BEVs is _much_ bigger.

By whom?

Arid regions by definition receive little precipitation—less than 10 inches (25 centimeters) of rain per year. Semi-arid regions receive 10 to 20 inches (25 to 50 centimeters) of rain per year.

SF averages 23.65 inches a year per this link
4” can make a very big difference for some things but not sure it does here. I was coming up with a 19” average on Google.

Car is on 2024.3.10 and FSD is on 12.3.3 and I honestly have more nags than I ever did on Autopilot. The nags on FSD are about every 10-20 seconds for me. Other than that FSD is performing fantastically, I honestly can't believe how good it is at driving so far!

Have you checked your cabin camera? Maybe blocked? Or old privacy settings so FSD cannot use it?

It’s as if you don’t bother reading any other posts in this investment thread, or the other investment threads, or the other trader threads -

By the time you type your post and then wait for someone to answer you that you rarely acknowledge back, you could have scrolled a few pages and found your answer at least six times.
Indeed! And this is a reply to a reply 10 pages ago!

• Informative
Reactions: Krugerrand
How does Tesla vision do with Fog?
Don't know how it does currently, but in the end it will be have slightly better than human vision and superhuman attention. Lidar is not much better with fog, at least the non-military grade lidars. Radars do better with fog for object detection, but good enough on sign reading etc to make a huge difference in driving through fog. Any human or computer driving through fog will have to accept that driving very slowly is the only way and that you are not safe from humans driving too fast.