Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
🔥BREAKING: Polestar identified "certain errors in historical 2021 and 2022" financial statements and is thus unable to file the 20-F.

SEC Form 20-F is an annual report filing for non-U.S. and non-Canadian companies that have securities trading in the U.S. SEC Form 20-F helps standardize the reporting requirements of foreign-based companies. The company must also make the report available to shareholders through the company's website.

It's become clear now that Tesla, or specifically Elon, is tired of funding 100% of the North American expansion of the DC fast charger Network.

Why?

It's a profitable line of business- and Tesla is hardly short for cash.

In fact we've been told several times the reason they haven't applied that cash elsewhere is a shortage of engineering talent.... expanding superchargers is a solved problem there was already a team for.

Heck, like 2 weeks ago folks right in here were debating an article about how MASSIVE the profits from superchargers would be over time as expansion and adoption continued.

Now we're gonna pretend "naah that was dumb"?

It's become clear now that Tesla, or specifically Elon, is tired of funding 100% of the North American expansion of the DC fast charger Network. It's time for the US government and/or other NACS adopters to pony up some cash. Put up or shut up, Tesla will be profitable just fine off of AI.
I doubt this is the reason for the supercharger layoffs, but if it is that's Elon's fault. He signed with GM, Ford and others without requiring investment in the network.

Why?

In fact we've been told several times the reason they haven't applied that cash elsewhere is a shortage of engineering talent.... expanding superchargers is a solved problem there was already a team for.

Heck, like 2 weeks ago folks right in here were debating an article about how MASSIVE the profits from superchargers would be over time as expansion and adoption continued.

That's just how people cope. When Tesla opened up SCs it was "about the mission".

This all looks to be a way to tighten up the company for the next/new phase of growth.

Tesla isn't the only game out there and doesn't have to handle all of the charging infrastructure needs.

The pace of NEVI installations by multiple CPOs is starting to pick up.

A bunch, 6, of the OEMs, that are Tesla NACS "partners" are funding a competing network, IONNA. Which may eventually, maybe, start rolling out their own huge, 30k stall, network. (The first stations are supposed to open this summer.) I think they should instead funnel that money to help expand the Supercharger network, maybe branding sites that they help fund. (Maybe their access to the Supercharger network should be put towards the end of the queue since it seems like they want to do it themselves?)
Although NEVI isn't mentioned by name, there's more here (behind paywall unfortunately), where Tesla is winning most of the bids.

Thanks for the tip about IONNA.

Last edited:
I doubt this is the reason for the supercharger layoffs, but if it is that's Elon's fault. He signed with GM, Ford and others without requiring investment in the network.

And what about Tesla's request for funding for the mega charger Network that was denied by the US administration, who decided to fund hydrogen stations instead? Was that Elon's fault too? Or a cynical political decision made by forces who oppose his mission, his existence.

The mountains of Appalachia are a very popular tourist destination - we have a home near the middle of the map below.

53690801645_04499d7822_z.jpg

This hardly seems like the time to slow down expansion.
And there are probably too many Superchargers near me. All of the red circles on this map are within 80 miles of my house. (I didn't even include the hundreds of Superchargers in the NYC area). Perhaps Elon thinks a new Supercharger team will be more efficient.

1000005742.jpg

My speculation is that SC stations were being built at locations not very well thought out, resulting in poor utilization which triggered Elon's termination code. We recently got a brand new 16 stall station located in a dead mall's parking lot (shady part of town). I have been monitoring the place and the utilization is very poor while an 8 stall station 5 miles down is packed. Local FB group has commentors stating the station is a dumb location and warned others to be careful, not to get robbed while charging. So when there's too much expansion too fast, we end up getting these duds that cost the company millions of dollars. So I think he will get his new team or whoever is left to fully study the data and expand where there's a need and pick new locations more carefully.

Last edited:
My speculation is that SC stations were being built at locations not very well thought out, resulting in poor utilization which triggered Elon's termination code. We recently got a brand new 16 stall station located in a dead mall's parking lot (shady part of town). I have been monitoring the place and the utilization is very poor while an 8 stall station 5 miles down is packed. So when there's too much expansion too fast, we end up getting these duds that cost the company millions of dollars. So I think he will get his new team or whoever is left to fully study the data and expand where there's a need and pick new locations more carefully.

Yeah, this. This sounds like a great job for an intern to solve with AI, Why wait for Optimus to displace factory workers when compute power can replace knowledge workers now?
If the best part is no part. Maybe the best team is none.

Why?

Yes, massive profits according to some. Others thought just a nice to have. Nobody thought it stupid.

Something is up.

Yes, massive profits according to some. Others thought just a nice to have. Nobody thought it stupid.

Something is up.
All depends on the ROI of allocated capital, and the spending priorities.

At present Elon is all in on AI training capex, and Elon is conservative about preserving the existing cash buffer.

Existing Supercharging can still be profitable, while expanding Supercharging might currently not be the best return on allocated capital.

The have done a lot of Supercharger expansions recently, the $25K compact vehicle is delayed, and other manufacturers have delayed their EV plans.

So perhaps a go slow on SC expansion for a while might not be a disaster.

I speculate that there’s a lot of speculation in this thread, none of it based on fact and all of it based on speculation. And I speculate people will get riled up, thinking their own speculation or the speculation of someone else is correct, and love or hate or embrace or fear it, when the reality is that most of the speculation is probably 90% more dramatic than reality.

Definitely NOT just you.

Then again-

That's from Oct 2018. Considerably more than 3-6 months have passed and the "foolish oversight" still ain't fixed.
They are behind on the infrastructure for a pallet shelter housing village in Providence, Rhode Island (my backyard figuratively).

Why are they behind schedule? Because and I quote "It's switchgear and transformer equipment. That's technology that's actually in a shortage worldwide" there is actually a massive backlog of electrical infrastructure projects in the United States. Because of scarcity choose where to build charging locations carefully.

BTW a few miles from this pallet shelter village is the most popular charging station that Tesla has in Rhode Island, almost everyday it hits 100% usage at peak hours. Tesla superchargers needs expansion at their most popular locations.

Last edited: