Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
...Toyota launches the all new 2024 4Runner with the hybrid version using a Ni-MH battery? IN 2024!!!!

And it's a 1.87 kWh, look at the size of that thing, could have fit maybe 5x to 10x with Li-ion, even with LFP would be a huge improvement

I will be surprised if it can do 1 mile on electricity since they leave huge buffers for the hybrid powertrain to always be available

And some people think Toyota dominate, or even be mildly successful with EVs

View attachment 1037218
Clearly - and I'm certainly not advocating - this design is about the peak power the 48 HP motor adds to the downsized 4-cylinder ICE compared to last year's 6-cylinder standard. The hybrid may not even get better fuel economy than than this year's pure ICE model:

I agree with @cliff harris , this is just pathetic "innovation" by Toyota, a company which is sadly well past its prime. (Whoops no pun intended)

If I'm right, the car registration officesin China were closed from thursday (to sunday?). I saw a tweet from this, couldn't find it now. But heres an example in Beijing:

"From April 4 to 7: No License Plate-based Restriction on Vehicles in Beijing"

Not Chinese, but would that particular issue have affected ALL brands, not just Tesla?

Most likely reason is that early-in-the-quarter EXPORTS from China decreased the number of China domestic-sale Teslas available, as has been the norm for many quarters now, no?

Last edited:
FYI
"In March, the Consumer Price Index for All Urban Consumers increased 0.4 percent, seasonally adjusted, and rose 3.5 percent over the last 12 months, not seasonally adjusted. The index for all items less food and energy increased 0.4 percent in March (SA); up 3.8 percent over the year (NSA)."

3.4% was expected...as soon as the data was released the pre-market push-down started

Last edited:
Please.
None of these are big companies, all of them are new players in making EV. And they are delivering the similar number of cars comparing to the previous week.

Tesla sold roughly 80,000 cars in China in Q1, over 12 weeks time span. Averagely 6666 cars per week.
The week 4/1 - 4/7 Tesla only delivered 1907 cars, apparently it is not OK and something different happened.

Please,

You are either a troll, or simply not open to applying the facts to your thesis.

The numbers you quote are based upon "registrations" in China, yet you have referred to them in your argument as "China sales" at one point, and "China deliveries" at another. These are only a record of China registrations. They are at best an approximation of either sales or deliveries of vehicles in China itself.

Giga-Shanghai is Tesla's largest export factory. Tesla has a long-standing strategy of exporting vehicles at the beginning of a quarter in order for them to be delivered in other countries by the quarter's end.

Exports will not be "registered" to receive a China license plate. Therefore, exported vehicles will not be represented in a publication of China vehicle registrations.

You do clearly understand the "average" per week numbers are 6666, yet seem to grapple with the concept of some weeks showing lower and others showing higher numbers in order to be averaged to reach that figure.

Then you presume that this tiny sliver of data showing reduced China registrations that has repeatedly occurred in the first week of every quarter for a significant number of quarters is somehow unusual and worthy of your deep felt concern and fears for Tesla as a company.

How long before you begin to notice that every time you spew this sort of FUD, that rational, logical answers are provided that demonstrate this is business as usual, and realize how you need to zoom out in order to see the bigger picture over time?

After being consistently demonstrated as someone who over-reacts and then battles furiously to maintain your fear, uncertainty, and doubt rather than accept the fact that nothing is amiss, it paints you as either a troll, or someone who is unable to assimilate and correlate factual information in such a way as to alleviate your mistaken concerns.

So, which is it? Are you trolling on purpose to mount a FUD campaign, or is filtering the data a challenge for you?

Last edited:
FYI
"In March, the Consumer Price Index for All Urban Consumers increased 0.4 percent, seasonally adjusted, and rose 3.5 percent over the last 12 months, not seasonally adjusted. The index for all items less food and energy increased 0.4 percent in March (SA); up 3.8 percent over the year (NSA)."

3.4% was expected...as soon as the data was released the pre-market push-down started

Among the top items were vehicle insurance and vehicle repairs. Inflation does seem to be hitting the cost of car ownership particularly hard:

The inflating prices of these vehicle-adjacent items probably is suppressing the public's desire to buy new cars. But likewise, they might pose opportunities for Tesla to continue innovating on Tesla Insurance and Service.

Would you guys believe Toyota launches the all new 2024 4Runner with the hybrid version using a Ni-MH battery? IN 2024!!!!

And it's a 1.87 kWh, look at the size of that thing, could have fit maybe 5x to 10x with Li-ion, even with LFP would be a huge improvement

I will be surprised if it can do 1 mile on electricity since they leave huge buffers for the hybrid powertrain to always be available

And some people think Toyota dominate, or even be mildly successful with EVs

View attachment 1037218
They are dominating now in the NA market without EVs. And that battery is not for range, it's for power assistance. So it needs to be cheap hence the old battery.

That doesn't explain why the other manufacturers are still doing ok, especially the top 3.
🤦

Word is that the vast majority of vehicles produced in the time frame (so like at least the week before) went on boats. Probably being dumped in one of the planets vast oceans as I type this.

That means, there weren’t any cars left to sell in China. Do you understand now?

But how will the batteries "vent"? :eek: /s

Been thinking... pressurizing a battery chamber is a nice idea, but why do it on CT and not on other models? Designed-to-float is one theory, here's another. It is based on several unsuccessful oil pan gasket changing days to fix a drip (without mass quantities of RTV).

My hunch says CT battery will be pressurized (also) because they come apart to reconfigure. Fact is, nothing is ever as good as a factory seal... so why not cover it with air pressure?

Just a theory folks, don't freak out on me, it's that Up-pack theory I have. Might even be the eventual extender pack, as that bed mount version was one key reason I didn't pull the trigger on CT.

I have not seen Monroe's tear down... does CT pack look any more serviceable than other packs?

Reactions: AZRI11 and UncaNed
🤷

Hard to say if any of this matters in this moment. These two have met before and an announcement could be as simple as, ‘we’re talking about Tesla investing in India, blah, blah, blah’.

I am reminded at how long it took for Tesla to finalize the deal in China. I’m also reminded of all the people who were unadulteratedly wrong about what the outcome would be of the deal itself and the results along the way. I am finally reminded about all the opinionated people telling us how an India deal couldn’t happen because (69 reasons), or what an India deal looks like if and because (69 reasons).

I predict a slew of people are going to be wrong again about what an India deal looks like and finishes being in the end. I predict the reason for this extended (years now) talking with India is because Elon has a vision for Tesla in India and he’s not willing to compromise in any way that doesn’t benefit both parties equally. Elon is just waiting for India to pull its head out of its butt. It will just like China did. It would be a boon for all if the above announcement was ‘We have reached an agreement that benefits Tesla and India’.

Last edited:
Among the top items were vehicle insurance and vehicle repairs. Inflation does seem to be hitting the cost of car ownership particularly hard:

The inflating prices of these vehicle-adjacent items probably is suppressing the public's desire to buy new cars. But likewise, they might pose opportunities for Tesla to continue innovating on Tesla Insurance and Service.
Had a meeting with my ins broker yesterday. Highly interesting on a number of fronts. But to the point - more car insurance rate increases coming in this year across the board. This is going to get worse.