Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Universal Connector 14-50 orientation

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

jasonhi

Roadster 2.5 #1135
May 1, 2010
Bothell, WA
Anyone with the Tesla Universal Mobile Connector...

Can you confirm that the 14-50 pigtail is oriented so that the three flat prongs are down and the 4th prong is at the top if I want the pigtail to hang straight down the wall from the outlet?

I've been installing a NEMA 14-50 outlet (conduit, wire and outlet) in my garage today, and I'm about ready to put the plug into the box. Figure I may as well get it oriented the way I'll want it now.

Thanks,
...Jason

So it appears:
universal_grande.jpg

I can confirm. And RV parks I've encountered also do it that way, but you will find the occasional non-standard orientation (round ground pin at bottom) which can create an interference problem when combined with an outlet-cover (usually hinged at the top).

(Note: receptacles shown in pictures attached below are NOT in the standard orientation.)

NEMA1450_UpsideDown_1.jpg
NEMA1450_UpsideDown_2.jpg
NEMA1450_UpsideDown_3.jpg

Yes, people used to installing NEMA5-15 might be used to putting the ground pin hole at the bottom, so they mount the NEMA14-50 upside down by mistake. (And the writing on the socket ends up upside down which should have been a clue.)

If you want the cord to hang down, install the socket with the round hole up. If you want the cord to go up, install the socket with the round hole down. Obviously, if you are installing a socket with a top-hinged cover, the round hole must up.

Be sure that the ground hole is actually grounded, even if simply with a short wire to the neutral. The MC-240 checks to see if the ground prong is connected to ground.