Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

tesla usa charging 240 or 110 help

usa tesla s chatging 240 or 11o

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
You can charge on 240v, they have them over there too and refer to them as high-power or dryer outlet - as they're often used for a tumble-dryer in the garage

Curious how you're going to use the car though - you'll be limited to charging with the UMC. You won't be able to use superchargers. You may be able to use CHAdeMO with the adapter bought from the US tesla store.

The car can take 240v AC no problem (a myriad of 240v adapters are available in the US (none are useful for you in the UK though, but it proves a US car can handle 240v), but do you have the cables to make it happen? What Tesla Mobile Connector version do you have? (v1 or v2) That will depend on how easy it will be for you to get the right dongle to plug it into a UK socket.

Got a picture of the supercharger adapter? - intrigued.

i have brought a superchager adapter ,so can i use it in the uk 240v .some people say you have to usa 110v ??
dcb0abdc-0c70-4111-930d-d3920bd97cd9.jpg

There may well be an issue with trying to charge using UK AC mains, as it's very different to the North American system. Here, our 230 VAC supply has a neutral that's at "earth" potential, and a line conductor that's 230 VAC above neutral. In North America, they use a split phase system, so that 220 VAC is has two line conductors, each of which is 110 VAC either side of "earth". As a consequence of this, I believe that the earth leakage check system is very different, and the charger may well not expect to see one live terminal at "earth" potential and the other 230 VAC above it, it will expect both live terminals to be at 110 VAC above earth, but 180 deg out of phase.

Best check with Tesla, as I think the onboard charger modules may need to be changed, or modified, in order to allow them to work on UK supplies. Might be an idea to see if there are any US service people that have brought Tesla's to Europe or the UK, and what, if any, modifications they needed to do. There's a fair chance that someone around one of the big bases has done this already, as I believe US service people can have their cars shipped here for free when they get posted.