Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla used inventory/pricing power

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
After the price cuts on new models, it makes sense that Tesla is focused exclusively there. However, there are a bunch of vehicles in used inventory right now (3 and Y) with list prices above what a new build would cost. Thoughts on when Tesla will slash these as well? Do they even care about moving that inventory?

It seems like Tesla will control the bulk of the supply of recent model years (off lease and trade ins) while the private market supply will be limited due to large depreciation and owners being under water with the new price cuts. Does it make more sense for the them to simply hold their used inventory to maintain pricing power and essentially force potential buyers into new orders? Thoughts?

Do you have some examples of Tesla used inventory cars that are priced above new build prices with same equipment?

Here’s one example. It does appear they’ve enabled FSD on most of the used inventory I’ve seen so they could be using that to justify a higher price tag.​

2022 Model Y​

Model Y Long Range Dual Motor All-Wheel Drive
7,016 mile odometer
Tucson, AZ
$60,400
$969 /mo

Est. Transport Fee: $500
  • Used Inventory Front View of Model Y Long Range Dual Motor All-Wheel Drive Edition

Used Inventory Front View of Model Y Long Range Dual Motor All-Wheel Drive Edition
  • Used Inventory Side View of Model Y Long Range Dual Motor All-Wheel Drive Edition

Used Inventory Side View of Model Y Long Range Dual Motor All-Wheel Drive Edition
  • Used Inventory Interior View of Model Y Long Range Dual Motor All-Wheel Drive Edition

Used Inventory Interior View of Model Y Long Range Dual Motor All-Wheel Drive Edition
Previous SlideNext Slide
  • 330 mi
    Range (EPA est.)
  • 135 mph
    Top Speed
  • 4.2 s
    0-60 mph
  • Full Self-Driving Capability
  • No Reported Accidents/Damage

Reactions: dhrivnak
Here’s one example. It does appear they’ve enabled FSD on most of the used inventory I’ve seen so they could be using that to justify a higher price tag.

Your description doesn't show if it’s a 5 or 7 passenger. If it's a 5 passenger model, the retail price would be $69,630 and if it's a 7 passenger model the retail price would be $73,630. If it has a tow hitch, the price would be an additional $1,000 higher.

In either case, even with $7,500 federal credit applied, the used example you gave is still lower priced than new.

Your description doesn't show if it’s a 5 or 7 passenger. If it's a 5 passenger model, the retail price would be $69,630 and if it's a 7 passenger model the retail price would be $73,630. If it has a tow hitch, the price would be an additional $1,000 higher.

In either case, even with $7,500 federal credit applied, the used example you gave is still lower priced than new.

In either case, even with $7,500 federal credit applied, the used example you gave is still l

It’s the 5 passenger. The copy/paste looks like it was truncated. Here’s the VIN: 5YJYGDEF8MF211960

Reactions: dhrivnak
Tesla adds FSD to all used vehicles they sell, and they will not remove it if requested. When you are looking at "more than new" you will need to add the cost of FSD to a new build to hit the equivalent pricing.

Regardless of what you think about that process, or whether they "should" do it, that is what they DO do, so you will need to do your comparison that way vs expecting them to automatically lower used pricing.

Reactions: E90alex
Tesla either adds FSD/EAP and/or acceleration boost to most of their used inventory or they specifically hand pick only cars that have those features to resell.

So yes often they can be the same or more than a new order without those software upgrades.

Tesla either adds FSD/EAP and/or acceleration boost to most of their used inventory or they specifically hand pick only cars that have those features to resell.

So yes often they can be the same or more than a new order without those software upgrades.

They seem to add AB to all the M3 AWD's ...

FSD and EAP are scattered with most of them without either on all trims (SR, LR and P) as of the last couple weeks.

I lucked out big time yesterday with my purchase

I was going back and forth on a few of them all day and had it down to my top two choices...

So about 2 am I decided to pull the trigger on my first Tesla before someone else snagged one of them as they seem to go very fast.

one of them was a white/black 2020 M3P with 25,654 miles with EAP for $41,400

the other one was a white/black 2020 M3P with 41,889 miles with FSD for $41,700

So I decided the low mile one was the way to go and went to lock it up with my $500 deposit, but it kept saying "an error has occurred"

My heart sank after the third try with three different credit cards...thinking "shht it probably already sold" :mad:

So I tried my phone thinking maybe it was an issue with my MacBook

and what do you know..... Not only was it still there, it was now down to $40,100 !!!! 😍
Apparently the error was because I was still using the browser window from earlier that day before the price drop when it was still showing $41,400

My hesitation paid off as I saved $1300 and was absolutely giddy for getting an amazing deal on a lightly used M3P!!!

Win win!!!:cool:

1BFF3FBA-AE31-4147-B663-6248535A6F5A.jpeg

Can't wait!!!!

• Love
Reactions: K.I.T.T.23
They seem to add AB to all the M3 AWD's ...

FSD and EAP are scattered with most of them without either on all trims (SR, LR and P) as of the last couple weeks.

I lucked out big time yesterday with my purchase

I was going back and forth on a few of them all day and had it down to my top two choices...

So about 2 am I decided to pull the trigger on my first Tesla before someone else snagged one of them as they seem to go very fast.

one of them was a white/black 2020 M3P with 25,654 miles with EAP for $41,400

the other one was a white/black 2020 M3P with 41,889 miles with FSD for $41,700

So I decided the low mile one was the way to go and went to lock it up with my $500 deposit, but it kept saying "an error has occurred"

My heart sank after the third try with three different credit cards...thinking "shht it probably already sold" :mad:

So I tried my phone thinking maybe it was an issue with my MacBook

and what do you know..... Not only was it still there, it was now down to $40,100 !!!! 😍
Apparently the error was because I was still using the browser window from earlier that day before the price drop when it was still showing $41,400

My hesitation paid off as I saved $1300 and was absolutely giddy for getting an amazing deal on a lightly used M3P!!!

Win win!!!:cool:

View attachment 902738

Can't wait!!!!
Congrats! I think you made the right choice, EAP is the way to go IMHO. Enjoy your new M3P!

Reactions: M3_Performante