Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Van

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Nothing that big will be practical for the next 5 years IMO. Battery pack sauce would need to be 200kwh or larger to get range larger ranges. Look at the eTransit 175 range. I would never buy a van with that kinda range of range when ICE versions are available. If towing you get half the rated range? Same thing goes for large SUVs. I don’t see the Suburban and Expedition get any BEV competition any time soon.

As far a robo taxis go. I don’t see any reason for a big van. Something Mazda 5 size. Maybe as large as a mini van?

The whole robo taxi concept will dictate size. Know that you don’t have to pay a driver to smaller taxis can make more money as it can run two different fairs at once and one larger taxi.
for a robotaxi you need large range so you don't have to charge frequently. for passengers from/to airports or train stations you need luggage volume. for commercial cargo you don't NEED windows, but does that mean you can't have them? for different sizes of families you need seats with seat belts and minimal storage, but if the seats are foldable and can slide on rails; then you could adjust how many seats, adjust for cargo, and move them where wanted/needed. I want to use mine for taking people to the grocery store and hauling back with even more groceries that the buyers have already paid for.
I might have 2 or 3 passengers but a lot of groceries to load, keep separated, and coolers for the cold items. Therefore I want sliding seats, folding seats with
seat belts, and doors on both sides and the rear. For long trips I'll want a lot of range...also because i want to charge via a solar system over 2 to 3 days.

for a robotaxi you need large range so you don't have to charge frequently. for passengers from/to airports or train stations you need luggage volume. for commercial cargo you don't NEED windows, but does that mean you can't have them? for different sizes of families you need seats with seat belts and minimal storage, but if the seats are foldable and can slide on rails; then you could adjust how many seats, adjust for cargo, and move them where wanted/needed. I want to use mine for taking people to the grocery store and hauling back with even more groceries that the buyers have already paid for.
I might have 2 or 3 passengers but a lot of groceries to load, keep separated, and coolers for the cold items. Therefore I want sliding seats, folding seats with
seat belts, and doors on both sides and the rear. For long trips I'll want a lot of range...also because i want to charge via a solar system over 2 to 3 days.
A robo taxi doesn’t need long range. It will all be run by an algorithm and charging time will just be part of that. Keeping unit cost low by keeping car small with smaller batteries (think Mazda 5 size with three rows)

And I don’t know junk Tesla will offer all those configurations. It goes against their manufacturing philosophy. Sure they could sell unfinished chassis to be custom built but the price would be a premium over what Teslas standard configuration is.

How long has the cyber truck taken to get to where it is today? It’s going to take 18 months to ramp production.

This van is going to share parts with what other Tesla vehicle(s). The drive train is easy. Suspension? Not the S X or CT that leaves the 3/Y suspension as the only logical choice. So we guess a payload capacity of 800-1000 pounds. A mini van is around 1300. Transit connect cargo is 1500, add seats it’s back to the 1300 pound range. For comparison Model X has 1000 pound payload.

I don’t see how they can go bigger than 1000 pound payload. Any way you splice it payload is less than a minivan.

Reactions: Buckminster
@elon musk
make it optional for robotaxis, movable/removable seats, easy inside cleaning, cybertruck style body? i.e. use the stainless steel, 250 mile range when filled with 8 adults, charging usb outlets for every seat with the power coming from a small battery located in the seat bottom?, individual seat warmers?, seat covers that can stand wear or be easily replaced, seat belts attached to seats - not to the inside walls.

Reactions: Watts_Up
A robo taxi doesn’t need long range. It will all be run by an algorithm and charging time will just be part of that. Keeping unit cost low by keeping car small with smaller batteries (think Mazda 5 size with three rows)

And I don’t know junk Tesla will offer all those configurations. It goes against their manufacturing philosophy. Sure they could sell unfinished chassis to be custom built but the price would be a premium over what Teslas standard configuration is.

How long has the cyber truck taken to get to where it is today? It’s going to take 18 months to ramp production.

This van is going to share parts with what other Tesla vehicle(s). The drive train is easy. Suspension? Not the S X or CT that leaves the 3/Y suspension as the only logical choice. So we guess a payload capacity of 800-1000 pounds. A mini van is around 1300. Transit connect cargo is 1500, add seats it’s back to the 1300 pound range. For comparison Model X has 1000 pound payload.

I don’t see how they can go bigger than 1000 pound payload. Any way you splice it payload is less than a minivan.
if mercedes can build a sprinter van; then tesla can build it better and cheaper. why a minivan? why not a bigger van?

Reactions: EbS-P
if mercedes can build a sprinter van; then tesla can build it better and cheaper. why a minivan? why not a bigger van?
Bigger van has little international market. Two smaller self driving vans make more deliver/ fares than one large one…

And battery cost for large vans to get range will mean they have a harder time competing against large ICE vans.

As for the new sprinter. I’ll believe it when I see production of 5-10k units per quarter.

do you suppose that sliding rail doors could be mounted on both sides of a van operated by linear actuators? thus sliding vertically after being pushed out to clear the sides and top; then raising vertically? if a van was built on the idea of the cybertruck, then the sliding door might fit in with the exo-skeleton strength idea. optional windows or solid panels could be fitted. for a delivery van, this style of doors would allow almost complete access for loading/unloading. adjustable shelving? too boxes for service vans? for a passenger van, it would allow complete access to seat rows and luggage would be
accessed via the rear door (s).

Food trucks (vans) are a specialty vehicle. However, imagine a van designed on cybertruck style with access windows on the sides that raise/lower and still fit into the exo-skeleton idea. The back of the van c;ould have both a warmer oven and drink/ice cream units/access. while the sides would have windows to order/deliver the goodies (foodies) and the front portion of the rear could have the sales register with batteries/genset for power under it. a rolling chair for the sales person. outside speakers for music and announcing orders completed. bill board pricing/advertising on the outside walls below the windows and/or above?

Any idea of the cost of the US Postal Service (USPS) Next Generation Delivery Vehicle (NGDV) for comparison with the Rivian EDV (Electric Delivery Van) ?

US Postal Service (USPS) Next Generation Delivery Vehicle (NGDV)  .jpg

Last edited:
A high-top cargo van with all of the features and technology of the Cybertruck (the air suspension, rear wheel steering, steer by wire, powershare, 48v system, ethernet bus system) would kill multiple categories. It would simultaneously be better than every large SUV on the market while also being more functional than just about every truck in the market (including CT itself) for 80-90% of work usecases. It would be so awesome to see what the Cybervan looks like.

Reactions: Buckminster
A high-top cargo van with all of the features and technology of the Cybertruck (the air suspension, rear wheel steering, steer by wire, powershare, 48v system, ethernet bus system) would kill multiple categories. It would simultaneously be better than every large SUV on the market while also being more functional than just about every truck in the market (including CT itself) for 80-90% of work usecases. It would be so awesome to see what the Cybervan looks like.
Killing multiple categories is not what Tesla does. Nothing they make is highly configurable from Tesla. No last mile delivery company would pay for rear wheel steering. Air suspension ….. nope. Dream all you want until gas is over $5 a gallon for good on the east coast and diesel over $6.51 the Tesla van ain’t happening.

What could happen is a Ram ProMaster with the hybrid drive. Fast DC charging is not profitable for fleets right now. Decent level 2 to get 122 miles of range in an 8 hour charge yeah that’s probably where the sweet spot is now.

Killing multiple categories is not what Tesla does. Nothing they make is highly configurable from Tesla. No last mile delivery company would pay for rear wheel steering. Air suspension ….. nope. Dream all you want until gas is over $5 a gallon for good on the east coast and diesel over $6.51 the Tesla van ain’t happening.

What could happen is a Ram ProMaster with the hybrid drive. Fast DC charging is not profitable for fleets right now. Decent level 2 to get 122 miles of range in an 8 hour charge yeah that’s probably where the sweet spot is now.

Air suspension lowering the van down to kneel would make it that much easier to load and unload. I'm sure an ergonomic study would show that the decreased strain times 40 hours of work a week would reduce the probability of worker injury by a not insignificant percentage. Likewise the improvement in vehicle maneuverability provided by rear wheel steering and steer-by-wire would reduce probability of low-speed crashes. Both of these would reduce overall liability. I think these improvements are significant enough to justify a well funded and efficient delivery operation paying extra for them. If they were to cost extra--but they won't.

the Rivian EDV and the GM Brightdrop seem like the current leaders for electric cargo vans, with the Mercedes Esprinter just about to come out next year. EDV 500 is $83K and the EDV 700 is $87K. Brightdrop is $85K and the announced price for the Esprinter starts at $74K.

Tesla is planning to deliver the AWD Cybertruck for 80k and the RWD Cybertruck for 60K. I expect that both of them will have rear wheel steering and air suspension. Assuming they do, I believe that tesla could deliver a van on the same platform, with the same features for the same price, plus an additional $5K because the van body contains more metal than a truck body. I think a cybervan could easily beat all of those offerings on price.

with regards to configurability, I think the built-in L-tracks on the Cybertruck bed shows what direction they would take a van. Built in L-tracks in the Van would allow for attachment points for seats, cargo racks, etc, which could be sold by tesla or developed by third parties. I think it could also be easy to connect these accessories (seats specifcally) to the Etherloop. Like, imagine a modular seat with its own built in heating and cooling loop. Just hook it onto the L-rack and then plug it in to an ethernet port hidden under a panel. I think its possible with the 48v system.

And all of this is just talking about its use as a commercial van. A cybervan would *sugar* all over the large SUV market. It would be faster, more capable, more functional, have better much better Off-road capabilities with more significantly more (like 50% more) cargo and passenger capacity than Tahoes, Yukons, Expeditions, R1Ss...etc. Sure, there's the form factor and "looks" factor which might scare some consumers off from buying it, because in our culture vans are either mommywagons or strangers with candy, but if you were to just go by capabilities, why would anyone want to buy any of those aforementioned vehicles if a Cybervan was an option?

Last edited:
So the Tesla Model Y is similar to a van, but it's a minivan
If Tesla made a van (maybe Tesla Model V?), it would be similar to the Honda Odyssey van and the Toyota Sienna van, but it would be fully electric and have Tesla's interior. Maybe the doors could also be like the Model X's?

It would probably range from $70,000 to $80,000

Do you think this would be a good idea for a Tesla Van? :)
I just watched a video on youtube.com which presented about 5 different models of vans...one was essentially a bus.
it seems the poster had no clue what style will be sold. However, the poster seemed to think that the basic cybertruck wheels, batteries, motors, frame would
be used...even for a huge van. Someone quoted that 20 million vans are sold every year...mostly for cargo. I wonder how many passenger style vans are sold
annually? That was one of the styles in the video and the kind i want. Tesla model X suv doesn't cut it for me...too small, i would want another seat or two,
333 mile range is fine, i don't care about seconds to 60mph, but would like to be able to go up a steep grade at 55mph minimum. and i would like to be able to tow a light trailer with a UTV and fuel on it for at least 250 mile range.