Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Van

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It seems to me that whatever van layout they come up with, should be flexible - a people-mover for their tunnel plans (like Vegas) with wide side doors for quick loading and easy access 3 rows of seats, autopilot/robotaxi mode; but also serviceable for things like the courtesy vhicles for hotels and such, and a regular taxi that can accomodate wheelchairs or other special needs.
but also a cargo van for small businesses (mobile service techs?)
and also a general use soccer-mom van for those family applications.

Conveniently, it should be easily convertible to a camper-van, since a vehicle with built-in power supply and environmental heat pump (and no exhaust fumes or engine noise) would be ideal as a camper.

So the short answer is - make it very flexible design. That beats having to make several different products - and a base unit that is flexible could encourage a value-added industry for customizing interiors. I assume one of Tesla's challenges is to carry their high-safety designs over to a van configuration.

It seems to me that whatever van layout they come up with, should be flexible - a people-mover for their tunnel plans (like Vegas) with wide side doors for quick loading and easy access 3 rows of seats, autopilot/robotaxi mode; but also serviceable for things like the courtesy vhicles for hotels and such, and a regular taxi that can accomodate wheelchairs or other special needs.
but also a cargo van for small businesses (mobile service techs?)
and also a general use soccer-mom van for those family applications.

Conveniently, it should be easily convertible to a camper-van, since a vehicle with built-in power supply and environmental heat pump (and no exhaust fumes or engine noise) would be ideal as a camper.

So the short answer is - make it very flexible design. That beats having to make several different products - and a base unit that is flexible could encourage a value-added industry for customizing interiors. I assume one of Tesla's challenges is to carry their high-safety designs over to a van configuration.
Multiple build to order configurations (other than color and wheels) goes against teslas manufacturing paradigm. It will be interesting to see what happens. I don’t think it will be big enough for the American market. I see it as about the size of a transit connect.

Look at Mercedes electric van plans. I don’t think Tesla to copy that. Mercedes Plans One Electric Van Platform To Rule Them All - CleanTechnica

Mercedes Sprinter or Transit size is my expectation:
Would work as a small RV also.
Nothing that big will be practical for the next 5 years IMO. Battery pack sauce would need to be 200kwh or larger to get range larger ranges. Look at the eTransit 175 range. I would never buy a van with that kinda range of range when ICE versions are available. If towing you get half the rated range? Same thing goes for large SUVs. I don’t see the Suburban and Expedition get any BEV competition any time soon.

As far a robo taxis go. I don’t see any reason for a big van. Something Mazda 5 size. Maybe as large as a mini van?

The whole robo taxi concept will dictate size. Know that you don’t have to pay a driver to smaller taxis can make more money as it can run two different fairs at once and one larger taxi.

Just build stripped chassis and let customers and outfitters configure the vehicles the way they want to
1685211331504.png

Reactions: Whatstreet
Just build stripped chassis and let customers and outfitters configure the vehicles the way they want to
View attachment 941641
That would be like the "skateboard" concept that everyone talked about once upon a time, that seems to have been more ubiquitous in the pages of Popular Mechanics than in any real-world vehicles on the road. I guess the first step is to be making enough chassis that the customization can grow beyond a cottage industry.

Just got back from Ford dealership. Saw 6 transit passenger wagons on the lot. Went to inquire. It’s a two year wait. They are not even taking orders at this time. Maybe the Tesla van will get here before then.

This looks way more comfortable than a model X
View attachment 680896

View attachment 680894
Something like this would be nice, but update and streamline the design may be making it look closer to a Tesla Model X or Y. There is a market for vehicles that can hold 10 people (e.g. airport shuttles, team vehicles, large group rentals, etc.). Plus, add an integrated solar panel standard, as some other manufacturers are already doing thankfully!

So the Tesla Model Y is similar to a van, but it's a minivan
If Tesla made a van (maybe Tesla Model V?), it would be similar to the Honda Odyssey van and the Toyota Sienna van, but it would be fully electric and have Tesla's interior. Maybe the doors could also be like the Model X's?

It would probably range from $70,000 to $80,000

Do you think this would be a good idea for a Tesla Van? :)
I believe Elon will want to use the same "format" for a tesla van as a robotaxi. Personally, I'd like a van with at least 8 seats and 2' x4' of storage, seats that fold flat and are removable to carry more. rail mountings for rear seats to allow them to be moved forward/back. solar panels on top that wing outwards and tilt
to the sun?? But only for parking. Allow both solar and grid charging.

Tax credit status is as important as price.

For sure, and to this point, I believe one of the early "initial impression" type reviews stated that VW will build the ID Buzz in Europe first to test the waters in the US, potentially bringing production to the US so it could qualify for the EV Tax credit. I think this is challenging for VW, how do you price the ID Buzz so you don't price yourself out of the segment and can still properly "test the waters" of the North American market in terms of the desirability of the vehicle and customers' willingness to pay for a modern fully electric minivan.

For sure, and to this point, I believe one of the early "initial impression" type reviews stated that VW will build the ID Buzz in Europe first to test the waters in the US, potentially bringing production to the US so it could qualify for the EV Tax credit. I think this is challenging for VW, how do you price the ID Buzz so you don't price yourself out of the segment and can still properly "test the waters" of the North American market in terms of the desirability of the vehicle and customers' willingness to pay for a modern fully electric minivan.
Lease it until that loophole is closed.