Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Vision on HW2.5 cars?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Has anyone with a HW2.5 car received the latest software update and been converted to Tesla Vision?

Trying to understand if Tesla Vision is limited to HW3/FSD equipped cars only. If so, I may cancel my upcoming HW upgrade.

Has anyone with a HW2.5 car received the latest software update and been converted to Tesla Vision?

Trying to understand if Tesla Vision is limited to HW3/FSD equipped cars only. If so, I may cancel my upcoming HW upgrade.
This is a bit off-topic but are you being charged for your HW3 upgrade? I've seen a few posts saying they were given $0 estimates and got it for free. If that's the case I might still get my 2.5 upgraded.

Currently have HW2.5, upgrading tomorrow morning to HW3.0 and currently on 2022.24.5, my car has the radar, no mention in notes if the radar has been removed from the system. Model Y on 2022.24.6 and also no mention on Vision only.

Currently have HW2.5, upgrading tomorrow morning to HW3.0 and currently on 2022.24.5, my car has the radar, no mention in notes if the radar has been removed from the system. Model Y on 2022.24.6 and also no mention on Vision only.

2022.24.5 doesn't remove radar from any model. 2022.24.6 does, but the release note isn't listed under 2022.24.6, it's under 2022.24.

All:

Everyone keeps stating that this latest update to "Tesla Vision" has the effect of "removing" radar or "disabling" radar.

Again, as discussed -- and argued about -- in many other threads, it is NOT clear that "Tesla Vision" has ever actually "disabled" radar.

There has been a lot of evidence that the radar is still used for certain situations, even in vehicles with "Tesla Vision" enabled and, yes, even with "FSD".

For example, according to some of the well-known Tesla software hackers out there, the firmware/software loops that do automatic emergency braking and forward collision warning appear to still check for radar inputs in vehicles that have radar units, even if the vehicle has so-called "FSD" available. Maybe this is only when FSD isn't being used in the moment or maybe it's all the time. Don't know. The point is there's a lot of evidence it's still quietly being checked.

My point is that when Tesla says a vehicle is "Now using Tesla Vision for CERTAIN features," it doesn't mean radar is no longer used. It likely means they're using more camera-only features in the algorithms and training. The wording of the release notes is very interesting.

They do NOT say "your vehicle is no longer using radar" and Tesla does not appear to be asking owners who DO have radar units to acknowledge radar being disabled. This is a marked contrast to when Tesla made people who ordered vehicles with radar acknowledge a statement when they decided to remove radar from vehicles pre-delivery. It's telling that Tesla is not asking owners to acknowledge a similar statement with these software updates.

I -- and others -- suspect the radar is *still* being used in certain situations, and Tesla doesn't want to broadcast that.

R,
B

2022.24.5 doesn't remove radar from any model. 2022.24.6 does, but the release note isn't listed under 2022.24.6, it's under 2022.24.

When my car went to 2022.20.9 it had the "welcome to Tesla vision" notice in the release notes (my 2018 model 3 P which definitely has, or had, radar). I havent tested anything as I dont really care enough to do that, but I did see that message in that firmware update.

When my car went from 20.9 to 24.6 there was no additional tesla vision message, but I just assumed that was because I already got the message in the previous fw version.

@astrobill im not referring to anything you are saying / said. I was just referring to the message in the patch notes, nothing further. As I mentioned, I dont care enough to try to test it, nor look for youtube videos etc. In my own life, I try to "worry about the things I can control" and this isnt one of them, so I am not concerned with it.

AFAIK none of the new code runs on HW2.5-- so I wouldn't expect it to ever go vision only.

Instead I'd expect, much like HW1, it'll eventually be feature-frozen with no updates (related to AP) at all barring if they find a major bug or something.

No, in order to "go camera" you will need HW 3.0. I have HW2.5 and went from 2022.20 (where it was introduced) to 24.5 and then a couple of days ago to 24.6 and I do NOT have Tesla Vision.

As aside note, my app is still showing any upgrade to HW 3.0 is still $1,000.

Upgrade.jpg