Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla wall charger and Charging amps in car

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
When I click on the charging symbol in the car, the charge current us set to 48 amps. Is that set correctly? I was thinking to myself that a normal outlet provides 15-20a end it doubled for the Tesla charger it would be 30-40 amps. I don’t know if I’ve ever changed that charging amp setting. Does it just default to 48 amps automatically?

48 amp is the max for LR (Tesla originally stated SR will max at 32 amp but don't know if that is still the case).

The amp will adjust based on the amp available from the HPWC (dial inside unit to adjust depending on circuit) or the type of adapter/plug being used with the UMC (capped at 32 amp for Gen 2). It will also adjust automatically with J1772 chargers.

I was thinking to myself that a normal outlet provides 15-20a end it doubled for the Tesla charger it would be 30-40 amps.

Also, this is not accurate. A typical outlet is 120 V rated at either 15 amp (most common) [NEMA 5-15] or 20 amp (will have a "T" slot in the outlet) [NEMA 5-20]. However, a Level 2 charger is not just double the amp. The charger would be 240 V, but the amp available depends on how much amp is dedicated from the panel. The most common 240 V outlet for EVs is a NEMA 14-50. The HPWC can accept up to 100 amp.

Also, max power is 80% so a 15 amp outlet will charge at 12 amps.

There are transformers that let you combine two 120 V outlets into a 240 V. You will need to find two outlets on seperate circuits and combining two 120 V 15 amp will get you 240 V 15 amp (not 30 amp).

It will adjust to whatever adapter is feeding it. The only time you really want to touch this is if you are on a circuit that you know is going to trip and need to decrease the current to keep it from tripping.

It's the adapter in the UMC that actually sets the maximum charging current.

When I click on the charging symbol in the car, the charge current us set to 48 amps. Is that set correctly? I was thinking to myself that a normal outlet provides 15-20a end it doubled for the Tesla charger it would be 30-40 amps. I don’t know if I’ve ever changed that charging amp setting. Does it just default to 48 amps automatically?
Wall charger is set to position 9 on rotary dial this is for a 60 Amp circuit which is limited to 48 Amps so you get 43 mph charging rates.

48 amp is the max for LR (Tesla originally stated SR will max at 32 amp but don't know if that is still the case).

The amp will adjust based on the amp available from the HPWC (dial inside unit to adjust depending on circuit) or the type of adapter/plug being used with the UMC (capped at 32 amp for Gen 2). It will also adjust automatically with J1772 chargers.
I have both LR and SR+. I upgraded my house panel from 100 to 200 Amp.
When I charge the LR, will go to 40kwh but the SR+ only to 32kwh

I have both LR and SR+. I upgraded my house panel from 100 to 200 Amp.
When I charge the LR, will go to 40kwh but the SR+ only to 32kwh

I am assuming you mean 40/32 amps and not kWh.

The SR+ will charge Level 2 to a max of 32 amps. The LR can charge at a max of 48 amps but it is up to the connector.

Upgrading your house panel alone wouldn't change your charging, you would also need to upgrade the circuit to 60 amps (with proper wiring to support 60 amps). If you are wired for 60 amps and still only getting 40 amps charging, make sure the rotary switch inside the HPWC is set correctly - should be on 9 for 60 amp circuit (vs 8 for a 50 amp circuit).