Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Wall charger gen 1, replacing the cable hardwired to be J1772 compatible.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This is to charge my non Tesla cars as well. Current set up is a Tesla Wall charger Gen 1 with 8FT cable only specific with Tesla. Bought a 25ft J1772 cable and will be hardwired to the Tesla Wall charger.

Just wondering if anyone have similar project here in the forum. Please advise. Thank you.

Have not tried it, but that seems simple enough. I just rescued an old J1772 charger that was in the trash but the cord and plug seem fine, that might be a good project for me as then my wife could charge from the same charger I use, I'd just have to use my adapter, but that's not a problem. More functionality that way.

Reactions: Edwin Man&Gun
Yes, it's possible and been done before (I've had a Gen 1 Tesla UMC and a Gen 2 Tesla UMC converted to J-1772 instead of the Tesla NACS connector). There are posts detailing the difference in a few wires, but the only one I could find in a quick search was this one that does the opposite Connecting Tesla Charge cable to OpenEVSE box

You may have extra wires that will be unused because the Tesla Wall Connector might have temp sensors at the charge handle (not sure if the Gen 1 had that).

Yes, it's possible and been done before (I've had a Gen 1 Tesla UMC and a Gen 2 Tesla UMC converted to J-1772 instead of the Tesla NACS connector). There are posts detailing the difference in a few wires, but the only one I could find in a quick search was this one that does the opposite Connecting Tesla Charge cable to OpenEVSE box

You may have extra wires that will be unused because the Tesla Wall Connector might have temp sensors at the charge handle (not sure if the Gen 1 had that).
It looks like the Gen 1 Wall Connector only has 2 small wires instead of the 4 that the Gen 2 has for sensing and control, so your cable swap will probably be straightforward. Can anyone send me pics of the inside of their HPWC?