Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Damaged Wall Connector Cable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have a gen 3 wall connector TPN 1457768-01-G and the cable has a large gash that has exposed copper.

1. I assume this isn't repairable?
  2. Where can I get a replacement cable?
  3. Can I use the 24' cable with this model of charger??
  4. Is there any advantage the newest model charger has over this one?

Thanks in advance!
Image_20231116_150424_606.jpeg

Attachments

• unnamed.jpg
    unnamed.jpg
    136.1 KB · Views: 30
You didn't mention where along the cable the damage is, but I might consider cutting off the damaged portion and reattaching the remainder to the base. That would be the "repair" option.

Obviously, care would.need to be taken to ensure it's done as well as the original. It could be soldered directly to a PCB, etc.

Just want to add that the "replacement cable" option might need the same procedure... essentially cutting off the damaged portion would leave you with your replacement cable, albeit shorter.

Not sure if that cable is soldered, in a harness, torqued down with screws, etc though.

I'm sure the cable can be replaced with an OEM part. Have you contacted Tesla?

Im not so sure, I dont think Tesla sells replacement cables, actually. OP would need to contact them to find out, but they certainly arent on the Tesla website to purchase that I see.

There are third parties like EVSE adapters (EVSE Adapters) that might have it, since thats sort of their business model.

1. Is there any advantage the newest model charger has over this one?

If by "newest" you mean the Universal wall connector, the only advantage of that one is being able to (supposedly) easily charge non Tesla EVs.

Reactions: Soul Surfer
Sorry, I should've taken the time to write one long response instead of several piecemeal. 😄

But essentially, the undamaged portion of the cable is a replacement cable, assuming it's long enough for your needs.

Anyone confident enough to swap your damaged wiring with a replacement wiring should be just a competent to cut your and use it as the replacement.

1. I assume this isn't repairable?
  2. Where can I get a replacement cable?
  3. Can I use the 24' cable with this model of charger??
  4. Is there any advantage the newest model charger has over this one?
1) it is indeed repairable-ish. If you don't mind opening up the base unit(see Gen3 HPWC disassembly, with overheating issues explained!) and there's only one conductor inside with damaged insulation and the copper is only visible(not broken). I'd take apart the base unit, disconnect/remove the cable, put some heat shrink tubing with built in heat-activated adhesive on it over the damaged part of the cable and heat to shrink/seal it, good as new(almost). Note that you COULD probably get heat shrink tubing that'll pass over the charge handle, but I'm not sure if it'll shrink enough to grab the cord on the Gen3. I have some I used to repair a Gen2 cord that was pulling out of its handle, but the Gen2 cord is somewhat bulkier than the Gen3.

2) Tesla does not sell them separately. You can sometimes get them on Ebay. Note that the Gen2 and Gen3 cables are different and not real interchangeable. Obviously the conductors are basically the same, but the ends/lengths of conductors after the cable sheath are different.

3) That probably IS a 24' cable. by the -G revision I think they were all 24'. In any case, the 8.5, 18, and 24' cables are identical except for length.

4) The newest option is a combination J772a/NACS connector, besides that, there is no benefit.

Here's an 18' Gen3 cable on ebay... OEM Tesla Motors Gen 3 Wall Charger 1457768-01-F CABLE ONLY 18-FT (replacement) | eBay

Last edited: