Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Wall Connector - Wiring Diagram Question

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Per the wiring instructions, from left to right it shows green, red, black. It’s clear that the ground wire goes to the far left side.

IMG_8662.jpeg

Does it matter where the red wire goes and where the black wire goes? What if they were swapped?

The reason I ask is my electrician did it with two black wires…so I’m not sure if it matters or not.

Per the wiring instructions, from left to right it shows green, red, black. It’s clear that the ground wire goes to the far left side.

View attachment 968503

Does it matter where the red wire goes and where the black wire goes? What if they were swapped?

The reason I ask is my electrician did it with two black wires…so I’m not sure if it matters or not.
Doesn’t matter. They can be swapped and it works fine. The US residential power system is a split phase system where each leg is 120V to ground, yet 180 degrees out of phase with each other. So the two legs are always 240V to each other.

• Informative
Reactions: Rocky_H

View attachment 968503

No, it does not matter. It's nice to have a red and black wire but it is not required. Your two back wires go back to the main panel and are connected to one breaker that is connected to two different phases of 110-120v at 180 degree apart. The difference gives you the 220-240V. If you know which wire was the same you can put a red piece of tape on it at the panel and at the charger to note which one is which. But there is no functional difference in how it will work. It's only to communicate to future electricians.