Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla: we need more control over our PowerWalls

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Thanks for the detail.

What I suppose irks me is that our installer gave the impression that my providing an ethernet cable to the Gateway was a deal-breaker; it would have been more "up front" if they'd said "please provide a cable, but it's not the end of the world if you can't because there's a back up mobile network facility".

Don't get me wrong, I'm not one of these conspiracy theorists who objects to 5G or mobile signals as such, but this whole encounter with Tesla really does annoy me, because I object to giving house room to devices that I don't have last-resort control over, and which as a result I don't effectively own outright.

And as I keep saying, in the hope that others who read this will be warned, if I'd known all this I'd have NEVER bought into Tesla.

I think it's a case of "one control freak (Musk) meeting another one (Me)", and it's not going well!

Thanks for the detail.

What I suppose irks me is that our installer gave the impression that my providing an ethernet cable to the Gateway was a deal-breaker; it would have been more "up front" if they'd said "please provide a cable, but it's not the end of the world if you can't because there's a back up mobile network facility".

Don't get me wrong, I'm not one of these conspiracy theorists who objects to 5G or mobile signals as such, but this whole encounter with Tesla really does annoy me, because I object to giving house room to devices that I don't have last-resort control over, and which as a result I don't effectively own outright.

And as I keep saying, in the hope that others who read this will be warned, if I'd known all this I'd have NEVER bought into Tesla.

I think it's a case of "one control freak (Musk) meeting another one (Me)", and it's not going well!
I'm a bit confused what are you objecting to that you don't have control over on your network that is any different than any other IOT device?

Stop digging Redhill-qik :)

Many of us - perhaps most of us our side of the Atlantic - don't have many of these things, and certainly not networked. I have eight satellite receivers, but only two of them are connected to the network (and that almost killed me achieving that) and the important thing is that they work doing their intended function of providing me with television and radio from the rest of Europe without a network connection, and I retain full control over them. The network connection is a convenience not an essential. I also have three printers, but they're connected direct to the computer. Why would I want them on a network? I have to admit I don't even know what Roku is, and I certainly don't want Alexa (who I have heard of) listening in as I go about my business.......

The point is that we DON'T have total last resort control over the Powerwall, and in the British case (with our ever changing weather) the Tesla algorithm often makes poor or even disastrously wrong decisions. And it needs to be connected to Tesla HQ to work properly. All of that I object to very strongly indeed; (maybe it's a British thing, objecting strongly 🇬🇧 :)).

What is so difficult for Tesla to allow us control over nightly charging, or issue a Desktop version of the app, or put a calendar function on the app, or cut the bloat on the existing app so it doesn't cause cheaper/older phones to fall over when they try and use it?

Still, a bit of me is very envious of your set up, it does sound rather magnificent!

Totally agree on not being WAN connected. While I want all my devices to be networked, I don't want a dependency on being connected to the outside world. Not only does this present performance/availability issues (I am not on the best internet service) but of course security issues too. And after experiencing decades of seeing how interconnect cloud based systems are designed and operated, its the rare device I am interested in depending on in that realm.

The dependency on cloud access (via internet or 4G) to be able to control the Powerwall is just seriously flawed design. One reason to have a Powerwall is island mode - being able to continue to consume solar generation and have battery backup during a grid outage. When the grid is out things like internet and 4G can often be out too, meaning no cloud access and no control. Local control of any domestic device is a basic starting point, then you add cloud services so owners can view pretty graphs of charging activity etc. while on holiday in a distant place whoop, so exciting (sarcasm).

I'd buy you a beer xWren if I could. Quite right, well said. But I'm afraid I don't think the wretched Musk understands anyone other than himself being a control-freak. Or the simple common-sense practicalities you describe so accurately.

Thankyou to the OP for this thread as i've been banging my head against this problem for years now. About 4 years i've been running a powerwall with my rooftop solar with solaredge and it does everything right except it almost completely lacks the ability to charge off peak. If you're thinking of getting a PW for this then don't, there are other manufacturers out there - Powervault for eg - which will guarantee off peak charging by utilizing a "force charge" option based on time based controls. Tesla could easily implement this in their own app but over time i have come to realise that they couldn't give a damn what we think as Powerwall customers and continue to give us what they think is best.
Why do i say this? Well i contacted UK technical support years ago on many occasions about this asking that my ideas were fed back up the chain as it were, i was told, years ago, that this was the number 1 requested feature in the UK and yet still Tesla do not listen. Even now. I posted on the Tesla forum - a post i am unable to find today but ill keep looking - where others commented as well but noone from Tesla itself listens.

Unfortunately with a Powerwall, as many here already realise, we are limited to the ability to set off peak times only. It is then up to the algorithm (ie a piece of software) to decide whether it will charge up the battery during this off peak period. Everything in my house is electric (heat pump for heating and hot water, electric car, electric lawn mower ffs) so i really expected to receive a system that made the best usage of off peak. Unfortunately Powerwall does not do that and has been a huge letdown given the nonsense they spout on their info pages about using cheap electricty during peak times. I'm sorry but i have to call it out for what it is - lies, complete and utter lies giving you the false sense that you'll ve using cheap nighttime electricty during the day...which it regularly and persistently fails to do!!

Originally i was on an economy 7 plan so i relied on the powerwall charging up on cheap night rates during the winter as let's be honest, through mid spring through to early or mid autumn it's not really an issue as you get plenty of solar.
The problem would be that if i ever got any solar during the day, as little as say 4kwh, then i would be punished for this by waking up to a battery that had put zero, and i mean ZERO juice into itself overnight from the grib. This would continue for several days, you know, just in case the sun might come out for a tiny amount of time, let's not charge the battery up at all eh? Even though on a daily basis the most simple of maths would show how i was ripping loads of energy off the grid. Even on days where i'd get some solar and my usage was waaaaay over what was had generated the stupid battery still woulnd't even make up the balance!! The only way around this is to set the reserve power slider to a high or max level but as this forces the battery to start charging from the grid immediately you can only set this during your offpeak hours when ususally you're asleep!

So the two things that really frustrate me about my Powerwall system is that 1)tesla don't listen, or they listen but don't care and 2)the powerwall doesn't do what it says it should do on their website.

For a little while now i've been on the Octopus Tesla tariff which works pretty well, not perfect, but you know, ok. That's been binned now -so much for their virtual powerwall utopia- but my contract runs till the end of this year so i'll have to look for an alternative tariff at that time. It is for that reason i found this post and i read with interest that possibly our systems now look at weather forecasts and can predict when to charge more reliably? I mean here in the UK our weather changes rapidly and my powerwall can't even seem to do basic maths so i don't hold out much hope but maybe things have improved?
Next time i move i'm definitley not buying another powerwall for the new place, even if it means sacrificing some storage capacity as i'm fed up with Tesla and their inability to, as the forum title suggests, give us more control. The principle of solar plus battery is great, just be warned about the powerwall anyone who reads this. They're not all they're cracked up to be but too much of an investment to easily change once you've got one.

Reactions: mw963
Thankyou to the OP for this thread as i've been banging my head against this problem for years now. About 4 years i've been running a powerwall with my rooftop solar with solaredge and it does everything right except it almost completely lacks the ability to charge off peak. If you're thinking of getting a PW for this then don't, there are other manufacturers out there - Powervault for eg - which will guarantee off peak charging by utilizing a "force charge" option based on time based controls. Tesla could easily implement this in their own app but over time i have come to realise that they couldn't give a damn what we think as Powerwall customers and continue to give us what they think is best.
Why do i say this? Well i contacted UK technical support years ago on many occasions about this asking that my ideas were fed back up the chain as it were, i was told, years ago, that this was the number 1 requested feature in the UK and yet still Tesla do not listen. Even now. I posted on the Tesla forum - a post i am unable to find today but ill keep looking - where others commented as well but noone from Tesla itself listens.

Unfortunately with a Powerwall, as many here already realise, we are limited to the ability to set off peak times only. It is then up to the algorithm (ie a piece of software) to decide whether it will charge up the battery during this off peak period. Everything in my house is electric (heat pump for heating and hot water, electric car, electric lawn mower ffs) so i really expected to receive a system that made the best usage of off peak. Unfortunately Powerwall does not do that and has been a huge letdown given the nonsense they spout on their info pages about using cheap electricty during peak times. I'm sorry but i have to call it out for what it is - lies, complete and utter lies giving you the false sense that you'll ve using cheap nighttime electricty during the day...which it regularly and persistently fails to do!!

Originally i was on an economy 7 plan so i relied on the powerwall charging up on cheap night rates during the winter as let's be honest, through mid spring through to early or mid autumn it's not really an issue as you get plenty of solar.
The problem would be that if i ever got any solar during the day, as little as say 4kwh, then i would be punished for this by waking up to a battery that had put zero, and i mean ZERO juice into itself overnight from the grib. This would continue for several days, you know, just in case the sun might come out for a tiny amount of time, let's not charge the battery up at all eh? Even though on a daily basis the most simple of maths would show how i was ripping loads of energy off the grid. Even on days where i'd get some solar and my usage was waaaaay over what was had generated the stupid battery still woulnd't even make up the balance!! The only way around this is to set the reserve power slider to a high or max level but as this forces the battery to start charging from the grid immediately you can only set this during your offpeak hours when ususally you're asleep!

So the two things that really frustrate me about my Powerwall system is that 1)tesla don't listen, or they listen but don't care and 2)the powerwall doesn't do what it says it should do on their website.

For a little while now i've been on the Octopus Tesla tariff which works pretty well, not perfect, but you know, ok. That's been binned now -so much for their virtual powerwall utopia- but my contract runs till the end of this year so i'll have to look for an alternative tariff at that time. It is for that reason i found this post and i read with interest that possibly our systems now look at weather forecasts and can predict when to charge more reliably? I mean here in the UK our weather changes rapidly and my powerwall can't even seem to do basic maths so i don't hold out much hope but maybe things have improved?
Next time i move i'm definitley not buying another powerwall for the new place, even if it means sacrificing some storage capacity as i'm fed up with Tesla and their inability to, as the forum title suggests, give us more control. The principle of solar plus battery is great, just be warned about the powerwall anyone who reads this. They're not all they're cracked up to be but too much of an investment to easily change once you've got one.

Since this thread was over a year old before you posted in it, during that time, tesla has released (at least in the US) the ability to custom configure buy sell behavior, multiple peaks, etc. So, are you saying you dont have these options in your tesla app?

Since this thread was over a year old before you posted in it, during that time, tesla has released (at least in the US) the ability to custom configure buy sell behavior, multiple peaks, etc. So, are you saying you dont have these options in your tesla app?

While the app does support custom buy-sell prices users are still at the mercy of an undocumented algorithm that requires experimentation to try to get the Powerwall behavior to match what the user wants to do.

It would be simpler to just give us direct control of the functionality.

Reactions: cali8484
I would like both. The ability to understand what model is being used for the "automatic" approach, and a means to customize the app when I feel auto does not suit my particular needs.

I actually was manually turning things on and off until lately after I discovered by accident Tesla had altered the model to better suit my use case. Who knows how long I needlessly was doing that.

While the app does support custom buy-sell prices users are still at the mercy of an undocumented algorithm that requires experimentation to try to get the Powerwall behavior to match what the user wants to do.

^^ this.

Strange i was not notified or responses here i'll have to check my settings on this forum.

However, yes we are still at the mercy of an algorithm to dictate by how much charge is put into the battery. You can only specify "peak" and "off peak" times and let the algorithm decide. Last time i checked the algorithm couldn't even do basic maths to make up the difference between what was stored and and what was used. It failed time and time again to "figure out" how much power i would use even if it was relatively the same every day.
However you come at it i was getting sick and tired of waking up with a battery that had taken no notice of off peak whatsever meaning i'd be using full rate electricity during the day, entirely different from the claims of "using cheap electricity during the day" as per Tesla's own marketing. How can they say that if the batteries won't charge up during off peak??

Whether this thread is old or not, if there's not another i'd like to hear current feedback from uk customers with regard to this issue. There seems to be, or at least was, some debate as to whether the algorithm was taking note of predicted weather forecasts now. If so, at least it would mitigate the problem somewhat.
I can't check myself as my options are currently removed as i'm part of the uk "virtual powerplant" until this tariff ends later this year as i previously mentioned. I'm just really not looking forward to going back to a situation where the battery is as intelligent as my left foot, and with no way to force a charge during off peak rates.

I'm with aesculus though with his/her post - I'm not saying remove the algorithm, I mean maybe it works for some people, great, just give us the choice to manually set some sort of "force charge" option between certain hours. Currently the only way to do this is to set the reserve level, which you should only do during those cheap hours, usually when you're asleep. It's not rocket science, i'm just asking that we have this option as well - i mean, why not????

Reactions: mw963
FWIW, according to the release notes Tesla added the consideration of solar forecasts to the charging behavior in version 22.26 (released September 2022). Here in the US, it does seem to work. My Powerwalls charged to nearly full overnight the past two days when it was raining. The forecast for today is partly cloudy, and they charged only to 77%.

Reactions: aesculus
FWIW, according to the release notes Tesla added the consideration of solar forecasts to the charging behavior in version 22.26 (released September 2022). Here in the US, it does seem to work. My Powerwalls charged to nearly full overnight the past two days when it was raining. The forecast for today is partly cloudy, and they charged only to 77%.
I noticed similar behavior recently and was unaware of the 22.26 feature. I thought it was magic. :)

Thankyou for the info. It seems i'm on 22.36.6 so hopefully forecast information is now considered. I'd still like the control myself, which they can easily do, but choose not to which worries me a bit. I'm all for consumer choice and let the consumer decide. Anyhow, this sounds like an improvement. I'll only be able to tell when my existing tariff ends and that will be a few more versions down the line so possibillity for further improvements i hope.

My Powerwall (now 5 years old) has progressively behaved much more intelligently as Tesla improved the available features. I reckon it started considering the solar forecast about one year ago although that feature wasn't officially launched until several months later. I suspect that the ability to forecast solar generation in the UK is limited by the local variability in the weather. It's possible to give the battery extra guidance by adjusting the unit rates. My Powerwall has realised that the big difference between the peak and off-peak rates and the off-peak rate being only slightly more thn the export rate means it's better to be generous with the off-peak charging.

• Informative
Reactions: bemyax