Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla website says vehicle has repair history but carfax was clean?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
so i am looking at used car from tesla. its flagged as not having a clean title. so, i decided to pay for the Carfax.. that came up completely clean. anyone know how to interpret that?

also, anyone buy a 'has been repaired' car and care to share experience? given how poor a reputation tesla already has.. not sure about a repaired one.

so i am looking at used car from tesla. its flagged as not having a clean title. so, i decided to pay for the Carfax.. that came up completely clean. anyone know how to interpret that?

also, anyone buy a 'has been repaired' car and care to share experience? given how poor a reputation tesla already has.. not sure about a repaired one.

Not all repair shops participate in Carfax especially those that work on high end cars. Tesla knows about repairs because they require a VIN when shops order OEM parts.

• Informative
Reactions: dark cloud
Carfax means nothing. If Carfax shows nothing you still have to examine the car as if there were no such thing. If carfax shows an accident that's been repaired it only shows you what area you need to pay more attention to during your inspection to make sure the repairs were done right.

thanks for feedback. i guess all i know is that tesla knows something carfax doesn't.

all these cars have the same phrase
"This vehicle has a reported previous accident and was repaired to Tesla's standards"

guess i will fall back on .. has anyone bought one of these and did they ever give you what they knew and when in the process you were able to get it?

@sd_tom: My case was, I bought an inventory car from Tesla with 300+ miles on it. They sold it to me as new with no damage report at all. Carfax was clean. Later on I find out, the vehicle had been in an 'accident' or something (Tesla refused to tell me exactly what). And they did a buyback. Here's the thread, if you want to read it over your morning coffee. Or evening beer.

So, to address your Q and as someone else wrote above: Don't take Tesla on their face value. Take an autobody expert or someone to help you with your purchase. Let them put it on a jack so you can take a good look @ the underbody as well. OR ... get Tesla to offer you extended warranty, bumper to bumper, for the next 4+ years or so. The Tesla 70 point inspection is bogus imho.

Good luck.

for closure on this, after i put a deposit down the sales rep said the rear bumper was replaced.. suggested this might happen if there was a puncture or really bad scratch when it was turned in (a lease vehicle)

so.. proceeding forward