Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Blog Tesla: What to Expect in 2018

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Following Tesla, there are always surprises. You never know when Elon Musk is going to launch a car into space or tweet about drilling tunnels, selling flamethrowers, or building a 50s style diner with food delivery on rollerskates.

A few things that we should expect in 2018:

Ramping Model 3 production to 5,000 per week

Standard range Model 3 deliveries

Dual motor Model 3

Announcing locations and perhaps even breaking ground on one or two new Gigafactory locations

Coast to coast autonomous drive

Solar roof tile deliveries

Megacharger location deployments

Sneak peaks of the Roadster 2020 and Semi as they start road testing

New Tesla mobile app with several new features

By July 2018, Tesla will be the first automaker to cross the 200,000 U.S. vehicle delivery mark. This starts the countdown to phase out the U.S. federal incentive for Tesla’s vehicles.

A few things we might see:

A reveal event for Model Y

More info about Tesla Pickup Truck (what is the game-changing feature?)

Performance version of Model 3

Model S and X interior redesign to bring it up to snuff with the Model 3 minimalism

Model S and X moving to the 2170 cell. This is certainly possible, but given the desire to ramp Model 3 as fast as possible, it may be a good idea to keep S & X on the unconstrained 18650 for another year.

120kWh Model S / X: if these vehicles move to the 2170, a range upgrade would be a nice add-on.

Improved voice commands that reduce the need to use the touchscreen for many settings

TeslaTunes streaming music service

Tesla Network ridesharing service

Surprises that we could never predict

What surprises do you expect from Tesla in 2018?

TMC Member Patrick0101 is a solar and electric vehicle advocate who blogs at Cars With Cords

Last edited by a moderator:
the trunk storage compartment fits two Segways perfectly ... they nest together, I highly recommend you spend the $500/ea and grab two of them... so much fun to zoom around when you're charging! And the cable storage area to the left fits a Mavic Pro or SJI Spark drone perfectly too... the perfect nerd combination...
I agree with alot of your suggestions including the lit up Ts, but wanted to know which models of segway do you have in your trunk?

Figure out how to make the sun visors actually functional for people my height (6'2"). As they are, unless I grind my seat down so low I can't get out of it without a derrick, the sunshades are simply too low.
I have an X too. The visor is on a swing arm, you can put it where ever you need it. It does not have to be clipped in at the magnet spot. And you can fold it out to double the size, then you can have it flipped up or down, again effectively doubling the size. With that and being able to move it to any angle you want, I have not had any problem with blocking the sun.

I have an X too. The visor is on a swing arm, you can put it where ever you need it. It does not have to be clipped in at the magnet spot. And you can fold it out to double the size, then you can have it flipped up or down, again effectively doubling the size. With that and being able to move it to any angle you want, I have not had any problem with blocking the sun.
It's still not large enough for tall people. Not even close--even when opened.

• Disagree
Reactions: Patrick0101
Would love a Model 3 Tesla battery pack that I can buy optionally and put in the huge compartment under the trunk. Then the option to set the car to super charge from the pack when parked when no other charger available or even better, just add it to the existing capacity. In Canada I would have purchased the long range version, but would not have gotten the 5K government rebate. Having an option to add battery capacity would be golden!