Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla will disable supercharging if you don’t add a payment source?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

AMPd

Nov 27, 2012
Fort Worth, TX
B05266D7-CC4C-4D67-AA14-DF9BFF63F608.png
I sold one of my model s’s and the guy must have left the car idling at a busy supercharger.

It’s strange they haven’t yet removed the car from my profile.

The Electrek article, Tesla increases Supercharger idle fees to decrease wait times, said:

Furthermore, Tesla owners cannot let their unpaid balance for those fees, or regular Supercharging fees, exceed $50 or Tesla will block Supercharger access.

But I can't find mention of that on Tesla's site. If it is true, as long as you keep your fees paid you shouldn't have to add a credit card to your account.

Last edited:
  • Disagree
Reactions: TexasEV and AMPd
I was on west coast last summer, all of the SC were full all the time. So far on east coast i have never seen a full super charger spot. Potomac Mills comes close, but not every station.
I think as the 3s flood the country we will see more full stations. I've seen them in Orlando, Jacksonville and here.
Folks that buy 3s and dont have home charge ability will be at super chargers a lot.

I was on west coast last summer, all of the SC were full all the time. So far on east coast i have never seen a full super charger spot. Potomac Mills comes close, but not every station.
I think as the 3s flood the country we will see more full stations. I've seen them in Orlando, Jacksonville and here.
Folks that buy 3s and dont have home charge ability will be at super chargers a lot.

The past two times i went to Qualcomm in San Diego to charge to burn like 20 minutes there was a FIVE CAR WAIT.... That place used to be near empty, like 12+ stalls. Unreal.

How are you going to pay your fees if you haven’t added a credit card to your account? The process needs to be automatic and seamless, otherwise it adds an expense for Tesla.

You can pay it at a service center. I'm not saying you should, but if for some reason you don't want to, or can't, add a credit card to your account I don't think you have to.