Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla with lights on and in P in car park

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I parked in San Jose car park and I saw another Tesla model 3 left with its lights and display on.
All the doors are closed. does this mean they left their valet key or phone inside the car?
I’m calling Tesla to report it but haven’t been able to get through.
What should I do?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    431.4 KB · Views: 109
Trying to figure out how this could happen. So if the headlights are on and the screen is too to me it sounds like the car was left on and maybe never put in Park (did OP see it in that gear on the screen?). Maybe still in drive on Hold. I've pulled into a parking lot and come to a stop in a parking space and without going into park and I know my lights were still on and the screen on. But while sitting in the car after maybe 15 minutes, the car will go into Park itself and after more time it will turn off with me sitting inside. But in the case of leaving it in Hold and not Park, I don't see how the driver could leave the car without it going into Park as you exit. I've done that too and when you open the driver's door you get an alert that the car has put itself into park. In the above case no driver was in car. Puzzled. Love to know how this could happen. Never left my phone or key card in the car so no experience with that.

BTW today I was online on the Tesla site at 3pm PT (Sunday) and was surprised to see the chat button in the lower right corner active. I thought they weren't online during the weekend. Maybe staffing has changed and customer support is there on the weekend now if the phone was picked up?

chat - 1 (1).jpeg

Last edited:
Note there is no clearance on the driver side door.

This happened most likely because the driver slipped out the passenger side door to exit the vehicle, as that may have been the easiest way out. In that case, the car will not turn off unless you open and then close the driver door after unweighting the driver seat weight sensor. Presumably eventually it will, but no idea really.

Happened to me once, but I noticed, and have not tested the “end game” scenario. So I don’t know how the story ends. I believe the car is unlocked in this state, but not 100% sure. The driver may or may not have had his phone with him (it is not necessary to leave the phone in the car for this to happen).

Good on @peterept for taking care of it.

Side story: The lengths you have to go to to avoid door dings! Ironically the first time this happened to me I actually did get a severe door ding in spite of my efforts to maximize space to the car next to me. Fortunate PDR took care of it so $300 later I was fine. Now I just never park next to anyone.

Last edited:
Good point about the closeness to the wall although it looks like he's pretty close to the parking line on the passenger side too. I don't use Summon. Anyone know how using that to park the car would affect lights, locks, etc.? Once the car is in it's parked spot do you have to manually go to the app and Lock the doors to have the car turn off?

Good point about the closeness to the wall although it looks like he's pretty close to the parking line on the passenger side too. I don't use Summon. Anyone know how using that to park the car would affect lights, locks, etc.? Once the car is in it's parked spot do you have to manually go to the app and Lock the doors to have the car turn off?

Close to the wall, and walls are very unforgiving with your paint if you hit them, unlike when you hit a car with your door. :) Pictures are also deceptive - I think there is likely a lot more room on the passenger side.

Summon: It’ll behave normally after Summon. The driver almost certainly just got out the passenger side in this case. It is a pretty simple explanation - try it with your own car if you want to see it. I didn’t realize the lights stayed on as well - I just noticed the screen was still on and had to go back to fix the issue.

Note there is no clearance on the driver side door.

This happened most likely because the driver slipped out the passenger side door to exit the vehicle, as that may have been the easiest way out. In that case, the car will not turn off unless you open and then close the driver door after unweighting the driver seat weight sensor. Presumably eventually it will, but no idea really.

Happened to me once, but I noticed, and have not tested the “end game” scenario. So I don’t know how the story ends. I believe the car is unlocked in this state, but not 100% sure. The driver may or may not have had his phone with him (it is not necessary to leave the phone in the car for this to happen).

Good on @peterept for taking care of it.

Side story: The lengths you have to go to to avoid door dings! Ironically the first time this happened to me I actually did get a severe door ding in spite of my efforts to maximize space to the car next to me. Fortunate PDR took care of it so $300 later I was fine. Now I just never park next to anyone.

I will park a state over to avoid door dings. I will walk in any weather to avoid them.

I just confirmed that in this state the car can be driven without having to re-enter a PIN (I use PIN to drive), and without having a phone or key card present. This is ASSUMING that the thief knows one important condition for making off with the car (which I will not detail here, but pretty sure it is super easy to see the requirement). Again, good for the OP.

Kind of a bug, I guess, but not sure whether there is any good way to deal with it, because fixing it would render the car undriveable if your seat sensor failed (which is something that happens sometimes - and you also might easily temporarily unweight the seat). Or at least, in the event of sensor failure, it would keep going into park if the passenger door were open, in one possible fix implementation. Would be annoying.

Last edited:
Close to the wall, and walls are very unforgiving with your paint if you hit them, unlike when you hit a car with your door. :) Pictures are also deceptive - I think there is likely a lot more room on the passenger side.

Summon: It’ll behave normally after Summon. The driver almost certainly just got out the passenger side in this case. It is a pretty simple explanation - try it with your own car if you want to see it. I didn’t realize the lights stayed on as well - I just noticed the screen was still on and had to go back to fix the issue.

I'm picturing you climbing over your center console in the name of science. Well done, you!

• Funny
Reactions: AlanSubie4Life
I'm picturing you climbing over your center console in the name of science. Well done, you!

Ha - that is the required maneuver! I didn’t have shoes on, so it was a bit easier to perform the maneuver without fear of damage to the car, relative to the several previous times I have done this.

I have had to do this on several occasions, so I know about this issue, which is why the solution to this puzzle was pretty clear to me. I just pop the driver door from the passenger side to turn the car off, when I am in this scenario. And lately I just back in (or go in forwards), whichever avoids the clambering in the particular case in question.

Reactions: WilliamG
Ha - that is the required maneuver! I didn’t have shoes on, so it was a bit easier to perform the maneuver without fear of damage to the car, relative to the several previous times I have done this.

I have had to do this on several occasions, so I know about this issue, which is why the solution to this puzzle was pretty clear to me. I just pop the driver door from the passenger side to turn the car off, when I am in this scenario. And lately I just back in (or go in forwards), whichever avoids the clambering in the particular case in question.

It reminds me of when I lived in my apartment in downtown Seattle when I moved there, and because it was a new apartment block with an underground parking lot, I had pretty much free choice of "assigned" parking spot for my STI. Being as anal as I was/am, I picked the space with the concrete wall to the left. I would drive into the space, and then climb over the passenger seat to get out - every single time. It was a pain in the butt but worth it to me to avoid damage. Ironically, the guy who parked next to me still kept hitting my front passenger fender with his door - over and over. I never caught him doing it so couldn't prove it, but you know - ding after ding in the exact same place (give or take a few millimeters) gave it away. Wish I'd had Sentry mode at that point (and Summon, for that matter, so I wouldn't need to keep climbing over seats).

I eventually had PDR done to fix it, but the dings kept coming back from that parking space next to me, so I waited for the next round of PDR until I moved to my first house in Seattle. Of course, I never picked up a ding on that STI from the day I moved out of the apartments till the day I traded the car in.

Reactions: AlanSubie4Life

Congrats on your flexibility! I once got blocked in on both sides in a public lot, passenger side had a bit more room. This was in a huge Avalon with nice slippery smooth leather seats but with center console. I waited 20 minutes or more for either driver to show up but needed to get home. All I remember was it was not fun and I contorted in ways I hope I never have to see again. As you get older it really is not fun.

With the wall close don’t understand why the driver wouldn't just park frunk first. Still think Summon was involved.

Still think Summon was involved.

Summon does not work that way though. Car just closes and locks when complete.

Camp mode? did you check to see if there was someone (or a pet) in the back seat?

Someone may have left the car and used camp mode instead of "keep climate on".

I assume camp mode does not leave the headlights on! I know it is kind of a silly mode with the screen being on, but think the headlights must turn off, right?

• Informative
Reactions: SMAlset